Kid reviews for Switched at Birth

Family drama's responsible messages are good for teens.

Wondering if Switched at Birth is OK for your kids?

Kid, 11 years old July 12, 2011

Great Show!

I love this show! It has positive messages and when ever a character does something bad they are punished and they learn a lesson. In one episode, there was a lot of talk about sex because Bay (the girl with dark hair) came home at three am after making out with her boyfriend. It is also a great way to learn about deaf culture since some of the characters are deaf.

Kid, 12 years old May 22, 2016

Obsessed

This is an addictive show! I love it so much! This show features deaf people that are actually deaf or hard-of-hearing in real life!This show is very interesting and has family drama! This is a show that I think everyone should watch!

Teen, 14 years old Written byEMA2002 June 5, 2017

To all who want to watch this...

This show is for 14 and up. If you are 13, I would just ask your parents first before you watch this. I do not recommend this show to anyone younger then 13 and here's why: there are many adult topics in this show, none of which a 10 year old should be watching. Things like: drinking, cussing, and sex (mostly references). I'm not far enough into the show to see what happens to the characters, but based on other reviews, one of the characters does loose her virginity. These topics are very older, and maturer topics, that is why I don't think kids under 14 should be watching it. However, this show has very well written messages, and the main characters go through some pretty hard things that not every teenager goes through. Each of the characters learn very important life lessons and they learn from their mistakes. This show overall is very positive, and it makes you learn a lot as well (both in ASL and life choices)!! This show is very well written (doesn't move to fast or slow) and it has a lot of romance and drama. There is action, but not all the time. To conclude, this show is a really good show to watch (leaves you on the edge of your seat) and I would recommend it, but only to those who are old enough.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAlyaa_M July 29, 2016

Awesome

It's a great tv show that spreads a great message . When any character does something wrong and goes through a hard time the consequences are realistic and are not sugar coated, which I love about switched at birth. It's not a typical drama tv show but its awesome.

Teen, 14 years old Written byshriyxn April 19, 2016

Teen, 13 years old Written bydaizythacker March 23, 2013

cool

i love it

Teen, 13 years old Written byStoddert December 26, 2011

Great Show!

I love this show. There is so much to learn about the deaf community. It portrays deaf and hard of hearing people like real people. Switched at Birth begins it's winter season Tuesday January 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Kid, 11 years old August 19, 2011

The Best

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo luv this show i watch it every monday best show ever i love it so much. i cant wait for season 2. awesome shoe

Kid, 10 years old June 17, 2011

understand.

i love this show its so exciting and it tells a story nothing bad about it except bay does things like get a piercing and try to smoke but her mom stops her and it shows smoking is bad i highly love the show and i think ten year olds can see it if they understand.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMissE1000 June 15, 2011

Highly recomend this show

I really like this show. I never usually watch ABC family, but I liked this show. I think that my only concern would be the amount of drugs. None of the teens use drugs, but Bay had a fake ID and her biological mother is a recovering alcoholic. The way it is handled is very good, because of how Regina tells Bay she never wants her to end up like one and no matter what, she is an alcoholic, it was a mistake, and she can recover from it. On the positive side, Daphne is deaf, and it does open eyes as to what deaf people are really like. Good show .

Teen, 14 years old Written bymaddiem_1212 August 6, 2020

Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2020

Teen, 15 years old Written by15yroldhonest February 6, 2020

Teen, 13 years old Written byHdkdndbe September 23, 2019

AWSOME

Really good

Teen, 13 years old Written bycherry.bomb April 16, 2019

Good for mature teens

I really enjoy this show!

But, you should know that there is a scene in the beginning of the series where Bay and Ty are making out on the floor in his house.
There are some other times in the series where making out occurs.

But, the series has many deaf characters and it is a good message for kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymaddicarlson April 5, 2019

A Quality Show with a Very Good Message

I don’t know what all these parents are saying age 18+ for, this show is not as inappropriate as you all seem to think it is. I started watching it when I had just turned 13 with the permission of my parents. They are are relatively strict when it comes to movies and tv shows but they let me watch this show and I was completely fine with all of the content (there was nothing too mature that I didn’t understand or was uncomfortable with). There are references to teen sex and a teen character is in a relationship with a young adult (but he thinks she’s a college student and she is 16). However, there is no nudity (besides people shirtless; bras are always worn) graphic sex, swearing, violence (besides occasional punching and one episode involving a gun), or extreme drugs and alcohol. Yes, there are college students that drink on the show but there is always a good message that comes out of their experience, there are never scenes involving drugs or alcohol that are irrelevant and there just as a filler. The characters LEARN from their mistakes, and that’s something that all kids should know how to do. The reality is, teenagers drink and do drugs in the real world and through this show, teens can learn from inspiring characters how to deal with their mistakes. One character is an alcoholic, however she is sober and teens can learn a lot from her experiences as a single mom who struggled to make ends meet in the past. I love all of the deaf characters on the show and think that the ASL is very cool, and I really like the messages that the characters learn as they live their chaotic lives. This show is NOT super inappropriate like everyone is saying it is, it is fine for any teenager or mature 12 year old. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for positive role models or insight into real-world problems, plus it is a great way to learn ASL!

Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenReviews101 March 28, 2019

Should be rated pg-13

Okay, so I think that this show is completely fine to be watching. It should not be rated TV-14. It has no intimate scenes, and bad language is barely used. Plus they use less bad language than you would hear from your parents or walking in school. The idea of the show is completely fine and this would be a good family show to watch with your parents. I definitely recommend this show.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPandaa March 3, 2019

An ok show with interesting characters.

In the first episode of Switched at Birth, we learn Bay and Daphne, who is deaf, were switched at birth. Bay loves art and attends a private school with her older brother Today. Daphne lives in a lower income area and attends Carlton, a high-school for deaf students and I think hard-of-hearing students too. Throughout the series both girls make some pretty bad decisions and get involved in a lot of trouble. Bay and Daphne commit crimes, but nothing super severe. Bay and Daphne both drink when they’re underage, but there isn’t a lot drugs involved in the show. I believe Bay has sex while underage with her older, over 18 boyfriend. Sex is pretty present in the show, but there isn’t any really any sex scenes. There isn’t any violence or smoking, and I don’t think the characters swear very often. It’s an ok show, but could teach kids some pretty bad lessons.
Kid, 12 years old February 27, 2019

Not Appropriate for all

I love this show a lot, it shows diversity and love very well. The language is not too bad, but there is “jack-ass”, “sh*t”, “b*!$h” at least once every five episodes. There is illegal stuff shown, and young kids won’t know what they are looking at. There is a lot of romance and sex, plus the main characters can’t go a day without a boyfriend/girlfriend because they are constantly in a relationship. To fully enjoy and understand the show, I recommend 13+.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPug81206 February 4, 2019

Good

I am on the 4th episode and like it already but the choices Bay is making are weird and she total thinks her "Mom" she grew up with now found out Bay is not her real daughter and starts paying more attention to her real daughter.