Kid reviews for The Big Bang Theory

Geeky sitcom plays with stereotypes and innuendo.

Wondering if The Big Bang Theory is OK for your kids?

Teen, 16 years old Written byPhoenixfire12003 June 23, 2014

Great show, for mature 11-year olds and up.

This show is hilarious. However, there is heavy sexual stuff I must discuss. Around season 3, Penny and Leonard are often seen in bed together, (the sheets cover any inappropriate parts.) and they often discuss their sex with their friends and each other. In one episode, Howard builds a giant hand, and uses it to sexually pleasure himself. However, it gets stuck, so he has to call his friends to take him to the emergency room. (His excuse is he tripped and fell on it.) Sheldon often refers to sex as "coitus" which may go over kid's heads. In one episode, the men have a contest where whoever holds on to the "one ring" the longest gets to keep it. Penny walks past Leonard while the men are all still holding on to the ring; and she taunts Leonard by waving a pink-striped bag; and tells him it was from Victorias Secret. He stares at her, and gives up by letting go of the ring; and walks into penny's room. In one episode, Raj and Leonard hire a prostitute to be Howard's girlfriend. Once you move past the sex stuff, it's a great show. Sheldon is a great role model; he shows his brains often. Also, I think he never has sex in the show (I haven't watched every episode.) very minimal language; "crap" "d-mn" characters sometimes get drunk. Overall, a great, funny show for 11+.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycoolkid1234abc June 10, 2020

funny but for older children

A funny sitcom that has quite a bit of sex jokes and innuendo. Characters are frequently having sexual relations and often talk about concepts that most kids will not understand.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOliverDeBrisbane09 October 17, 2020

Funny, sometimes rude, but seriously 14 is exaggerated

To watch by themself, 10+. It’s rated M in Australia, equivalent to TV-14 in the U.S. The M rating means ‘recommended for mature audiences, but not restricted’. Who’s parents don’t drink alcohol (unless their strict Muslims or on a diet)? Honestly! The swear words included are ‘bastard’, ‘bitch’, ‘goddamn’ and one use of ‘whore’. I certainly recommend parents with children under 10 should watch one of the episodes that is a little more intense. I forget the name of the episode, but they’re in a bar and there’s talk of ‘hookers’ (prostitutes) and gambling (which is relatively mild, but isn’t the main reason it’s more intense). In the show there is infrequent to moderate sex talk, such as talk of sexual innuendo (but is comedic), sex toys, masturbation and ‘sex life’. But let’s face it, 80% of kids know what sex is by ten, as they start going through puberty. So it really ain’t that bad. An alternative for younger children could be Young Sheldon, which is rated PG in Australia and TV-PG in the U.S. There are some positive outcomes, like some life lessons portrayed in a comedic way. Hope this helps.

Kid, 10 years old November 24, 2008

Awesome show!

I'm a VERY mature 5th grade girl (as my mum says) so i watch alot of TV shows like this.(Family guy,scrubs,etc.)Let me tell you i ALWAYS laugh my head off when i watch this, I have to admit kids under the age of ten or immature ten-twelve year olds should NOT watch this show.Rock paper scissors lizard spock! lolz
Teen, 16 years old Written byiiFlamingoxo March 27, 2020

Amazing!

Big bang theory is an amazing show. I think the rating of 15 is a little overrated. If you have a mature tween who's about 11-12 I think it'll be okay for them, and 13+ definetely. Sure, there's a few references to sex, but come on, does any sitcom not?! I think it's a great show, but for kids 11+ up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byYeetboi21 November 27, 2020

Great Show but come on Common Sense

Good Show and don't let common sense discourage you the common sense reviews are very helpful to get a gage at the type of show but the consumerism category is insane they use computers often but they don't highlight any brands.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAynonomous123 November 20, 2020

OK for Mature Teens

Look, I think this is OK for mature teen. As a christian I find that there is a bit of sexual content in this and parents should gauge their child on a case by case basis. I am 13 but I have the maturity of at least a 14 year old (according to my parents). There is a bit of sexual humor but there are no sex scenes. Its a great show with great characters and actors. I also loved how they included characters from different religions, there was a christian, hindu,and a jewish person.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJuliSaysHi November 4, 2020

Love it!

It's about two scientists, Sheldon and Leonard, whose lives get changed when an aspiring actress named Penny moves across the hall, and Leonard immediately falls for her. The show is really really funny, and I love Penny and Sheldon's friendship. And I always imagine that these people are actually family. Penny and Leonard are the divorced parents of little Sheldon, and they can't help but fall in love with each other again and again and in the end they remarry. Raj and Howard are Leonard's little brothers who have trouble finding love. There are some inappropriate jokes and some sexy things that wouldn't be suitable for younger kids.

Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2020

TV-14 REallY?!

THE BIG BANG THEORY IS A GREAT SHOW! It has SLIGHT language sometimes but, nothing TOO bad... I think it is a great family show. It is very funny and anybody can watch it. Its good to be PG. TV-14 is a little too much.. There is a little sex stuff but, nothing mutch-

Teen, 13 years old Written byEnter username October 6, 2020

IT'S AMAZING

It's the best show I have watched in years and recommend it to everyone.
Kid, 11 years old September 21, 2020

spongebob

let your newborns watch it I guess

Teen, 13 years old Written byyouraverageteen... September 6, 2020

Great Show for Witty Teens and Adults!

I just started watching this show about a month ago. i’m already 8 seasons in (im in the covid-19 pandemic i have an excuse) and i am hooked. i saw a few episodes of this show as a young child and every inappropriate joke when straight over my head which is good if you’re looking to watch with young children nearby. now that i’m old enough to understand it, i find it to be one of the funniest shows on television! i’m really sad it ended, but it has some positive role models (most of the time) and some educational value to it!

Teen, 13 years old Written bysofieinspace August 22, 2020

Good show

This show is hilarious and I love it. It is really funny and is one of those rare shows that you enjoy and actually learn some academic stuff. There are some parts that are inappropriate, though, but not too bad. Some of these reviews make the show seem terrible and some of them are NOT TRUE. Penny is in a towel twice: in the pilot, and the adhesive duck deficiency. also there is no smoking in this, except for I think the unaired pilot. Overall, AMAZING SHOW!!!

Kid, 10 years old August 18, 2020

Big Bang theory review

Big Bang theory is hilarious! I think you need to be mature to watch this show, as it can swear and and other things. If I could rate this a something out of ten it would be 11/10

Kid, 10 years old August 11, 2020

It's okay for 8 year olds

"Normal People" would say it's okay for anyone. And it's true, if you're okay with Penny calling her boyfriend a "rat bastard" then go watch it.

Teen, 14 years old Written by123RosieKate321 August 8, 2020

Awesome Show, not for younger kids

I really enjoy this show, but it does get a little boring after a while.

There is quite a lot of sex, and frequent scenes of characters in bed together in underwear/ making out. There is also a few racist jokes, and jokes mocking Christianity.

Overall quite enjoyable. I would recommend to a more mature audience.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLellie.lellie July 28, 2020
People mention it being super inappropriate but I’ve literally watched it front to back and it’s totally fine for some one 9 and up.It occasionally reveals Penny and Leonard in bed together but don’t judge by that

Teen, 15 years old Written bythisiscinematic July 23, 2020
Teen, 14 years old Written bycreativename69 July 18, 2020

First few seasons are iconic...

...the last ones are more of a meh

It‘s one of the shows families can watch together and even though it contains some sex I‘d say it’s suitable for 12+

Teen, 13 years old Written byDanTheMan237 July 4, 2020

My Favourite Sitcom Of All Time!

I'm 13 and have seen every single episode of this show and I enjoyed every moment of it! I won't give a full review of how good it is because that would take WAAAAAY too long as there is so much to say about it. So I will just give a parent's guide to this show and share my opinion.
Language: There is not much swearing in the show and it is mainly mild. Here is a list of words i remember hearing: cr*p, d*mn, h*ll, (son of a) b*tch, b****rd, wh*re and sl*t. I think that's it but if anything else is said I apologise.
Sex: The show has a fair amount of sexual innuendo but doesn't show anything graphic. There are quite a few scenes where couples are seen in bed together after sex but are under blankets so nothing can be seen. The character Howard can be a pervert in the first 4 or so seasons (talks about sex, breasts, strippers, prostitutes and stuff like that pretty much every much episode, not particularly graphic, but still perverted) but improves a lot afterwards (still makes the occasional suggestive comment but it is dialled down a lot). In one episode in Season 3, it is heavily implied that a visitor here to see Sheldon sleeps with both Leonard and Raj (This character doesn't appear again afterwards). Won't go over everything because it would take a while but generally OK for 11 and up.
Violence: Virtually none. The only few times I can think of are in Season 1 where it is implied that Sheldon's sister kicks him in the private parts (is seen emerging from his room cupping his crotch with a hunched back), in Season 3 when Penny punches Sheldon in the face when he tries to steal a piece of movie memorabilia for her and Leonard's bedroom during their sleep (he is later seen with a bruised nose), and in Season 6 when Amy accidentally hits Penny in the face with her handbag (she is also later seen with a bruised nose). As you can tell, there is nothing bad violence wise.
I think this show is great for mature 11 year olds and up. Hope I helped