Parent reviews for The Shield

Thoughtful, mature cop show...with lots of blood.

Adult Written byRev.Jack_Package January 1, 2016

All time favorite drama series

Adult Written byzeekattacklee February 3, 2015

Great cop Show...

The show does have it’s moments with language, Violence, drugs, and a bit of mature content. On that note, I Personally would want parents to use judgement before letting younger children watch it.. Otherwise, A great show for adults and mature teenagers.. Other than that, I wouldn’t recommend this to younger children..

Parent Written byedonovan December 23, 2013

Common Sense Shield

I have watched this show from beginning to end three times. I think it might be the best TV show in history. However, I disagree with the review above which says you can't say the protagonist, Vic Mackey, is a good or bad cop. In the first episode he murders one of his team members. He commits murder at least five times in the series. In the last episode he hangs his remaining partner out to dry (meaning that guy goes to prison for the rest of his life).

The brilliance of the show is in creating an atmosphere and story where we find ourselves confused time and time again by Vic's morality ... is he a good guy... is he a bad guy. This is the way that extreme narcissists survive in the world. The final episode, though, brings home a bleak message of the terrible costs, for everyone in his life, of Vic Mackey's way of being a cop. Everyone important to him is dead, in witness protection, or in prison.

He is a poisonous, dangerous, but very compelling and charming character. He gets things done, but causes more harm than good.

Adult Written byTbadman June 1, 2011

Excellent cop show with unflinching,graphic realism

The Shield is a very powerfull and realistic show. The writing is smart and the performances are excellent. Its depiction of police work is graphic,realistic and disturbing. The show contains graphic violent content,scenes of sexuality and rape,rear nudity and multiple uses of words like S--t, d--k a--hole and other profanities. It is a great show but is not for children or young teens

Adult Written bymr.TR March 13, 2011

Good show for adults, but not a show for people under 17.

This is post only my opinion. Please do not feel that you need to adopt my opinion.
I do like the gritty realism in the writing of the show.
But, I think that some of the episodes have parts that would disturb people under 17, such as: disturbing violence and gruesome sexual crimes.
I also think that the messages of the show aren't positive, and that some of the violence and bloody scenes are put in the show to boost ratings.
Please don't show this TV show to people under 17.

Adult Written byThatKrazyGuy March 29, 2010

The Best FX Original Series!

The Shield is rated TV-MA for graphic violence, strong language, and strong sexual content including mild nudity.

Parent Written byspacejockeys April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytvgirl April 9, 2008

SpikeTV edition

I was home sick yesterday and found this show on SpikeTV. What's different is that it is now TV-14 rated on that channel. Why? Because the station edited the show down.

Words like s--t, p---y, c--k, f--k, and g--damn that the characters use so frequently out of anger are dubbed out.

Also, the violence is toned down a lot along with sex and nudity. Actually, sometimes the sex and nudity are cut completely from the episode.

Reviewing for the SpikeTV cut only, I give this show a TV-14 rating.
Adult Written byChris LP April 9, 2008

Awesome program with lots of HBO-level mateiral

This is probably the best cop show to ever grace the small-screen of basic cabel television. I love it. I buy the DVDs the second they come out like a child does with toys.

The warning before each episode says it all. Language includes all bad words such as Goddamn, shit, f--k, bitch, son of a bitch, piss, c--k, p---y, and so much more. Violence is pretty extreme. Drugs are involved with crimes a whole lot. Sex is related to almost every story and include nudity.

This is a show only ment for viewers over the age of 17.