All parent member reviews for The Electric Company

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymoosejulie September 27, 2009
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 December 8, 2014

Good show, could be better, but, at-least it's educational.

This is a good show, because, they teach kids everything about literacy, but, I just wish it didn't have so much hip hop, because, i'm not a fan of hip hop music, but, at-least it's kid-friendly hip hop, unlike most hip hop songs that just sings about sensitive topics. If I were writing this review three or four years ago, it would of got 5 stars. Even if your child is 17 or 18 years old and they're a hip hop fan, let them watch this show, because, it's kid-friendly hip hop, if they're gonna listen to hip hop music, at-least let it be kid-friendly.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 23, 2014

Too bad the show got cancelled. It is and will be missed.

While this show doesn't match up to the 1970s version, it's still very good. (And, of course, it would've been an outlandishly tall order to get this version to even come close to the original.) And it still educates and entertains. In addition to teaching phonics (which THE ELECTRIC COMPANY also did in the 1970s), the current show also introduces 5 new vocabulary words per episode. Moreover, this show also teaches some basic math concepts, such as the use of graphs. Exposure to this show will give kids a head start in school. The plots are exciting and suspenseful as well, guaranteed to keep kids interested. The only drawback is that some of the animated segments are hideous. In the fall of 2013 new episodes were going to be produced. The only reason why it didn't happen was because the Corporation for Public Broadcasting didn't give Children's Television Workshop (CTW) the funding it promised them. So, unfortunately, the show ultimately ended up being cancelled. Let's write letters and/or emails to CTW and PBS and ask them to bring the show back.
Adult Written byDiEx-80 August 10, 2012

A great modern reboot of a great educational show

Being as old as I am, I never thought I'd appreciate a blast from the past that, even though redone for modern times, would be just as good as the original. This show really is good for all ages and can teach young kids how to read and speak. Although I am baffled about why exactly this show does the typical good guys (The Electric Company) vs. bad guys (The Tricksters). It does have a few episodes where both sides work together. Also it shows outtakes at the end showing kids that not only is the show a show but the actors are having fun together.
Parent Written bykkin April 7, 2011

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrs. Padilla March 30, 2011

Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byMaKoski December 30, 2010

My husband and I watch it even if the kids are napping.

Very catchy songs. The baby likes to dance to the music.
Parent Written bymwscdrummer May 7, 2010

Great for my son!

My five year old son is really loves this show! He's really into reading. The way this show teaches phonics really appeals to him and has helped him become a better reader.
Parent Written byCooldee April 23, 2010

Come and watch!

I watched The Electric Company when I was a kid, and I still love it! It teaches letters, patientence, and being a good person.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bySazz Menazz April 9, 2010

Great for everyone

Educational, great cultural diversity, appealing characters, and best of all FUNNY! Even for parents. I have fond memories of the 70's version (Love of Chair! What about Naomi) and this updated version is almost as good. My daughter has learned a lot about reading, letters, and especially Silent E.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhousmore March 29, 2010
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byH2Clark January 21, 2010

Great, great show!

We (7&5 yo) love this show don't miss an episode to watch together. If my family had the choice between Electric Company or iCarly. Electric Company would win. I like the phrases I learn to help with homework; such as "Silent E is a Ninja." My boys like the people based story lines and appreciate a show that I'll watch with them.
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byLaBellaFifi January 21, 2010

Awesome for Homeschoolers

Helps reinforce what I teach them everyday re: phonics, Lang. Arts, etc. Great show for kids.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bychollis November 28, 2009

Excellent!

Loved it in the 70's, love today's version...
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bykaloren November 12, 2009

Great learning entertainment for elementary aged kids!

This is a great update of the show I watched as a kid. The electric powers and musical breaks make it a very entertaining way to learn about the English language. The good vs. bad students are a bit over the top at times, but they make my kids laugh and they get that the bad kids are wrong.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byNurturingMom247 September 25, 2009

Good for ages 6+

Great fun, educational, my 6 year old loves it. I think PBS should slow down the fast rhyming songs so kids can process the words and patterns.
Adult Written byabu malik September 4, 2009

ok for young kids to wacth

from what i read this electric show seems to be an ok show to wacth for the kids
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written bySnoozhe August 8, 2009

Your 1st Graders on up will love this!

My six year old daughter loves it and is learning things, that push her way past shows like Sesame Street. The technology is cute and stories are socially positive.
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byAPGoddess83 January 22, 2009

A must see show!!

My kids and I watched the first two episodes of this the other day and it was great!!! I always love when there is a show that I enjoy watching with them and this is one of those shows. Lots of educational moments with good music and funny characters! What a great, fun way to introduce or enforce phonics to your early reader! I wasn't born yet when the older version was on but we sure are enjoying this one! Can't wait to see the next episodes! Definitely check it out.