Kid reviews for The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale Poster Image

Best TV Show Ever Made

This show is so amazing! It’s extremely graphic, but I think everyone needs to see it due to the powerful messages and very real topics of rape, abuse, forced surrogacy, victim blame, sexism, patriarchy, homophobia, theocracy, and more. It is incredibly well-made and perfectly casted. The metaphors and symbolism is flawless (when she’s standing in front of the angel statue with the wings behind her.... FLAWLESS). Elisabeth Moss’s performance (as well as that of Ann Dowd, Alexis Bledel, Yvonne Starhovski, and literally everyone) is phenomenal and moving. I can’t wait for the next season! Please, please, please watch this. It is so necessary, and it will change your life.

Meh

First: I only watched the first episode and the beginning of the second. I have read the book. It wasn't bad violence wise. Yes there were dead people and a girl had a bandage and later scarring from her eye been ripped out (but you don't actually see that happen). Overall I didn't find the violence that bad but at the same time take it with a grain of salt because I have seen movies like "The Irishman", "The Last Samurai", and "The Godfather". Sex wise there is a sex scene in both of the videos that I watched, but everyone is fully clothed. You see their faces and a view of the girl's legs. Personally I found that a big too much for me, as I really try to avoid sex. There was also a fully nude woman's backside and top front. It is up close as well. If you try to avoid nudity then that would set you off but didn't find anything like that in the second episode. Overall I didn't even finish the second video because I found the episodes slow, dull, and honestly boring. I don't need everything to be an action film but most of the movie is shots of the character's face looking bored. It wasn't the TV series for me.

This show is really good

This show is VERY deep and have quite disturbing scenes that involves the acts of lynching and abuse. I'm for one am a very sensitive person so I had to skip over some scenes especially when it started showing the killings of innocent people. BUT the show is also very well-written and intriguing. Everything about the show from the producers and writers and to the actors are is great and they are AMAZINGLY talented. Including the main character (who is an awesome actress) that told the story about a woman who stops at nothing to bring the ones she loves to safety. And as a teen myself, it was also a little educational. There are some sexual scenes that show a little bit of nudity in the breast area but nothing much elsewhere. Just to warn you though once you watch the first two episodes you're not gonna stop watching til the end haha.

This is a really good show but there are a lot of sexual scenes and scenes with blood,guns, basically a lot of violence. But this is a very women empowering show. And I haven’t finished yet

Really good show

As a 13 year old who read the book and watched the show, love it, and understands it, I rated this for teens 14 and up, although it would be fine for a mature 12 or 13 year old. I say this because my friends around my age or below have trouble understanding it especially from a political standpoint. This being said, my one mature 13 yr old friend loves and understands it, but my other friends are all brainless baboons that don’t know difference from blue and red (like my reference?) , and they are the ones that have the trouble.

Great show with strong messages

If you’re looking to watch a show with strong female leads and intense drama, The Handmaid’s Tale is for you. Although I rated the show 14+, I really believe that it all comes down to your/your child’s maturity. The show has sex/rape (fully clothed), strong language (f*ck, c*nt, sh*t, etc.), (some) nudity, and violence. If you can handle this then I would highly recommend it. This show gives you and your family a lot to discuss. The acting is phenomenal and the cinematography is wonderful as well.

Adult Dystopian Masterpiece

The Handmaid's Tale is a beautiful and extremely disturbing adaptation of a semi-disturbing book. The wonderful book is detailed, but contains much less strong sexual and disturbing violent content. Parents should know that this show would be suitable for a mature 15 to 17 year old. Some sexual scenes are easy to skip, while others can be sudden and graphic. Consensual and non-consensual sex is very frequent, whereas nudity is infrequent. The violence can be graphic at times, and is always realistically disturbing. Sexual violence, torture, and prostitution are all themes to be aware of. The language, although infrequent, is pervasive, but purposeful. Apart from it's adult content, The Handmaid's Tale is a story of hope in a severely screwed up society, executed and acted with a magical perfection (excluding the fairly weak third season).