All parent member reviews for The Big Bang Theory

Parent of a 4 year old Written byMr. K4077 December 11, 2010

Do you EVER update your reviews?

This is a terrific show. Do you people ever update your reviews? You say things like "Penny occasionally appears in a towel." So that happened once -- in the PILOT! Are you saying that once out of 75 episodes is really "occasionally"? Also, you talk about Penny's "dumb blonde" character. That's true of the pilot, yes, but if you'd just WATCH THE SHOW(!) you'd see that she's grown into the smartest of the five main characters (not book smarts, but practical real-world smarts). She is NOT A DUMB BLOND!! And what character has ever smoked a cigarette? Seriously... do you even watch these shows or do you just watch the pilot, make a snap judgement and be done with it. I think this show is a great way to get young people to think about careers in science. Do you mention in review that all the science is accurate and checked by a PhD from UCLA? No. Do you mention that the creators were inducted into the main Canadian science society? Or that the show was the only sitcom ever reviewed in "Science"? (By the way, they loved it.) I think you just decided to hate this thing and you did.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byMom of Young teens March 1, 2012

Really...do people sincerely watch this as a family?

I can't believe families would choose to rally around the tv to watch this together. After finding out nearly all of my 12 year old's classmates watch this, I gave it a shot (without the kids around). Talk about the degredation of our culture. While some thing may be funny to adults, the thought of parents sitting around with their tweens or young teens to see the show I did is bewildering. The show centered on the four main characters going out to Ladies night at a bar and how to get lucky. Many inappropriate comments were included. Find something else to watch as a family, like Wipeout - that will crack you up laughing.
Parent Written byMandersSoares April 26, 2012

From one who's conservative.

I have no kids of my own yet, but I am an aunt, and I would not wanting my nephew and nieces watching this. There are things they talk about and refer to that I would not even want 11-13 year old kids hearing (I have been told that I'm conservative) but that's just what I believe.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byMOM WHO CARES January 4, 2010

16 AND OLDER

Not appropriate for kids under 16. Way too much sexual references!
Parent Written byFoxxydaddy October 10, 2011

Why this show is great for children

This show shows the facts of life. That you must all quit controling your children and filtering the information they recieve throughout life. Because if you do filter the things they see they will grow up just like the characters on this show and overall will be at a social disadvantage. This show is AMAZINGLY funny and you can even learn a few life lessons from it too if you look deep down into the plot of the show.
Adult Written bystopthinkact January 6, 2012

Use your best judgement, as always.

I am not yet a parent but soon to be. My husband and I watch the show, and we think it is funny, but we would most likely not let our kids watch it at a preteen age. The sexuality of the show is pretty heavy comparatively and the jokes are too adult for them to understand. The other reviews from teenage kids do not give the full review because they probably don't have an accurate understanding about the dynamics of sexual relationships, which this show does not seem to grasp either. Penny drinks a lot (in the later seasons) and wears clothing that I will not let my girls wear. Most of the guys talk frequently about sex, and there are quite a few inuendos for homosexual behavior and joking about it as well. Like I said, funny for us because we know better and laugh at the appropriate things, but I would use caution with children/preteens; at least talk to them about what actually happens in the real world, what is acceptable, and what is not.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byNumar September 3, 2010

It is a show that is made for a geeks

Adult Written bychow13 April 24, 2011

The Big Bang Theory is an awesome show.ON Ages 12+
Parent Written byAutymnrosa February 23, 2012

Funny, but not kid friendly...

I think it is hilarious. There isn't a stereotype they don't make fun of, they include all, so there is no reason to get offended. Definitely not for kids, however.
Adult Written byP. Aravinda February 13, 2012

What to do if your kids like this show?

My daughter (8) watches this though I believe she is too young for parts of it. Hence I rated "pause" (I personally would rather pause for 5 years ... ). She likes the science parts and the character of Sheldon (relates to his sense of humour, for example when he waxed eloquently on why 73 was the best number, she got it and said, "it is amazing"). So my husband pre-screens every episode so we can fwd inappropriate parts. Unfortunately she is not much into kids TV shows (are there any other than cartoons? I don't even know) and has found this show and wants to watch it so this is how we handle it. I find it funny about 3/4 of the time and some episodes are particularly good (and some are boring).
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJimmyH December 16, 2009

Probably okay for older teens but not for tweens.

The show is very funny and entertaining. The humor and entertainment value would not be lowered if the show toned it down on sexual relations and inappropriate language.
Adult Written byyuri13 July 5, 2014

The Big Bang Theory

This series has no sex scenes, but sometimes it is implicit, including moans. A scene may indicate masturbation is not explicit, but it is clearly visible to the adults. Has a gay kiss scene, but it's just for laughs. Scenes of people drinking are very common. Words hell and damn are frequents.Bitch and Bastard are occasionally used. If it were a movie, it would probably censorship: Rated PG-13: For language, sexual references and drinking.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMovielover02 January 28, 2014

Common Sense really overates

Some s-xual content but not that bad compared to the review. My kids love this show.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 6, 2013

BAZINGA!

I like this, It is entertaining and I am a fan of 2 and a half men, so I think this suits me, the theme song is very educational (haha) and it just amuses me, It doesn't bore me and there is always twists! My 10 and 14 year old watch this, they are mature and seem to like it, My 14 year old is mature and that's the only thing he watches (besides Ridiculousness, South Park, Sonic) Whenever my 10 year old is around, I think it's not appropriate for her and she might say "What the heck", so I try to change it to Disney Channel (i thought she likes A.N.T Farm!), but then my 10 year old rolls her eyes, leaves the room and goes to my room to watch The Big Bang Theory. My 8 year old barely understands anything, but there is kissing and mentions of sex, so Not appropriate under 10. I spill laughs sometimes and it's a good show to pass time. I also adore the personalities of the characters, really thought out, glad it's not ending!
Parent Written bymegastaraxe September 7, 2012

non-stop laughing but may be inaproporeite for some young viewers

the big bang theroy is a great tv comedy but may be inapropriate for some viewers if there is any violence it is used in a funny way there are sexual refrences and jokes thrown around throught the series and the profanity isn`t that bad a-s d--m b-----d b---h and other profanitys the main characters are sometimes getting drunk and in 1 episode they unknowingly ate hash browines howrad talks about sex and hookers alot and is always trys to flirt with penny so if your ok with the profanity sex jokes and refrences and drugs this will be a funny show for you and your son (if you have one)
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Good for your kids

This is a great show funny for the whole family
Adult Written bymarclare January 25, 2012

BEST SHOW EVAH!!!!!!!!

Ummmm I'm sorry, but how can you NOT love this show? I love it, and I showed my dad. (I share this account with my mom, I'm 12) HE LOVED IT!!!! He is just as hooked on it as I am, and I'm not surprised! It's super funny. My bro watches it, and he's only 7. He doesn't get the jokes, but he loves the superhero/video game refferences. SO funny guys. ~~~~Bazinga!
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bycdrules October 1, 2011

cute

we have watched this as a family a few times and we all love it and just laugh and laugh together when we watch this show it is just so great
Parent of a 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, and 13 year old Written bymisskristin August 20, 2010

big bang theory rocks

I love this show! It is intelligent and original, not just resting on the stereotypical "geek" ideal but developing four diverse and individual geniuses. Support characters are also well developed and interesting and though there is sexual inuendo humor, it is usually over the heads of my kids.
Adult Written byUzzyB April 9, 2008

Geeks Revenge

This is a simple show about two college nerds living across the hall from a stereotypical single blonde lady. The jokes are relatively straight forward and based on many of the stereotypes associated with the geeknerd and blonde crowds, but it manages to cross the lines for Leonard.