All parent member reviews for The Tudors

Adult Written byAuroraEaden May 16, 2011

Adult Written byaeronwy April 9, 2008

love love love this show

OMG! I am completely obsessed with Henry VIII, and words can not describe how excited I was when I found out about this show. Yes, there's sex and violence, but cello, there's sex and violence irl too. (Remember people, this is just a television show, and kiddies, just because a character acts a certain way doesn't meant that you have to mimic that action.) I have heard complaints about the historical inaccuracies, and yeah, they kind of bother me too, but the show was made to be entertaining not factual. I feel that the show serves its purpose; it's a highly entertaining historical fiction television show. Plus, um yeah, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is gorgeous.
Adult Written by2010commonsensemom January 12, 2010

NOT for anyone under 18

Great series for adults, excellent cast(Jonathan Rhys Meyers absolutely shines) great writing--of course the real-life Tudors certainly provided a lot of material!--and a fascinating, enthralling take on the Henry VIII story. As far as messages and role models go, we all know Henry was hardly a role model. But the biggest concern is the sexual content, graphic at times (it's a Showtime series, after all). This is NOT for anyone under 18 their unless parents are either: a) VERY lenient--in which case it's surprising you're reading Common Sense reviews in the first place; or b) right there with the DVD remote, ready to skip some scenes entirely--and you'd have to watch it first to know when they're about to happen; some of the most shocking stuff just shows up when you least expect it. Having said that, this is a terrific series, but only suitable for adults.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski October 22, 2012

Great, great show, but not at all for kids

Yet again I have to disagree with the reviewers on this website, and for much the same reason. It seems that no matter how good a movie or show might be, if there is any level of reality in terms of the sex or violence it portrays, then this site gives it either a bad or average review. The Tudors, even though not historically accurate in every sense, is still a spectacular series about one of England's most controversial monarchs. The acting, costumes and soundtrack are all excellent, and I would highly recommend this show, no matter what this site says. I have watched it through three times now, and might yet watch it again, its that good. That being said, it is definitely not for kids of any age. There is a fair amount of sex and violence, and since it is a showtime version, some of it is explicit. That was, unfortunately the reality of the time, and I'm not sure how you can condemn something for being true to the period.
Adult Written byballetbabe March 9, 2010

Appropriate for 18+.

I am 19 years old and I find this hard to watch sometimes. It is very entertaining, costumes, scenery are great. The biggest concern to watch out for is the explicit sex scenes I find my self skipping, they are highly unnecessary for the story. Another issue is strong language. Examples are h*ll, s*it, the f-bomb on several occasions, and sexual curse words. Plus the story is inaccurate on many occasions. So parents my suggestion is if your children want to watch it for cultural or historical (school related) reasons, I would find a different program. With all the inappropriate content, it's not worth it.
Adult Written byBeLti April 9, 2008
Adult Written byoshungold April 9, 2008

Fascinating Silce of History

This is a riveting portrayl of the reign of Henry VIII. while being a bit racy at times, it is tame compared to some of the more popular shows gracing the tube today. It shows the real man and how he became the iconic figure that he is today.
Adult Written bymschenbu April 9, 2008

Excellent history depiction - most interesting - accurate.

During my education I took little interest in history. Now that I am mature I am engrossed with it. These programs make it come to life and I think would be a great assist to young people if the language and sex were not so crass. There are too many other words in our language to select than the ones included in this program. It's too bad they don't use them. It's a great piece of history.
Adult Written bytriadrr April 9, 2008

big guilty pleasure

Love this show! I was disappointed that the HBO show "Rome" was finished but then came "The Tudors" on Showtime!! Great for adults an absolute NO for kids.