Parent reviews for Stranger Things

Dark "strange invader" drama will appeal to sci-fi fans.

Adult Written byCosmin K. February 18, 2018

Great show, but just some things to keep in mind… 13-14 up (depending on maturity)

The name of the TV show has popped up and been mentioned, quite frequently by my friends and other parents, in the past half year or so, so we (my 14y old and I) thought we'd give it a go. And I must say that its quite alluring and compelling with the plot and the different, relatable characters. Although the consumerism and sex is quite minimal, I'd have to disagree with the 12+ overall rating given by parents on this site as the graphics and swearing at times can be quite intense. As a mother of four, I would not want my 11 or 9yo to be exposed to the language and some of the more graphic scenes shown in this tv show. I am able to watch this show with my 14y old and they understand swearing at this age so the language used in this show isn't alarming or triggering in anyway, and in some scenes has even been amusing. However if you are uncomfortable with your teen listening or being exposed to these words, I suggest you watch over the episode before letting them watch it. Theres been a couple of reviews from parents mentioning and being slightly alarmed by the party and some of the 'sexier' scenes in this tv show. However in all honesty it's really quite minimal and I'd think that teens by the age of 13 or so would have probably been exposed to worse, and they know and understand by this age that parties and stuff do go on and they are well aware of that stuff. Pretty much all teen TV shows these days include these kinds of scenes, and I have seen a lot worse from other 'teen' shows. There are a lot of cigars consumed by the characters in this show, however this is because of the era it is plotted in (the 80's), so there's nothing to be worried about by this, so long as your kid understands the effects of consuming them and you are certain that they won't go on and do the same. The violence in the show was the one thing I was worried most about, as I don't want my kids to be witnessing any overly violent acts and to be influenced by them in anyway. And there are a couple of gory death scenes, however most of the time (especially cause my daughter hates blood and all sorts of gory stuff) they look and cringe away anyways, so i'd say that kids (over 14) can responsibly make their decision to look away if it gets a too much for them. Most kids by this age are old enough not to be under the influence of this violence and most of the violence in this tv show is unrealistic, being done so my unrealistic living creatures. There are some great kid actor/actresses in this TV show that have a good image, and I myself am a fan of some of them and think that they're great role models for my kids, unlike some young actors/actresses that sometimes portray unrealistic standards and images for young teens. Overall i'd be fine and would feel comfortable with my daughter watching this on her own.

Parent Written byLawrence T. October 29, 2017

Inappropriate Things

I can't believe all the parents that think this show is appropriate for any Kidd under at least 14. I stupidly started watching this with my wife and 13 yo daughter because everyone said she was the right age for it. The show, in addition to being terrifying, had high school kids making out in the bathroom in the first 10 minutes and the town sheriff joking about "how bad someone's
mother looked when he had finished having sex with her" ... Unbelievable! I was so annoyed with myself. Everyone seems to love this show, and it did seem entertaining for adults and older teens. I just can't believe how many parents let their tweens watch this kind of stuff.

Adult Written bykittenofdeath676 August 8, 2016

I think it's just awesome!!

I like it. There is some swearing. And the characters don't exactly keep there clothes on all the time. But other than that i have nothing negative to say about it.

Adult Written byHBrooklyn February 24, 2019

It really depends on the kid

There is some bad language and there certainly are some scary situations. But my son, who is 9 going on 10, thinks this is the best. I watched the entire two seasons before watching with my son so I knew what to expect and could discuss it with him. The themes of friendship and trust are strong.

Parent of a 13 and 16-year-old Written byBlossomXZS January 12, 2019

Great Show, Bad Reveiws

Some parents on here need to calm down about the swearing. I let my 11 year old 10 year old and 8 year old watch this and they were fine with the swearing as long as they knew not to repeat it. As for the show itself it has great acting and the chemistry between the characters feels real. Along with the monster government fighting there are typical-relatable teenage problems such as peer pressure (When Nancy leaves her friend at the party) and middle schoolers figuring out love. Overall one of my favorites I cannot wait for Season 3 which my family will watch together:)

Parent of a 4 and 8-year-old Written byiatoolman July 18, 2016

Good tween sci-fi

It is really good, first of all. It isn't a cheesy 80's throwback film; it is more like an 80s noir, an homage. Great sci-fi/adventure story. The kids depicted are like 12/13 and 17/18. It is scary at times, but that is a matter of experience. Some ten-year olds wouldn't mind and it might terrify some adults. Ignore the reviewer about the blasphemy. Keep your Jesus out of my sci-fi. I can't believe the kissing scene in the bedroom wasn't mentioned. It would be pretty heavy for a 13 year old. No nudity, but tops off and heavy kissing. I know my eight-year old would be embarrassed. My opinion is learning to not trust the government is a good thing. There is no reason why I should trust them when it comes to unearthly creatures, even in the real world. Enjoy it with a mature tween.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byjuan c. September 10, 2016

Great show

Great episodes. Bravo! Bravo! I watched it with my eleven year old son and now we watch 2 episodes a week. Great show.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byjsnowhite August 18, 2016

Know Thy Kid!

We're 2 episodes into this, watching with our film-savvy 15 year old, and after episode 2 (unfortunately watched RIGHT before bed) I (the 54 year old mom!) had seriously stressful dreams, followed by a screaming 15 year old showing up in our room at 4 a.m. It's well done and fun scare, but this is definitely the last time we'll watch before bed!
As far as the sex scenes go, as I parent I appreciated that our daughter was yelling at the TV-- "BAD DECISION!! NEVER LEAVE YOUR BUDDY!". lol... it showed bad decision-making on the part of the "smart girl", (she also "shoots" a beer before the heavy making out) which opens LOTS of room for discussion.
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byKelly F. July 14, 2019

A bit too much of everything I dont like to promote

I initially thought it was going to be okay for my 10 and 12 year old boys to watch and enjoy.My 12 year old likes it more than the 10 year old because he doesn't get scared after watching it. I think there is way too much swearing and inappropriate references to sex and nudity. The acting is good but the overall content for this age is just too inappropriate overall.

Parent Written byNic78 July 5, 2019

Not suitable for young kids

I'm shocked that so many people are recommending this for children. The sexual content alone puts it into a category for teenagers. It is a fantastic series and I look forward to my son being old enough to enjoy it with me, but to get the most out of it I'll wait until he is 13/14+.
For parents reading the reviews to check suitability for their own children, I recommend you watch it before allowing your child to view it. This is one of those shows where the content may be suitable in some families but in many others it would be far from appropriate.
Adult Written byTaylor F. September 6, 2016

Stranger Thing... strangely captivating.

I went into this series without any expectation of it being something I would appreciate. I am not a fan of "scary" films or monster shows.

"Stranger Things" was surprised me. The acting is solid. The plot keeps you guessing. Every episode deepened my interest. In my opinion, the final episode is the one of the most powerful that I have seen of any show in a long time. I watched it twice.

The show does have some rough edges and doesn't sugar coat its characters. The children characters use language fit for adults (but do not use the f-word). One female character loses her virginity and is seen removing her shirt. The violence in the film can be more mental than what is seen, save one scene in the 7th episode where El sees the body of a friend.

What shines through these rough elements is the journey of the characters. The characters mature. They make sacrifices that are commendable. The "questionable" characters prove themselves in the end and the "good" characters reveal their flaws and weaknesses. Love is seen through the relationships. I feel like parents should do a watch through and be mindful of the maturity of their children. (I suggest watching beyond the 2nd episode where the female character loses her virginity as this element of the story is not a common event or theme in the series.)

I feel like families would have much to talk about after watching the series. The spiritual parallels are numerous and I felt like Stranger Things provided me a powerful new image of Christ's victory over death. Worth a watch for those who are mature.

Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 16-year-old Written byHayley K. August 2, 2016

Great eighties set science fiction show!

I binge watched this with my husband and three oldest children! It had some language, violence, and sex. But is very compelling and well written! Very similar to Polergist, Stand By Me, and Goonies!

Adult Written bymomma_joan June 18, 2019

great show for my kids

as a mother of four, i am able to watch this show with my 8 year old (though there are some scenes i have to cover his eyes for), my 10 year old, who is ok with swearing, and my two 12 year olds. there is also mild drinking, but nothing too extreme. overall, a great show for the whole family, and all my kids can’t wait for season 3 to arrive!!
Adult Written byPilfro December 30, 2018

Not made for children

Ive let my kids be scared watching movies not deemed appropriate.. 8 year old favorite movie is jaws. But this show was made for adults and I think 16 is appropriate age.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byCheese and Bread October 31, 2017

Best show on Netflix!

Great show for teens and up!
Amazing plot!

Adult Written bychotabheemistheflash June 16, 2019

Definitely a kid appropriate show that is very fun filling!

Stranger Things is definitely a show that will take you into the depths of different universes. Similar to a classic Marvel movie, Stranger Things deals with other monsters such as Demogorgons from the Upside Down, a parallel universe. Not scary at all, Stranger Things takes its viewers through a thrilling and fun filled adventures through a mystical world hidden inside the normal town of Hawkins. A great tv show, I recommend it for 12 year olds through and through! The characters are great role models, and definitely show kids how to use perseverance, mental strength, and use logic do deal with everyday situations. It is a great message, and truly a great show!

Adult Written byMaeva P. May 31, 2018

The best show I have ever freakin seen

I watched this with my 8 year old sister once and 5 other times alone and with my friends. It is the best show on the web by far. Not anything a 7 year old can’t handle but it depends on their fear tolerance. The most PG thing is a kissing scene between Steve and Nancy- but nothing bad to be honest. Please watch it, you’ll thank me later. Some swearing but from Dustin so it’s funny.

Adult Written byrachel b. May 18, 2020

***IMPORTANT***

This is a perfect tv show because a 13-year-old can see it and think It's perfect but also an adult can see it and love it. Precautions: There not much sex stuff other than kisses and seeing couples in bed (not naked). Language: They use the word s**t a lot but other than that It's ok.
Adult Written bySean Wooldridge July 17, 2019

A Fantastic Show...For Adults

I can't believe that some people are suggesting that this series is appropriate for pre-teens. The language is similar to what you would see in an upper-PG, maybe mild PG-13 movie. But the violence is a solid R. The body count rivals any horror movie. There is a nearly constant barrage of disturbing imagery. There are graphic scenes of torture and barbaric executions. Almost every episode of season 3 depicts mutilated and melting corpses thanks to the Alien-style face sucker. Good luck getting your 9 year old to sleep after seeing that. There is domestic violence, violence against women, violence against children, violence against everybody. It goes on and on. When it comes to violence, if you have to ask, Stranger Things isn't for you. It is a very well written and well produced show. I have enjoyed it very much and I'm looking forward to the next season. But unless it takes them 10 years to finish season 4, my kids will not be watching.

Parent of a 11 and 12-year-old Written byLily B. December 27, 2016

This is the best sci-fi show in Netflix! There is some language but is fine for middle schoolers. I would recommend it for middle schoolers but mostly 7th graders. It's a great 80s theme show with great role models. It is a MUST WATCH!