Parent reviews for The Super Hero Squad Show

So-so cartoon mixes action and lots of booger jokes.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 15-year-old Written byHendo H. U December 28, 2017

What’s with the bad reviews?

I’ll admit, it does get boring once kids are older but for younger ones it’s really good.

Adult Written byElizabeth W. May 26, 2017

Great for kids!!!

It's soo funny, I think it's just so cute! The kids love it!! the only few problems was, there was a little too much violence, And a little bit of kissing and hints about female characters. and also A little bit of them saying stupid, crud, butt, and booger. but, again the kids love it!

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byLyssas February 24, 2016

Superheros can do better

So my daughter decided to start watching superhero shows, and started with this one, which seemed more age-appropriate. I expected it to have a large destruction quotient (not an issue for either of us in this over-the-top context) but what I didn't expected to see was the following:
1. A kid responding to not being allowed to do something by walking around and kicking objects in frustration, yelling "Stupid!". Exactly how every parent wants their kid to react to disappointment, I'm sure...
2. A conversation between a male and female, where the female asks the male's opinion on her new costume and the male responds that "It looks matronly." Channeling Tim Gunn in this sexist context is not something that Tim Gunn himself would approve of, I'm sure. (Then my daughter wanted to know what matronly meant, and then she wanted to known why dressing mom-like is bad -- not a conversation I wanted to have).
3. Conversation with my daughter:
Me: "Do all superheros sound like 3 year olds?"
Her [very seriously]: "Only the bad guys!"

This is my first foray into "boy-only" movies and I'm a very taken aback (and certainly my daughter is back to her old shows). I don't see the satire here, merely old stereotypes (Powerpuff Girls is a satire, not this one). I hope my next choices would have heroes behave in a more mature manner.
Parent Written byAandJ February 10, 2016

It's not great, but not bad.

This isn't my favorite show, a lot of violence and many instances where innuendo and sarcasm go over the heads of children. However, they do absorb things and sometimes repeat things, so I try to watch this with my son (who is Pre-K).

I let my son watch this occasionally because the "bad stuff" isn't any worse than what I was exposed to in school many years ago and I'd like the change to see him react, and guide him a little in dealing with, the parts I don't approve of.

I like that the cartoon is well drawn compared to some of the "less pretty" modern types of art. I like that there is a lot of teamwork, powerful heroes shown as both female and male, lots of different types of strength, etc. I like that my son enjoys it and will talk to me about how he would have handled a bad guy, or what superpower he wants, or what different characters could/should do.

This isn't my favorite show, but it's not all bad.
Parent of a 4-year-old Written byMama Jenks July 17, 2013

Very Disappointed

I had given up and allowed my son to watch this show, for various reasons I won't be getting into now. But today, an episode a villain taunted the Hulk by telling him he needs to be in the 'Special' Super Hero Squad. That comment was uncalled for and I will be severely limiting my son's watching of this show. The sexual innuendos are bad enough; my son will not be picking up the habit of picking on people with special needs.

Adult Written bybrc123 March 24, 2012

Curse word in "The Forest Green" episode

Watching an episode titled "The Forest Green", and one of characters used the word "D***". It was towards the middle of the show, and one of the characters was shrunken, and buzzing in the ear of the female superhero character, when she exclaimed "D*** flys!". My daughter pointed this out, and later I rewound the episode to confirm.

Parent of a 3 and 8-year-old Written byjeffnem September 23, 2010

Comical satire for the younger set.

It's fun, the violence is brief and incidental to the story, much less prevalent than your standard Bugs Bunny cartoon, where the violence was the punchline.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written bySPACEHERO55 June 22, 2010

Perfect for kids showing an interest in superheroes.

Oh this is such a great show. I have been a long time fan of Marvel Superheroes and this is a great show for younger kids who have started to show an interest in superheroes.

All the classic Marvel heroes are here. The show is funny and cute. If you want to get your kids into the classic Superheroes that you grew up with then this is a great show to start them off with. I do wish Spider-Man was on the show.