Parent reviews for The Son

Quality drama about oil-industry family kind of a snooze.

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byDonna U. June 12, 2017

Great Western Generations Story

If you like westerns you will really like this series. It keeps you guessing & I love the details of the history of the family. My husband & I enjoyed watching it together. We really hope the series continues.
Parent Written byL G. April 29, 2017

Fantastic!!

I think it tells how things really were in that time, with the violence and reference to the different types of people i.e.; ( Indians Mexicans and so on) it tells a fictional tale as if it were a true story, just the way it would have been, it was a violent world back then. However the Sundance Channel is making a fortune off the commercials there seems to be one every 6 or 7 minutes. Just sayin.
Adult Written bydfilmpro June 1, 2017

Violent western of decent quality but not for kids.

Well told story good production value. Similar story as 'There will Be Blood' but not quite as gory. Still too violent so far for my tastes. (Spoiler) In second episode a man is shown being 'scalped' while alive and screaming closeups and blood pouring over his face. not necessary. I like non-paid cable shows because I don't have to worry too much about objectionable content but this one crosses the line for me as usually it escalates as episodes advance. So far there have been a few sex scenes as well but no nudity yet. There are also scenes of smoking peyote.

Adult Written byPeg P. June 18, 2017

The Son demonstrates the power some families will use to get what they want

This is a generational story about power and take over. If you think 2017 is about a powerful take overs, try a story set in 1865 To their present to realize Land, oil and social status rule! The cast is great and I enjoy the 2 story lines of Indian survival and life back in civilization. Eli's brutal/rational behavior was certainly shaped by his upbringing with the Comanches.

Adult Written bySharon C June 17, 2017

Lacking in accuracy

Sure, there were scalping, tortures, hangings, land grabbing with betrayal of neighbors, and executions that included infants, in the western expansion movement. But did every horrific detail have to happen in this ONE fictional family's tale? The film makers not only altered history, but emblemished it to the point of NO ACTUAL FACTUAL relation to history! Make no mistake, all the previous was included just shock viewers into continued watching. I taught about the western movement, and it bears no relation to the sensationalized smut that is The Son. What a shame when the truth is every bit as interesting as this drivel. And this is from a descendant of a real cowboy who drove cattle across the plains.

Adult Written byBob W. May 5, 2018

A ridiculous portrayal of a great book

Laughter? How can I count the times. The Mexicans hiding behind the picket fence? The fat fat fat "comanches" with their bellies flopping and jiggling on their horses? What a sad sad portrayal of a great book. A comedy.