All parent member reviews for The Fairly OddParents

Adult Written bycalabash April 9, 2008

This show has gone downhill in quality

"The Fairly Oddparents" was once a funny and charming show. Timmy Turner, the main character, was a good-hearted, put-upon kid who badly needed the intervention of fairy godparents. Those godparents, Wanda and Cosmo, were originally a loving and lovable couple - but alas, due to an appalling and incomprehensible decision by the show's producers, Cosmo has been recently been turned into a jerk, especially to his long-suffering wife, Wanda; he insults her, and treats her badly (in one cartoon he thinks she's been murdered, and his only reaction is to regret not taking out an insurance policy on her. When he learns she's alive, he reacts like this: "Well, there go my dating plans.") Wanda, who is the only voice of reason on the show, is labeled a "nag" and victimized on a regular basis. As if this weren't bad enough, both godparents - who are married, mind you - are frequently shown flirting with other people. All this is an apparent (I'm guessing here) attempt on the part of the show's producers to give their show more of an edge; what it's actually done is to rob it of all its worth. I would not let ANY child watch this show's more recent episodes. What a pity to see a once-enjoyable show for all ages take such a steep dive in quality.
Parent of a 7, 7, 8, 11, and 14 year old Written byChrist-Lover May 15, 2011

It was nice while it lasted...

Honestly, it used to be funny. Now it's just potty humour, potty humour, potty humour, more potty humour, and stupid humour. I also always hated how dumb the parents are. In reality, parents would believe their children if their babysitter was evil. Also, the "Fairly Odd Baby" episode was kind of disturbing. I mean, Cosmo giving birth? Really? That's going to put some real weird messages in kids head. The old episodes used good messages and role models, the newer episodes on the other hand.... Well, you know.
Parent Written bysperryking July 9, 2011

Parents relax stop smuggling your kids

I think parents Are over reacting, yes it doesn't always have the best messages and a mean babysitter but at the end of every episode there always is a message that shows Timmy his selfish back-talking ways are wrong and teach him a lesson. it may not have as much moral values as a pbs kids program but its nothing that kids aren't already exposed to in school. i know many kids that are obsessed with wrestling shows which and whose parents buy them the action figures but i dont understand how we dont see any issues with that. Any words that are considered bad are mild words like "butt head" you'd be suprise what your 5 year olds say and learn in school.this show shows some moral values with the entertaining factor thats no worse than power rangers. please be open minded because your kids cant watch ni hao kai lan, or max and ruby forever they're getting older. while i do admit that it has gotten milder since poof came along well all the more reason for you le your kis watch it
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 2, 2012

MAKE A WISH!!!

I grew up watching this show, and I still love it! It is very creative and hilarious! Nothing too violent, sometimes there are moments where each character is hurt, but they feel better in the next scene. I guess all cartoons are like that! Anyway, parents, this show will definitely entertain your kids if they haven't seen this show!
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 14, 2012

*in Timmy's voice* I wish this show gets back to it's feet!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it's old episodes! But since Poof came in,the humor started to go away.Also,did you know Butch Hartman is ADDING ANOTHER CHARACTER who is a magical dog named Sparky? I'd feel so happy if Sparky saves FOP,but if he makes it worse,Butch needs to put this show on hiatus and work on T.U.F.F. Puppy (which is my 3rd favorite show.)
Adult Written byFairly OddParents 23 April 18, 2012

The Fairly OddParents

Some words like "heck," "turp," "punk" and more.
Parent Written bysumoni May 20, 2012

Great show, not so much in the later seasons

One of my favorite Nick cartoons since the 90s ones have left. It's very entertaining for kids and family alike. However there's a downside to unlimited wishes. Timmy, being a child, will sometimes take advantage of others. He'll wish for the craziest things and may represent some selfish ideals. While I have no problem with his wishes against Vicky or her character in general. I feel the parents are a little too goofy. They go from being somewhat parental figures, to complete idiots. Even Timmy's fairy godparents themselves, so he has no positive adult role models.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Great Nicktoon!

This show is super funny! I like all the characters.Cosmo is REALLY funny! The theme song is really catchy as well.
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 14, 2012

Great show!

I love this show! It is really funny and creative.If you like cute cartoons check this out!
Adult Written byBan Moy December 22, 2015

Common Sense too lenient

I think this show is a bit too edgy for 6 year olds. Some characters are rude to each other and authorities (parents, teachers, etc.) and some episodes deal with questionable themes. Overall, Off for 5 and under, pause for age 6-7 On for 8+
Parent of a 6, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byh4mommy April 16, 2010

Undermines parents' role

Although I think the writers are witty and it can make me laugh, my family stopped watching this show. My husband and I were concerned with the repeated portrayal of parents who are idiots and completely out of tune with their son. I know it's a cartoon, but think about the message: this kid has no relationship with his parents and they spend no time with him - so he depends on 2 magic fairies to raise him. It just doesn't sit right with me.
Adult Written byemerld232 April 9, 2008

I have NEVER liked this show.

I honestly do not understand all the positive reviews of this cartoon. I do not allow my 8 and 5 year old boys to watch this show if I can help it. This show portrays teachers and babysitters as violent and threatening. The characters are always YELLING very loudly at each other. I don't like the hyper-activity of this show. The whole thing feels very mean to me.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 4, 2012

Good and funny cartoon

Very funny cartoon with the misadventures of a boy and his fairies. Violence and language are EXTREMELY mild. Good for 4 and up. Should be rated TV-G.
Parent Written byj9good September 11, 2012

not thrilled with this show

I'm not thrilled with this show, mainly because the characters often call one another an "idiot." On the plus side, it spurred conversations with my daughter about why we don't call another person an idiot. She's 6, and she assures me she knows it's a cartoon and would not call someone an idiot in real life. It is also strange that Timmy has not one female friend. In fact, there are no decent female characters at all, just a mean female babysitter and a pretty, vain girl who literally goes crazy if people stop telling her she is pretty. You'd be far better off with Phineas & Ferb, which has loads of decent girl characters - even boy crazy Candace has her redeeming moments. Or Johnny Test, which has Johnny's two genius sisters.
Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byResponibleParentOf2 July 12, 2011

Adult themes; adult humor.

This show is full of adult themes and adult humor, children would not understand it. It portrays all babysitters as evil and shows that with magic you always get what you want. It was rated incorrectly; it should be rated TV-14-LV at least. My children will not be able to watch this until they are at least 17.
Adult Written bytvconnoisseur June 17, 2015

Interestingly Unruly

It can be funny, but the audio is absolutely anxiety-inducing!
Adult Written bykaraloyal May 14, 2011

Abusive babysitter is troubling

My kid loves this show, but I find it VERY disturbing that the bio parents are largely absent and blatantly ignore that the babysitter they hire over and over again is an abusive bully.
Parent Written byaaronpoley July 18, 2013