All parent member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Gross, full of inappropriate behaviors. There is nothing positive about this show. It favors questionable language choices, violent conduct and vulgar ways.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byGI-ANT MOM April 10, 2010

Godd for kids of any age! Positive lessons in the end!

I have watched nearly every episode with my children and have found a prominent, positive message in nearly all of them. I would suspect parents who have not really sat with their children to watch might hear bits and peices and pass judgement, but if you see it through and actually take the time to sit with your children to explain things they might be unsure of, it is a perfect opportunity to talk with them heart to heart about real issues that they are or will deal with...Reality!Parents the real world is not like "Leave it to Beaver" and this show helps kids realize that bad things can happen including name calling and fighting etc. and that there are ways to deal with it. my sons have learned many positive words and lessons well beyond his years. Pay attention and you will see... compared to many other shows it is one of the best!
Parent Written bykristinamiracle April 5, 2009

Seriously????

Spongebob is a show thats fine for anyone to watch. If your worried about the type of humor or the language or brutality sorry to bring you to reality but your kids are gonna hear it alot of places other then tv. Ive heard worse things said in school. We have teachers and pastors molesting kids other kids fighting with other kids and kids seeing things thier parents do that u dont think they see and your worried about a cartoon?? Thats ridiculous not to mention from experience I know the more you shelter your kids when their younger the more they are going to be curious and rebel later. Its a cartoon if they like it and it makes them laugh let them watch it if they do something because of it then explain to them whats right and wrong were their parents thats what were here for. I dont rely on a cartoon to teach my kids right and wrong and if you do then u are one lazy parent.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoeyBroey177 August 15, 2010

Any age

Not violent at all.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byHaidensMommy01 September 30, 2009

Spongebob isnt appropriate for the young audience it appeals to.

Ive seen numerous butt's in this cartoon and although it is funny it isnt for my 2 year old daughter who wants to watch spongebob because her older cousin does. I also watched the movie which shows spongebob in the shower with squidward and then they get "drunk" off ice cream and spongebob wakes up with a hangover and is late for work. These are not messages i want to send to my child. Also at one point Patrick asks the mermaid if she has seen his underwear to which she replys no and he says Do you want to? ... things like this may be over my 2 year olds head but not my 8 year old cousin who is laughing and then repeating it. I dont think spongebob is appropriate for children under the age of 14.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byMeredithR July 12, 2010

Junk food for the mind

Sponge Bob is like junk food for the mind. Of all the wonderful kids programming out there, we just don't waste our time on shows our daughter won't get anything positive out of. The characters don't treat their friends well - we teach our kids to respect other people, which includes not hitting their friends. But Sponge Bob does it, so why not? And I really don't want my kids calling their buddies "idiot" or "stupid", or generally acting rude. The last straw for me was when my 3.5 year old spit at me and later spit on her brother. She later told me that Patrick did it and it was funny. Great role model! There are much better shows out there, people!
Adult Written bysadiesmom December 22, 2009

Spoungebob is a great cartoon! All 3 of my kids- ages 4,6, ans 8 love this show! I enjoy watching it myself. It is a positive, happy, educational cartoon and it brings everyones spirits up. Spoungebob also has alot of comedy that keeps my kids laughing through the entire episode. I only wish they would have more air time for this cartoon! I highly recommend it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Funny for the whole family

We absolutely adore this show! It's the only cartoon on tv that our whole family can sit down and enjoy together. It's funny, and fortunately my daughter knows that "stupid" and other such words that are used in the show are not words that are OK for her to use. I love that Spongebob has such a good heart and is too innocent and trusting to think that anyone would be out to do him harm. My favorite example of this is when Mr Krabs tries to insult Spongebob by saying a hat he's wearing makes him look like a girl. Spongebob's response was a huge, eye batting grin and says "am I a PRETTY girl?" Hilarious!
Adult Written bycozens4791 June 2, 2012

Which Spongebob Are We Talking About? Spongebob 90's or Spongebob Now?

I have a love and hate relationship with this show. SpongeBob is one the most popular shows in the world but does popular mean good? He's a cute little sponge who is a fry cook and has a colorful bunch of friends. However, the recent episodes (I'm talking 2005 up) are really obnoxious. The stories seem more bland and repetitive. The dialogue seems dumb down and every frame seems to be on sugar rush its way too fast. I would rate this show more on a obnoxious level than anything and what your child takes from the show. If your child is already bouncing off the walls I would stray from this or nick in general, PBS is always a fine choice! If you child has to watch Sponge bob I HIGHLY recommend seasons 1 and 2 with the show. Its slower, its witty, and you can watch it your kid and maybe share a laugh instead of pulling out your hair with the recent episodes. The quality of the show has declined over the years and I am basing my rating (4 stars) entirely on the first two seasons. Final thought:fine for a Saturday morning but not all the time.
Parent Written bydjogoku June 19, 2011

Not educational! Just something to shake your head and laugh at. Maybe ok for teens but NOT for younger kids, toddlers and babies

It's not the worst show out there but it's definitely not something you want to put in front of your newborn or toddler. The first 5 years of a kids life should be filled with things that will shape their lives in a positive way. Spongebob is just something to watch when you want to laugh regardless of the fact that the subject matter may be inappropriate for kids.
Parent Written byfather of a 5yr old February 24, 2011

concerned and not laughing

Although my wife lets my son watch this show and i often find myself watching it with him to explain the wrongs in the show and often turning it off or changing the channel...we must remind ourselves as parents that it is nothing but crude commercialized entertainment and that's it! it on rarities may show how to tie shoes or something the parent needs to teach themselves to the child but other then that its just silly waste of time... there's are things so many things wrong with the charecters to many to list . there's some really disturbing acts that spongebob does that aren't appropriate that send chills when i see the little yellow guy pull off his face to show his brain, his beating heart or pulls out his vein covered eyes and the list goes on and on... the network displays it as Y but before the show it displays Y7 but these are both wrong.. the commercials following the show are disturbing as well . and sends a negative play in my child's view... if you have to explain to a child that its just a cartoon that you cant really pull or cut off your arms with out hurting yourself that its not a show that a child should be watching! It just isn't funny. certainly not to have a Y or a Y7 rating sorry nick but looks like PBS is the better friend to my boy.even though i stand alone here its me against a changing world where things of this nature are widely being accepted. two wrongs just don't make it right...whats next? family guy for our kids? why not its on 24/7 and its funny ...right?
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byBurt Mom August 18, 2009

Not for Toddlers

My daughter came home from daycare saying that if you eat a bee you'll die because they put a bee in a krabby patty and fed it to someone and they died. After some research I've decided she probably saw the "Nasty Patty" episode where they feed the health inspector a krabby patty which has toe nail clippings, has been dropped in the toilet and cleaned with a dirty sock and a fly happens to get in his mouth and he chokes on it. While the inspector is choking they are saying "Watch him suffer". They then decide to bury the body so they don't go to jail. Now granted, the inspector isn't really dead, just unconscious, but this is NOT something I want my 4 year old watching for entertainment. I have not seen the episode personally (nor do I intend to), but it sounds AWFUL (I read the entire transcript) and inappropriate for younger children. It's more than just explaining to a child not to use certain language the characters use. I certainly should not be in a position where I'm telling my 4 year old that she should be burying a body in the yard or feeding gross and nasty things to people!
Parent Written byMattSkelly May 6, 2012

Not for kids.

I get why kids (and adults) like Spongebob. I like it, too, in a way: the manic humor and crazed characters. But it's not really for kids. The pace alone is just crazy—WAY too fast for little ones—and the characters don't really offer much in the way of redeeming messages, in my opinion. Better suited, frankly, for stoned college students.
Parent Written byEllieC April 2, 2012

Nothing good here

I let my son watch this a couple of times when he was little (3 or so) and immediately decided it wasn't a good choice. No educational elements and the characters model some behavior we wouldn't allow in our house. There is really nothing of value in this show for young kids. My oldest is 5 now and although he may occasionally watch at a friend's house, we still don't let him watch it at home.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts November 30, 2011

Crazy as Always

Guys what are you talking about my kids love spongebob. Yeah it was better in the past but still pretty funny. I beg to differ with anybody who doesn't like it. It's cute. It should be Rated TV G or Rated TV Y.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bydwbracewell March 24, 2011

Ok for kids over 7 that understand that the things you do in real life to affect peoples feelings..such as name calling.

Adult Written byneoking2002_neo September 5, 2010

Fun series, but...

Spongebob's great, however it airs WAY TOO MUCH!!! Once or twice a day is fine, but ten times a day, STOP THE PRESSES!!!
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byKevin Quire November 27, 2009

Gets Annoying

The little kids will love this show to a point where you have to leave the house to get some peace and quiet. However anyone around fourteen and up, (as long as they have matured) will find this show just plain annoying.
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

Use Your ***Imagination***

My son and I have been watching this together for years--I even watch it by myself. It makes me giggle and helps me wind down after being at work all day. So, no, somethings don't make sense--like building a fire underwater or the fact that there is a lagoon that people could drown in, even though it is already under water, but geez it's make believe. As adults, we could learn something from this show--to use our IMAGINATIONS!!! I understand that people find it annoying, but even my husband has started sitting down with me to watch. It's a completely harmless, silly cartoon--and if kids don't know the difference between reality and a cartoon, perhaps it's time someone explained it to them!
Parent Written bytreat02 February 26, 2012

terrible

There is a study that this show actully makes kids stupider. The content is very unrealistic, i mean what happens would NEVER happen in real life. Spongebob living in a pineapple? Really? Pineapple don't grow under the sea, that is what i am talking about, unrealistic. If spongebob is living alone doesnt that make him an adult? He acts nothing like an adult and neither does Patrick. Patrick is the most indolent person on the show. None of them are good role models. Squirrels? Living under the sea? I dont think so. Krabs living in an anchor? No. They don't. A crab having a whale daughter? None of this is realistic at all. Where they live, their personalities, where they work. Not real