Parent reviews for The Stinky & Dirty Show

The Stinky & Dirty Show Poster Image

Nothing Else Measures Up

The Stinky and Dirty Show RUINED ALL other kids show for us! Unfortunately/fortunately, it's the first show my son started watching. I can't recommend this show enough! It is essentially a well-plotted guidebook to both Maker and Growth Mindsets. High-quality animation, endearing characters with clever names that match the vehicle function (like Chip for the jack hammer tractor, Sweepy for the street sweeper...)., and an intentionally-crafted script make for a wonderful show! Every 2-part episode focuses on obstacles (down to the last watermelon, Go City's race gets off track because the race path gets erased, tugboat's light isn't working and it can't see the way to guide a big ship...) and the process of finding solutions. Stinky and Dirty always work together. Sinky, a garbage truck, declares, "We might find the answer with... the POWER of Garbage", at which point he dumps out his hopper and they creatively use the items in a remedy. I love that they say, "What if..." and then suggest a solution, or "That's interesting," and then describe what they're observing. Dirty sprinkles dirt down, Stinky says, "I know what you're doing! You're thinking! Let me help, let me help!" Then they commence to draw out potential plans. Kids repeat what they hear, and my son started using those phrases early on. And... big points! This show isn't annoying for adults! Nothing (voices, design) is overly-cutesy. Dan Bern wrote a folksy soundtrack with incredibly poetic and smart lyrics. We listen to the soundtrack from seasons 1 and 2 all the time! Characters speak in their own voice. Vocabulary is impressive but context clues make it understandable for toddlers. Conversations are polite and positive. They've completely avoided any snarkiness, sarcasm, or bad attitudes, but still manage to include and tackle conflict. Need I go on? You will NOT regret anything about watching this show, except for the fact that looking for any future kids show will be a complete disappointment!

3 people found this helpful.

My 3yo girl laughs out loud!

I agree with other reviewers that the 2-stars for educational value greatly undersells this show. The characters really model thinking through a problem, trying different solutions, persisting despite sometimes failing, and working together. I only wish there were more female characters. Girls love construction, too!

1 person found this helpful.

Wonderful show for kids and parents alike

Critical thinking and teamwork

Nice, quite calm. Teaches critical thinking and problem solving in a simple and repetitive way suitable for little ones. No violence or mean stuff. The only down side is that the music is just terrible and drives mummy up the wall!

My sons favorite show

My toddler has loved this show since 6 months. He doesn’t watch tv much but this show catches his attention. I love the songs myself and would like to get a cd of them to play in car. I love that the show teaches team work and problem solving, even if some are silly like gluing a piano back together with a pbj sandwich lol. It’s a cute show and don’t mind watching with my son.

Repeat Kid Monster in my House

My son watches many shows, but this show is his favorite. He knows all the songs, and love every character. Academics is not really pushed in this show, but really important things like critical thinking, manners, friendship, and basic vehicle types was taught. My son is a fan, and even got his old cousins into it.

Cute for occasional viewing

My son likes to watch this once in a while but it isn’t a go-to show for him.

Great for young kids

My son has not been introduced to TV shows, he has only watched a couple of movies so far and is into cars and trucks. This show is great for breaking down a problem into smaller parts, coming up with out of the box solutions, failing and trying something else, and working as a team - with some humor sprinkled in. He loved it so far. Glad we found a go-to show.

Encouraging curiosity, and problem solving...

Started watching this with my little guy one short episode per day, or so, since after his second birthday... Now he cannot get enough learning, and asking "what if?" When he runs into a problem, he tries to solve. And, if he fails to solve the first time, he tries again, and again. Part the show, part him, and part external influences. We love that he does not give up easily, and is motivated to seek answers! Thank you McMullans!!!

Much Better than the Books

My kid is truck crazy and this show brings in so many fun characters that all have positive messages and songs to share. The duo solves problems around town in creative, resourceful ways. Light-hearted, educational, musical and overall one of the best shows on tv for young kids right now.