Parent reviews for Stranger Things

Dark "strange invader" drama will appeal to sci-fi fans.

Adult Written bycrhj July 16, 2016

Rats! Typical "Original" Netflix fare.

My husband and I watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things. The Common Sense Media was correct about all the items listed to be prepared for if you are concerned about for example, language, except I noted they left out the fact that a number of characters said "Jesus" and none of them were praying- this is a sensitive issue for many folks and why it was ignored is curious to say the very least. The facts also ignore the abundant drinking and smoking done by teens and adults. So... typical "Original" Netflix fare, it would seem. These folks seem to cater to the seamy, gritty side of life but if that's what floats your boat... Just thought others should get the whole picture.

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byiatoolman July 18, 2016

Good tween sci-fi

It is really good, first of all. It isn't a cheesy 80's throwback film; it is more like an 80s noir, an homage. Great sci-fi/adventure story. The kids depicted are like 12/13 and 17/18. It is scary at times, but that is a matter of experience. Some ten-year olds wouldn't mind and it might terrify some adults. Ignore the reviewer about the blasphemy. Keep your Jesus out of my sci-fi. I can't believe the kissing scene in the bedroom wasn't mentioned. It would be pretty heavy for a 13 year old. No nudity, but tops off and heavy kissing. I know my eight-year old would be embarrassed. My opinion is learning to not trust the government is a good thing. There is no reason why I should trust them when it comes to unearthly creatures, even in the real world. Enjoy it with a mature tween.

Adult Written bymick f. August 9, 2016

Too Dark

Too dark and too tragic. Not what I'd consider family entertainment. As a Christian and a parent, I don't want this program in my home or in my mind. Definitely not a good influence on kids. Themes of demonic activity and communication, government experiments on children (whom they have kidnapped for the purpose of experimentation), child death, depression, drug use, teenagers drinking alcohol, teenage sex... the list goes on. And I've only watched three episodes. If this were on a major tv network, it would have a mature rating rather than 14+.

Parent Written byLawrence T. October 29, 2017

Inappropriate Things

I can't believe all the parents that think this show is appropriate for any Kidd under at least 14. I stupidly started watching this with my wife and 13 yo daughter because everyone said she was the right age for it. The show, in addition to being terrifying, had high school kids making out in the bathroom in the first 10 minutes and the town sheriff joking about "how bad someone's mother looked when he had finished having sex with her" ... Unbelievable! I was so annoyed with myself. Everyone seems to love this show, and it did seem entertaining for adults and older teens. I just can't believe how many parents let their tweens watch this kind of stuff.

Adult Written byTaylor F. September 6, 2016

Stranger Thing... strangely captivating.

I went into this series without any expectation of it being something I would appreciate. I am not a fan of "scary" films or monster shows. "Stranger Things" was surprised me. The acting is solid. The plot keeps you guessing. Every episode deepened my interest. In my opinion, the final episode is the one of the most powerful that I have seen of any show in a long time. I watched it twice. The show does have some rough edges and doesn't sugar coat its characters. The children characters use language fit for adults (but do not use the f-word). One female character loses her virginity and is seen removing her shirt. The violence in the film can be more mental than what is seen, save one scene in the 7th episode where El sees the body of a friend. What shines through these rough elements is the journey of the characters. The characters mature. They make sacrifices that are commendable. The "questionable" characters prove themselves in the end and the "good" characters reveal their flaws and weaknesses. Love is seen through the relationships. I feel like parents should do a watch through and be mindful of the maturity of their children. (I suggest watching beyond the 2nd episode where the female character loses her virginity as this element of the story is not a common event or theme in the series.) I feel like families would have much to talk about after watching the series. The spiritual parallels are numerous and I felt like Stranger Things provided me a powerful new image of Christ's victory over death. Worth a watch for those who are mature.

Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 16 year old Written byHayley K. August 2, 2016

Great eighties set science fiction show!

I binge watched this with my husband and three oldest children! It had some language, violence, and sex. But is very compelling and well written! Very similar to Polergist, Stand By Me, and Goonies!

Adult Written bykittenofdeath676 August 8, 2016

I think it's just awesome!!

I like it. There is some swearing. And the characters don't exactly keep there clothes on all the time. But other than that i have nothing negative to say about it.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byjsnowhite August 18, 2016

Know Thy Kid!

We're 2 episodes into this, watching with our film-savvy 15 year old, and after episode 2 (unfortunately watched RIGHT before bed) I (the 54 year old mom!) had seriously stressful dreams, followed by a screaming 15 year old showing up in our room at 4 a.m. It's well done and fun scare, but this is definitely the last time we'll watch before bed! As far as the sex scenes go, as I parent I appreciated that our daughter was yelling at the TV-- "BAD DECISION!! NEVER LEAVE YOUR BUDDY!". lol... it showed bad decision-making on the part of the "smart girl", (she also "shoots" a beer before the heavy making out) which opens LOTS of room for discussion.
Adult Written byJean L. October 28, 2017

Had to make a stand with my own child on this one.

I didn't even make it past the first 20 minutes. My 17-year old daughter wanted to try this show so while everyone else was in bed (thank goodness), I agreed to watch it with her. What bothered me the most was the bad language coming out of children's mouths. I can tolerate some swearing in movies when adults are the culprits because I know they know better and are choosing to say those lines, but any director/screen writer who thinks it's o.k. and encourages kids to use that kind of language obviously does not have any scruples and I don't trust what other messages will come from that kind of director/writer. I know one reviewer felt this show displayed some Christian messages but I don't think Christ would be able to stand the language or the befouling of our youth any more than I could. Unfortunately, my daughter didn't see things my way and she was pretty miffed with me for not wanting myself or her to continue watching it. Hopefully she'll eventually see my turning it off as a good example of even adults choosing what they watch carefully.

Parent Written byhools July 27, 2016

Appropriate for teens and up

We haven't completed watching this series yet, but are enjoying it as adults. After having watched 3 episodes, I think this show would be much too intense and disturbing for most tweens. Example: during the third episode, the show flashes back and forth between teens making out partially clothed in a bedroom and another character who at the same time is experiencing terror and violence.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byjuan c. September 10, 2016

Great show

Great episodes. Bravo! Bravo! I watched it with my eleven year old son and now we watch 2 episodes a week. Great show.

Parent of a 5, 10, 13, and 16 year old Written byAmelia R. August 2, 2017

Innapropriate For Kids

I let my 13-year-old watch this at a friend’s house, and that was NOT a great idea. I should have previewed it first! There is WAY too much violence, even for something 14A. I was appalled to see that this was rated ‘9+’ by one of the children. I don't know why you would let someone that young watch something like this. From alcohol to make-out to kidnapping to experiments on children, this has got to be one of the most messed up shows out there.

Adult Written byJoe B. September 25, 2016
Fantastic story and character development allows you to overlook some of the more adult language in places. There are a few sexual situations, but nothing graphic, and they are so hokey and with such bad hair, it's hard to take them seriously. This is one of the best shows to come out of Netflix. I can't wait for season 2.
Adult Written byBrooklynn R. Vi... September 1, 2016

Great Show For Teens!!

I really like this show. Sometimes their is alcohol,drugs,and swearing. If you can deal with that,I think you will very much enjoy Stranger Things. Although I am not quite 13 yet, I am mature enough to handle what I see on this show. So you should show this show to your kids or your friends!!!

Parent Written byMommaBirdLittleBird April 29, 2017

Great 80's throwback!

Great for tweens and up. My 11 year old (almost 12) is watching it with us and she can't believe the language from the kids and all the smoking. It really brought up a lot of questions from her. The smoking was the sign of the time. And we skipped all the teen sex and drinking. Actually, all the teen make out scenes can be completely skipped without missing a thing. I previewed the show so I knew where I could skip. ;) This really is such a great 80's throwback. Our daughter loves the story line and all the suspense. If you love Goonies and ET your family will enjoy this.

Parent of a 3, 11, and 13 year old Written byB H. November 7, 2016

A super good family show for teens!

No child nor adult should watch this by themselves. This is a family show for TEENS ONLY! The show is entirely about an evil laboratory housing a creature that has now escaped and is kidnapping and eating humans. Nothing is terribly graphic, but it's eerie and ominous. Characters are seen kidnapped by shadowy figures, leaving only pools of blood or bones or objects left behind. Once the characters access the realms of the monster, the grotesque bodies are seen white-eyed and gross. The monster is only actually seen until the last few episodes, but the ominous scenes of "it's coming" is scary for anyone. My husband, 13-year-old, and I clutched pillows to our chests, wide-eyed for the entire season. However, it wasn't really the scariness that made it iffy for my preteen. A character and her boyfriend have implied sex twice during the season. They are shown stripping down to bras and underwear and moaning slightly as they make out. After being seen in the morning, friends at school joke and make orgasmic sounds, mimicking the activity. Both characters had to lie to parents and/or sneak out to do so. Other than this, there are merely innocent kisses and slight make-out scenes. Several characters are bullied at school, but are stood up for by others. All of the basic swear words are used, including s--t, damn, bitch, bulls--t, crap, and douchebag, plus basic insults such as jerk, idiot, mouth-breather, negro, etc. The relationships between the four boys and Eleven is very sweet, loyal, and protective, like the one between Nancy and Jonathan. Some scenes of a mother desperate for her lost son is sad and slightly disturbing. Other sad scenes occur toward the end of the show. However, this is a great show for families with teens to watch. It was a little edgy for my 13-year-old, but if she were just 6 months older it would've been fine and just a little thrilling. Overall everyone enjoyed it and we can't wait to binge Season 2. (Besides, the opening title rocks and I bought its ringtone)

Adult Written byOpie J. July 29, 2016

Fantastic Show -- Difficult to Age Appropriately

I loved this show. The language is, at times, unnecessarily bad for young kids, but altogether it's a great show dripping with nostalgia. I think it's appropriate for 15 and up, maybe 14s. Really enjoyed it.

Adult Written byJim M. July 31, 2016

Great 80s retro feel

Very much enjoyed it. I'd say 14 and up is pretty accurate. There is just a couple gory scenes, a little blood, one scene with teens making out in a bra (and implied going further) and only a couple vulgarities. It is a thriller though, so may be a little intense or spooky for younger kids.

Adult Written byJ. Walt September 15, 2017

I am not the kind of mom that condones over parenting, helicopter parenting, or sheltering your kids. Nor am I the kind of parent that believes in careless parenting, in not monitoring, or being concerned about what her kids are exposed to. That said, this show is fantastic for those parents who like the middle approach. It concerns me that parents find the content of this show either diabolical or immoral. (Have they seen the media out there?) That said, Stranger Things is a Great creative, nostalgic, suspenseful little edgy series to watch with your teens so that when they are out in the world they won't fall over from a cardiac arrest after watching their first horror film. And honestly, its better you, the parent, explain the mature bits then having them sneak watch it over at a friends house without "mature" supervision. Besides, as Sci-Fi /Suspense goes, it's quite the amazing, fantastic adventure about a carnivorous alien from another dimension, a dedicated sherif, a mom that would give her life for her stolen son, and some brave kids willing to risk life and limb to recover their best friend from the clutches of death.

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byLily B. December 27, 2016

This is the best sci-fi show in Netflix! There is some language but is fine for middle schoolers. I would recommend it for middle schoolers but mostly 7th graders. It's a great 80s theme show with great role models. It is a MUST WATCH!