All teen and kid member reviews for The Originals

Teen, 14 years old Written by5saltydog November 3, 2013

The Originals > The Vampire Diaries

Even better then "The Vampire Diaries", if i'm being honest. "The Originals" is a spin-off that revolves around, well, The Originals. We follow Klaus, Rebecca, Elijah, and Hayley as they move to New Orleans; Hayley in search of her biological family, and the rest trying to take back their position as the somewhat "founders" of the city from a vampire named Marcel who has taken all the credit. What I particularly think makes this better then it's counter part is that it is not all about love triangles, there is more then that. This show revolves around family and about protecting them, and the willingness to do anything for them if in danger. All of the women on this show are strong, and independent. Even pregnant Hayley is no damsel in distress. Overall I think this is a much more interesting show then The Vampire Diaries, and if you already aren't watching you should!
Teen, 16 years old Written byMormont November 24, 2013

The Original

Teen, 15 years old Written byGirlyGirlwithDocs October 12, 2013

Possibly Worth Continuing If You Have Seen The Vampire Diaries

I have been thoroughly disappointed with this TV series so far. Only onto two episodes, and the random characters popping up and not-so dramatic plot twists are irritating. Rebekah is constantly reminding us that she is British and despite the fact she is trying to 'help' the vampire has just thrown a wrench in Klaus' plans. The only decent characters on the show are Ellijah and (surprisingly) Haley. Her character development has actually been fairly good despite the fact that I am a major Klaroine shipper. Marcel's role in the plot has just annoyed me in general and I do not understand why Pec had to do this spin-off. It also recaps nothing for anyone who hasn't watched the Vampire Diaries and only true fans will care for the show. Then in that group of fans will slowly diminish to nothing as (only on the 2nd episode) this show has already started dragging and being a disappointment. For appropriateness, this show is for mostly teens and some tweens. If they can handle a bit of gore, of course. And when Pec does throw out gore, it is not done tastefully. Anything sexual is minimal, but if it does follow the pattern of the Vampire Diaries their may be some sexual content that does not really show anything.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygwhitney March 5, 2014

LOVE THIS SHOW!

I started watching Vampire Diaries which is how I found out about The Originals. I love this spin-off and would recommend it to everyone but I think that you have to be 13 to 14 and above. There is a lot of drinking and violence because they are well... vampires. One of the latest episodes though included one of the main girls being controlled by a witch that was making her see zombie like victims of a fever. I think that you just have to make sure your kids will not be disturbed by the violence in the film.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNetflix_Love13 July 22, 2016

Great Show

This show is absolutely amazing I enjoyed it. Being a vampire show there is a lot of gore involved. The story is based on family so it's a good message. There is some implied sex senes but only a few. I have never watched vampire diaries you can watch this show without doing so it stands on its own. There is drinking but only the 18+ characters do so. Very good show the first episode may be confusing though they introduce a lot of characters but it's definetly worth watching.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybriia July 13, 2016

One of my favorite shows ever

The originals is very underrated. The plot is amazing, there is a lot of character development and the characters are generally well-made. It is helpful to watch at least up to season 2 (or 4) of the vampire diaries first to get some background information on the characters, but it's not at all necessary.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywhathe@what February 18, 2016
Teen, 17 years old Written byilovemoviesandtv February 10, 2016

Great for older teens

TO is more steamy and bloody than TVD. It shows the importance of family, but characters don't show an ounce of guilt when shedding blood.
Adult Written bymblessedmother December 11, 2015

I have mixed feelings about this show

Very interesting and engrossing show, but almost all of the main characters are bad guys. They don't care about other people, unless they're related or they have some other connection to them. They are vampires, so I guess that's kind of to be expected though. There is also so much betrayal among the siblings, so even the family loyalty doesn't always last. I still watch it because it's such an engrossing show and it's hard not to get emotionally invested. If you just want some entertainment it's ok, but be aware there is a lot of violence and it can get sexually innapropriate, so I end up skipping parts. Not for kids who are easily influenced, as the characters are NOT good role models. Bottom line - very interesting plots lines and engrossing story overall, but not many redeeming qualities in the central characters and lots of violence and some sex.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMalik1Saad2 July 6, 2015

Awesome!!!

A great show.A lot better than Vampire Diaries. I don't suggest this show for any one under 15.It has intense violence. Bad language.Sexual themes. My little brother aged 13 also doesn't watches this T.V show.
Teen, 15 years old Written byirenek999 April 21, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written bymahnoorh October 15, 2014
Teen, 16 years old Written byizzybelle August 22, 2014

brilliant

this is a brillaint tv programme that from the first episode i was hooked on, i never watched the vampire diaries before and still havnt yet i have found it easy to undertstand what is going on in the plot. it lost a star because sometimes it is slightly repetitive however the plot line is brilliant and original and i would defonatly advise it for anyone over 14 years of age.