All parent member reviews for The Magic School Bus

Adult Written byLowe's man May 8, 2016

even worse than Barney

Yes, you read that right. Several years ago MommaFish felt a need to tell her daughter that school isn't going to be like Miss Frizzle's classroom. It had better not be! And if it is, heaven help us! If I would've had Miss Frizzle I would've asked Barney to come and rescue me and fly me into a purple phone booth. Sometimes even our enemies are our friends! I saw this show once or twice in the late 90s, and my, was it overstimulating! If I would've had Miss Frizzle I would've run for cover. SESAME STREET, CAPTAIN KANGAROO and 3-2-1 CONTACT made science fun and entertaining without being overstimulating. No one on those shows ever wore loud clothes either like Miss Frizzle did. Those were much better shows! Another thing, at least according to marykins2004, is that there was one episode where the kids went inside a sick kid. Didn't they ask his doctor for permission first? If they didn't, Miss Frizzle was showing a reckless disregard for HIPPA laws and in the process encouraged her students to do the same. This show may be unwittingly encouraging unethical behavior. And let us not forget the simplistic language used on THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS. Introduce your children to SESAME STREET, CAPTAIN KANGAROO or 3-2-1 CONTACT instead. You'll thank me. As for THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS, let's be glad that it's gone, and let's hope that it stays gone!!!
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 27, 2013

This was a fun way to get televised education!

While there are some moments where the kids might be in danger, there's nothing here that parents will want to raise their eyebrows. Besides, this is a fun show! I used to love it so much, and it's very educational!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byJennEBryan April 9, 2008
Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

great show!

I am very conservative regarding what I let my kid watch--every movie must be screened before he sees it to be sure it's ok. The magic school bus meets every criterion--there is no sex, no violence, no massively adult themes (like racism or nazis) AND it's educational AND it's fun. My son loves the show, and so do I.
Parent Written bylimegreensneaks@gmai November 17, 2015
My preschooler started by reading the books before we moved onto the TV series. Each episode follows a book quite closely, which might be helpful for younger viewers (our library had almost all of the books). He has picked up several scientific concepts from the show, although some are (obviously) over his head. However, he still enjoys the characters' interactions even if he doesn't understand the scientific concepts. Aside from the science lessons and some discussion about what might be happening interpersonally for the characters, my son also learned a lot about wordplay, puns and jokes thanks to Carlos' perpetually bad jokes. Personally, I like that the kids are diverse, and that the character of Miss Frizzle is a very positive female role model. Also, unlike in other shows, where the child-characters can engage in nasty name calling or bullying, the characters in this show sometimes are in conflict, there is positive modeling of how to handle that. While I understand that other parents might be concerned that this gives kids unrealistic expectations about school, this has not been an issue for us--he has asked how the bus could do X, Y or Z and we simply explain that it is magic and make believe. This seems to be enough for him.
Parent Written byOnlineParentSpy July 17, 2012

TV Show (Magic School Bus Review).

The magic school bus is a fun learning TV show! In This Case... My 4 Year old loves this.... she says... she wants to watch it for the rest of her life time!? I don`t know where she learned that! But.... this is very good for all ages! They Learn About Bugs, Animals, Germs etc. This is fun for kids! I am giving it a 4!!!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byyip95 December 25, 2010
Parent of an infant, 2, and 5 year old Written byspirited_mama November 25, 2009

Educational and fun!

My five-year old son loves this show. And his two-year old sister will watch it with him without complaint. He finds it interesting, is thrilled when it comes on TV, and he's always telling me about things he learned on the show.
Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written byBarby40 August 2, 2009

Great show!

My kids are 5 1/2 and have been watching since they were 4. It always keeps their attention and they learn about science!
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bydarthparent January 27, 2009

A Great Show

This is truly a great show. It manages to explain complex science topics well.
Adult Written bymamafish November 13, 2008

My daughter's favorite show

It amazes me how many science stories she tells us after watching Magic School Bus. I don't know how to break it to her that real school isn't quite going to be like Ms. Frizzle's classroom!
Adult Written byvalerie1299 April 9, 2008

Awesome!

My son (8)and daughter (4) love this show and so do I! Great for educational value and they don't even know they're learning...that's the best part.
Adult Written byvancampwi April 9, 2008
Adult Written bywhovian85 April 9, 2008

Best show ever

I remember watching this show all the time when I was a kid. It was the best on PBS!!! It kicked Athur's butt. Only Wishbone parralled in greatness. I can still remember some of the stuff it taught me as a kid. I'd even watch it today!
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybarnett April 9, 2008

Wa-hoooooo!

My son is absolutely bonkers about this bus! How many five year olds can tell you what an "esophagus" or "villi" is? And then turn around and tell you everything you SHOULD have learned in school about the planets? For those kids interested in science (or those who need a little push perhaps), this show has it all. I wish I had Ms. Frizzle back when I was in school! Awesome series!
Adult Written bydanimarsh April 9, 2008
Adult Written bySeashel70 April 9, 2008

One of my favorite kids shows

Magic School Bus is an awesome show. My oldest is almost 8 years old now, and we still have to watch it before school starts. He knows so much more about science and is so much more interested in it since he started watching it. They show how much you can learn about so many topics, and help prompt interest in science and the world around us, more than just video games and mindless non-thought-provoking tv programs.
Adult Written bypraiseldr April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylynnk1246 April 9, 2008

My kids LOVE this show!!!

My 4 and 6 year old LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. My 6 year old loves science and this has been her favorite show since she was around 4. She begs me to record it now that she's in school all day. It's a great intro into science and its concepts. The consistancy of the characters help too. I know I even have learned some things from this show.