Parent reviews for The Middle

Funny look at average family is OK for older tweens and up.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymarierm August 22, 2014

The best current show for adults to watch with older tweens & teens

For a long time I've been looking for a show that I actually enjoy with my 11 and 13 year old daughters, but most of them are either obnoxious, written for older teens and young adults, or in the case of one entire channel, obnoxious AND stupid. When I accidentally stumbled upon The Middle, it was in the middle of an episode featuring the very talented Eden Sher (at the time an older teen playing a middle school student, currently a 22 year old playing a high school student. She really excels at physical comedy.) Her normally well-behaved but very high strung character Sue is desperately suggesting to her father the harshest punishments for herself after getting caught sneaking into an R rated movie. "I wasn't ready for it! Why would they DO that?" She throws herself on her bed urging him to ground her or take away her phone for a longer amount of time, which he be-musingly does at her insistence. I immediately saw the irony this show uses to dramatize real families in a humorous way. The parents in this show have what the mom (played by Eternal Mom Patricia Heaton) describes as a relaxed parenting style. Each child navigates childhood/teen years with their own unique and highly entertaining idiosyncrasies, as mom tries to hold everything together. The heart of the show is about love/hate relationships with extended family, forced family fun, not being able to afford the new dishwasher/designer shoes, and other things families and couples experience on a day to day basis, with a really good script. They do touch on middle and high school subjects (french kissing and such), and the teens on the show kiss their boyfriend/girlfriends. Teen boy has many girlfriends/kisses random girls. Occasionally the parents discuss their sex life. Dad drinks beer. (They can't afford name brand products, so consumerism isn't an issue!) One of my favorite episodes involves Sue begging to go to a Justin Beiber concert (this was aired before the egging/DUI/bucket stories surfaced). They can't afford it, but come to an agreement that Sue will forgo all future birthday and Christmas presents for x number of years to make up for the cost. Sue agrees. Mom and Sue try to get them online and via phone but end up camping out at the radio station, finally gets tickets. On the night of the show, as Mom is excitedly getting ready to share her daughter's excitement and joy, Sue exuberantly thanks her and asks for the tickets so she and her best friend can go, never once realizing her mom wanted to go, not to mention how excited her mom was to share the experience with her. Mom hands over the tickets and smiles, hiding her disappointment and heading off to watch TV with Dad. That's what most good parents do for our kids, and it's nice to see we're not alone.
Adult Written byholly525 October 2, 2013

Great Show for Parents and Teens to Watch Together

I love this show! Sometimes I swear I'm watching my own family on TV when I watch it! It makes me not feel so bad about being so awkward! I like the fact that it's a non-glamorized portrayal of everyday life. One message you can get from it is that not everyone has that picture-perfect life, but you can still appreciate the small moments in life. And find the humor in everything! I think that's so important!

Parent of a 1 year old Written byAlfan March 25, 2014
I don't believe the show to be realistic. The family is just a little too chaotic to be typical. Most people in 2014 have replaced the avocado appliances by now. The house is a parody of what Hollywood thinks is a normal Midwestern home.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written by4mountains September 16, 2010
We laugh quite a bit as we watch this together. We do let our 9 year old watch The Middle, although there is sometimes a bit too much "d*mn", "cr*p", and other words we don't like either of our kids to use. Once in a while there is a bit too much sexual innuendo. I wouldn't say this is a perfect show for families, but it's very well written and for the most part, we are OK with the content. They always try to weave in a life lesson, which we appreciate.

Adult Written byM T November 12, 2016

Where Did My Favorite Show Go?

This used to be my very favorite show. I have watched every episode over and over. Seasons one through four are awesome, season five is pretty good, but starting with 6-7 and now eight...why are they making Frankie and Axel So dumb? I loved this show because Frankie was relatable but now they have her acting weird. Axel needs to cut his hair and his character needs to evolve...not have a new dumb girlfriend. Love Mike! I don't know if they have gotten new writers but I hope they think about how multidimensional the characters use to be and give Frankie back her dignity.
Adult Written byshanerocks May 10, 2012

Outstanding Comedy!

This show is one of my favorite shows! A great family show. The only reason I put it up for age 11 is because the parents drink alcohol in mostly every episode and some episodes there is words that are not THAT bad but not the best.

Adult Written byLBC April 8, 2014

Great Family Friendly Show

The Middle is a great show that the whole family can enjoy together. It is funny and very relatable. There is always a moral to the story and we sometimes use them as teaching moments. We can definitely relate to most story lines, maybe not as dramatic or exagarated but we always seem to say, this is just like us, or we do the same thing when watching the show. I always watch it first and select the ones that are appropriate to show to the kids. While the show is mostly very tame, some episodes, especially those centered around the Axl and his friends, aren't appropriate for my kids this age. Axl is a high school teen who is very disrepectful to his parents and there are some very undesirable behavior and manners which I really don't want the kids to emulate. I also agree with other reviewers (ABC, please listen) that the language is not that great. It isn't horrible. But they really should refrain from using words like damn, hell, stupid (which they say a lot), freaking (really don't like that one), shut up, etc. I don't know any parent that would say those words in front of their kids, much less to them. But face it, all TV shows and movies say those words and normally I just let it slide and not make a big deal of it. Why draw attention to it, right? But on this show, they use these words so frequently that we actually made a point to explain to the kids that that is just TV and it is not acceptable in real life. There is drinking on the show. Again, it isn't horrible. It is more like casually haveing a beer after a long day. They don't draw much attention to it. It is not like major partying or drinking is cool or anything like that. However, I read in one comment that it seems to be daily occurance. I must admit I noticed that too, especially in the newer episodes, and I do agree it can be scaled back a little. At our household, we've been known to have a beer or two, but usually just a couple of nights a week. Maybe a Friday when the work/school week is over. With all that said, it is a great show. Clever and funny, moral and wholesome, heartwarming and uplifting. Makes me think of the old shows like Family Ties, Growing Pain, or The Wonder Years when I was a kid watching with my folks and siblings. I recommend to all families.

Adult Written byPittsburghmichaels September 22, 2017

One of the Telivision shows for the entire family

WOW ! This is a great show The humor keeps changing and this show for all ages because their is nothing in here that would offend parents. You are going to love this show

Parent Written byD G August 17, 2017

What do know, a show for the family.

I love sitcoms. I have since I was a kid, Unfortunately, I have not been able to share my love of them with my kids, up until now. The Middle is the only modern sitcom that I have been able to watch with my kids, at least of good quality. I guess I could have watched some of the old ABC Family/Disney sitcoms, but they were terrible and pretty much made all parents look like idiots, so not for me. The Middle isn't perfect. I've had a couple of cringe moments here and there, but few and far between. While it is a sitcom, it is also heartfelt with some genuinely good lessons for families to talk about. The acting, production, and writing are top notch too. It's truly an enjoyable show for families. The show has had an eight year run with one more to go, so the kids start out young and end up in college. Start with the early ones with younger kids and move along. Even though they go to college, the show doesn't use that as an excuse to get edgier. It is still family friendly. Enjoy!

Parent of a 16 year old Written bycape January 26, 2011

ok but

this show is funny very very funny just wish they would tone down the swearing a bit though because this and modern family seem to be the only 2 family sitcoms there are and it kind of spoils things with that bad language but like it other than that .ps i love sue she is just so fun who coudnt love her .

Adult Written byLela D. June 16, 2017

LANGUAGE

I really loved the show, so funny; but on last show I watched both older children used profanity then I thought I heard Brick say "goddamn" . The show would be funny without this. Always enjoyed Rev. Tim Tom
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDaJoos October 9, 2009

A funny show for the family with tweens and above to watch together

As this is a new show I can only give my impression after watching the first episode, so things might change (doubt it, though). In any case my wife and I watched the first 10 minutes or so by ourselves (recorded) before deciding that not only was it appropriate for our 13 year old but that she would like it - we were right. The next evening we sat down together and watched the entire episode and really enjoyed it - it is entertaining and (so far) very funny. Thankfully it does not appear to be written by 23 year olds who think every 'joke' has to be related to sex or belittling someone - humor is related to what every family goes through. Very mild language, and funny 'placement ads' for other ABC shows did not bother me in the least.
Parent of a 5, 9, and 15 year old Written byAmber D. August 25, 2017

Good Funny Show

I think this show is very funny. The teenage boy does constantly walk around in his boxers, that may offend some people. I can't think of any swear words in any episodes. Over all it is a pretty good show to watch.
Adult Written byAlas-de-Aguila February 20, 2017

Family Viewing

I've been watching The Middle since it came out. I like this show because it's very true to life while putting a comedic edge to it. I would venture to say that between 7 and 8 out of 10 families are just like this. I didn't really think this show was going to make it as long as it has, but I'm sure glad it's still on.

Parent of a 12, 13, and 16 year old Written byEvie W. January 20, 2017

Great Sitcom!!

This is one of the best shows on ABC!!! It is funny and leaves my whole family in tears every week. My husband, my 16 yr old daughter, my 13 year old son, and my 12 year old daughter all love this show, and it's appropriate for all!! It's very rare that my whole family will sit down to watch a show, but this show is engaging and funny for all of us!!!!
Adult Written byBree B. December 29, 2016

Great funny show

This is a great funny show.

Adult Written bychris d. September 19, 2016

One family that I believe everyone could relate to

OK where do I start with this show it is relatable to most families today and we love it around our house this picks up where modern family lacks and is always good for a laugh there are good and bad influences here we have sweet and adorkable Sue whose probably the most positive member of the family the rest of them have their moments of positive and negative comments and results from things that they have done or poor choices made but we love them and we think u will too

Adult Written bydan m. August 30, 2016

awesome show for the whole family

This is an amazing family show. There is no violence and lots of positive role models and messages. There is a little bit of mild swears but if your child is mature and knows not to say those words then its a perfectly good show to watch with your family

Adult Written bykarinah12 May 24, 2015

best

ithas a few bad words but otherwise teaches you a lot on family situations

Adult Written byNitroreviews April 6, 2015

The Middle

The Middle is another family sitcom that mainly focuses on the life of a struggling family in Indiana. There is really nothing to worry about on this show, occasionally there might be some offensive jokes and the brothers and sisters picking on each other, but thats really it.