Parent reviews for The Boys

Edgy comedy-drama subverts the idea of superheroes.

Adult Written byJohn019 September 3, 2019

Disappointing

The characters have very unique personalities especially Billy Butcher but I only got 35 minutes into the first episode and I couldn't deal with all the nudity. (Would not recommend) very disappointing thought it had potential.

Adult Written byfirstreview22 August 17, 2019

Not for kids

Within the first 10 minutes a young woman, possibly a teen, confesses a crush to a superhero–who responds by exposing himself... enough said
Adult Written bytika25 March 16, 2020

Sad

This TV series is so disappointing. Really bad acting coupled with raunchy sex scenes and then they throw in God. Why? This show is an insult to America.

Adult Written byJennsweds November 7, 2020

Vi-o-lent

Maybe dismemberment and complete annihilation of a loved one's body in an intimate moment doesn't bother everyone like it bothers me, but I regret experiencing that scene.

Adult Written byJ Purple Flowers February 16, 2020

Great premise but can definitely be grotesque/super vulgar

I was scrolling through my fire stick looking for something to watch and I saw this so I clicked on and watched thinking it was just some adult superhero movie but it wasn't I regret doing so anyone in the comment/review section saying this was good /alright clearly lack any sense of morality/ integrity throughout the whole show there's been nothing but extreme violence graphic sex and cursing there's many scene's where both men and women are fully naked and the men shows genitals in the first episode one of the so called male superheros shows himself to a unexpecting female superhero colleague and in another there is a superhero club where there is scenes of people giving sexual favors to one another men and women and men on men there's even a scene where a superhero that can float has vigorous relations with i think two ladys in front of everyone in the club in the air also later in the series there's a scene where a ex female superhero makes someone perform a sexual favor and she ends up crushing his skull open blood and brain matter and all this scene is on my list of most nasty/horrible things I've seen also for most of the show it's pretty pro nihilism/anti religion/anti conservative/anti Christan/anti hypocrisy which being anti hypocrisy is good but the characters preaching are hypocritical themselves one episode or two the supers go to a Christan concert place so that they can be seen as good people by the public/conservatives and the main female superhero goes on stage and rants about how no one doesn't even know if a God exist and that the Bible was just some book made centuries ago and that we should just fallow are own way also one of the main characters Billy butcher who is just a regular human with no powers but who is shown to be a nihilistic douchebag throughout the series is shown being at said concert and then starts mocking and cursing at God calling him things right in front of a Christan vendor person who just offered him something . The show has a good premise/idea but it was drowned out by all the sex Gore violence cursing and nihilism and this is coming from someone who used to watch Texas chainsaw massacre and hell hellraiser definitely wouldn't recommend anyone of any age to watch this it's very disappointing because it had so so much potential to be good but the maker of said show is known for making extremely controversial comics that depict anything and everything.

Adult Written byMikeroe73 August 13, 2019

Great premise, well done, definitely not for kids!

I am a super hero fan (a bit tired of Marvel right now) and this is a really good show. Great plot and characters, high production value and explores the concept of hero worship in a meaningful way. This show is based on fiction but looks deeper at how we perceive our "heroes" (movie stars, pro athletes, rock stars, etc.). Hollywood is well known for it's depravity and the "hero world" presented in The Boys serves as an excellent mirror image.

The Boys questions issues we struggle with in our world:

- How does the media alter/shape the messages we hear about our heroes?
- Are we ignorant to the questionable behavior of the elite?
- Do we fully understand the actions and motivations of the real life "bad guys?

These are all questions we should ask ourselves. That said, good show and I'm looking forward to Season 2.

It is very violent, can be disturbing, deal with mature themes and is meant for 18+ in my opinion.

Adult Written byUsername101 August 19, 2019

Not much of a comedy but still really good.

This show is not much of a comedy, it's more like and extremely dark, disturbing, thought provoking, drama about how it would really be like if superheros existed. The violence is extremely graphic and some scenes are more like a horror movie than a superhero show. There is also very frequent and very strong language, around a few hundred f words and over 20 c words in the first season, graphic sex scenes and full frontal nudity, drug use. Some scenes in this show are extremely off putting and hard to watch. DO NOT watch this with kids.

Adult Written byrummanz August 23, 2020

Adult Written byFatcat29 August 11, 2019

I'm a grown man and I loved it

Okay so let's start with saying THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS okay now as a 29 year old man I loved this entire show some of it was extremely cringe worthy but even then I liked it there's nudity rape sex graphic violence and extremely strong language however the show is one of the best I've seen in awhile I highly recommend it

Adult Written bynmcmahon June 10, 2021

really love this show, watch it as a family.

it has some gore and the show uses "cusses" but overall its a very interesting show about superheroes and injustice. I feel like 18+ is a little to high for any show. But mother knows best. <3

Adult Written byHydroPlaysXband... October 8, 2020

Dark, immature and mature at the same time.

The Boys is one of the best television shows I have ever seen. I do like superhero movies but I’ve always felt like there’s something missing. This was what it was missing. The diversion of the genre is genius and has a ridiculous amount of production value. It’s rare to find a show that is this balanced, albeit perfectly balanced, on every level.

I am splitting this I’m up into the respective seasons.

Season 1:

Filled with mature content. Of every offense.
Violence happens at least once an episode. I’m pretty sure episode 6 is the only one without a particularly graphic death. Even in that episode bones are graphically broken, people are beaten and intensity is high. In all the other episodes though...
It includes:
Superhero violence. Lasers, strong punching, etc. However, it’s extra gory here. People are blown and split into pieces in every fashion. Blood and gore are thrown around in every death and it is very graphic. Bones and organs are visible and are on full display. Peoples eyes are burned out and their brain is visible center frame. People are split into two, four, and fifty bazillion pieces. Eyes are ripped out. Heads are torn into pieces. Meter combat results in holes in human torsos. People are hit and bones are exposed.The list goes on and on. It is quite over the top, but it will turn the stomachs of several viewers.
Some deaths are more graphic than just mentioned, some by far, it just know it is one of the goriest shows on television.
Threat is a constant theme. Collateral damage is a theme. Sexual assault is a theme. All genders are harmed here. Graphically. It’s all here.
Overall, violence is comparable to a slightly gorier version of Tarantino. Yeah, that’s possible.

Sexuality: Like violence, it’s shown here. Sexual scenes are prevelent, and include nudity. Female nudity is shown. Male genitals are shown. Presumably, some of the sexuality is bent. Sexual assault is on display and is a main theme. There is something about every episode.
Also sexually fueled talk is constant and includes every swear and level of graphicness on the face of this planet for a sex joke. Doesn’t shy away from anything. Almost everything offensive is said here.
Also, as a note, if homosexuality offends you, it is on display here as well among various characters.

Language: F**k is the most prevelent and is used several hundred times. Some paired with mother. C**t is used probably upward of 10 times an episode. C**k is used once of twice throughout the season. Everything is said here.

Consumption: Alcohol is consumed casually occasionally. Hard drugs are consumed. Product placement and pop culture jokes are used constantly.

Extra: Role models are iffy. Everyone has their own antagonist and conflicts. Just not a good shoe if you want an overly positive message.

If it was a film it actually probably would be rated NC-17 most likely for: Strong bloody violence and sexual content, grisly images, graphic nudity, drug use, and pervasive language.

As an episode guide, Gory violence happens at least once or twice an episode, a scene of sexual content occasionally throughout the episode, language is constant and strong and consumption is occasional, not helped at all by any good messages or role models.

Season 2:

Violence: Graphic violence multiple times an episode including: Superhero violence, criminal violence, implied violence, and threatened violence and even more. All shown violence is intensely gory and bloody, but as like the last season, is exaggerated and comical. People are split into bazillions if pieces, in half, limbs, heads, legs, organs, and more are ripped, torn, dismembered, removed, whatever you want to call it. There are some particularly gory deaths like someone’s head being ripped in half top to bottom. Guns are used, superhero weaponry is used, yes there are lasers. Threatened and implied violence are here. Sexual violence and torture are among the violent themes here. It’s constant, but the actual violence your expecting that is particularly gory only happens up to a few times an episode.

Language: F**k is used, again, hundreds of times throughout the about 8 hour season. I didn’t count, but it’s definitely up there. C**t, again, is used multiple times an episode. C**k and p***y are used once, and everything else is used throughout.

Sex: Not quite as graphic as season 1. Occasional sex happens occasionally, but nudity is limited to episode 3. Oh and there’s a really out of the blue self pleasure scene at the end of episode 8, like one of the, if not the last, scene. Not graphic just awkward. For me anyway. Graphic sexual talk is common, using strong language and graphic terms. The themes are more implied than shown, but it carries the theme from season 1. Rape is a heavy theme. Homosexuality is both implied and shown.

Consumption: Drugs are the most common theme, no spoilers for this season but last season compound V is introduced, which is a drug, and is practically the plot of the show. It’s not a narcotic however. Other than that hard drugs are snorted, smoked and injected. One of the characters is pretty much a drugs addict. Drinking is occasional too.

Extra: Again, role models are not a thing here. It can also get very upsetting at times to some viewers.

It would most likely be rated: R- Graphic violence and bloody images, sexual content, some graphic nudity and drug use and pervasive language.

OVERALL ——

Hilarious but dark and disturbing, it’s riveting and a perfect diversion of the genre, even if it’s a diversion only aimed for older teens.

This is all the stronger content but I did gloss over some spoilers or was very vague, this is more of just on average or minor description of the content throughout the series. So if your OK with this the series should be fine. If you are on your toes you should be able to skip nearly all of the sexual content, but violence and language are unskippable, especially since the show is practically about violence. I’d recommend doing a deeper dive to decide if it’s ok for your kids, but I’d advise to watch it with them and even then don’t shown it to anyone under the age of 14-16.

Adult Written bymonis_shaikh September 21, 2020

Incredible

The Boys is a very well made web series which has a good concept of superheroes. How the superheroes are used for the sake of marketing and business. The story is about how humans are tracking down superheroes, it has romance, brother-sister relation, revenge, action and much more.

Adult Written byFaustcobra September 4, 2020

Best Superhero show I’ve ever seen

I rated it for 15 plus because the average kid has sex at that age so it’s not new to them and my son watches Deadpool.. this is not maybe as violent but close.. it does have rape but the acting is amazing and shows a more realistic look at heroes that are not really heroic in an age of social media where all good deeds can be reported in seconds to the world. The heroes are more like the villains. They are willing to kill just to keep their fame. You am surprised DC didn’t sue because they have characters exactly like Superman and Wonderwoman. I think it had the right mix of sex and swearing because that’s what real life is.
Adult Written byPeter C. July 6, 2020
Parent Written byAaron C. April 8, 2020

An Intriguing & Violent Evil-Superheroes show.

The Boys is a very unique show as it shows the evil side of superheroes. The show is filled with bloody violence, some sex & strong language. But it's definitely worth the watch.

Adult Written byScary Lillian October 8, 2019

The boys anti heros

Exactly what corporate America would do. Create superheroes for their own profits. It is an unique premise, although too gory sometimes, it is really food for thought. As long as "The Boys" stay true to their premise I will continue to watch.

Adult Written bythanoswasright94 August 20, 2019

Excellent take on the superhero genre for older teens and above!

This show has pretty graphic violence and language, as well as some sexual content, but nothing a mature teen can’t handle.

Adult Written byFatalCulture August 8, 2019

Not what I thought

It’s a good show and love the premise, I’ve seen two episodes and I like it so far. I was worried about the nude/sex scenes and them being pointless and objectifying as they usually are but surprisingly it was well done and very equal between genders since it contains male nudity too. So far its not that bad, there isn’t much of it either. There is more gorey violence than nudity. There are also good messages in there, which aren’t forced. Worth a watch.

Adult Written bymrbutler52 August 5, 2019

Great but very Mature

This is a great Adult series that flips the current Super Hero craze on its head. The Super Heroes in this series are not the goody goodies that we know and love. The Super Heroes in the Boys are motivated by fame and power. Most of them are owned by a huge corporation that promotes them and even has a hand in their crime busting.

The real heroes or should I say antiheroes are a group of people who have been hurt by the "Supes." For instance, Hughie is recruited into the Boys after his girlfriend is killed by A-Train, one of the major Super Heroes.

This series is about Super Heroes but it is not for kids. There is graphic violence, rape, and many other adult themes.