All teen and kid member reviews for The Vampire Diaries

Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2011
Kid, 12 years old December 10, 2010

Best show ever! But some iffy stuff

I absolutley adore Vampire Diaries! I noticed the show at about the 5th episode of the 1st season. My mom knew that I was vampire obssesed so she let me watch it then decided it was inappropriate. Well, a year later, I have become more mature so I had started watching it online. I thought it was amazing! It does have some iffy content. Honestly the violence would be the worst. Of course the traditional stake in the heart. Some hearts are torn out by hand. But it is DEFINITLY not as nasty as that 2nd Indiana Jones movie( which is also amazing). The words are not to bad. I have only heard of 1 usage of the b-word (although i am probably not paying attention). No other bad ones really. The sexual content is not bad at all. Some dialogue, but nothing big. I mean, come on, what 10 year old hasn't seen a movie with at least a little bit of sexual content in it. This show is not to bad, the main one is episode 10- I think. But the worse thing would be the drinking and drugs and smoking. The youngest character, Jeremy, did and is doing drugs and is constantly smoking due to deppression- i think. All characters have done underage drinking in the show in almost every episode. Just make sure that the 21 age minimum for drinking is set with your teens/tweens. About the sexual content, say that it is immoral to have sex w/o being married. Also establish the consequences. Ex. unplanned pregnancy. I would recommend the book " Boys will put you on a Pedstal ( so they can look up your skirt)" for your girls. It expresses what is going on in a guys mind and all about that type of thing. I highly recommend it. I read it when my mom gave it to me when i was about 10, it was amazing. So this show is definitly not to bad. Just make sure that your kids know what not to do. A good message would be perserverence. A lot of teens in this show definitly shoe dedication and perserverence to what they believe in. So curl up on the couch and start watching this show with your kids at least 12 years of age! BYE! Everkat. - katherine
Teen, 14 years old Written byHWADOB May 7, 2011

This is not tame Twilight, folks.

I started watching this show when it came out, at the end of my Twilight loving phase. I don't remember much, but what I DO remember was because it was so disgusting the images have been burned in my mind (I was 11). The first episode was filled teens drinking (maybe high too, it went right over my if they were) and making out heavily, frolicking through a pitch black forest at night intoxicated, and a little violence if I do remember correctly. My mother agreed to just 1 more episode to decide her final opinion on whether I should watch it or not. Episode was much much cleaner. But of course, the last 30 seconds were basically disturbing adult video material. And that is why I've never watched the show again, even 2 years after.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn December 13, 2010
One of my favorite shows. Great storylines, great chemistry. I recommend it to everyone with a lick of maturity. (:
Kid, 11 years old December 19, 2009

Good!

I love it! It's good for tweens and teens. The only thing bad is the language and the violence. Besides that, great dramatic show!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynicole_camps September 13, 2015

Definitely not as bad as it sounds.

The Vampire Diaries is an amazing show. Reviews say it has a lot of sex in it, but it rarely appears at all. Yes theres kissing and cuddling, but sex, no. There are good guys and bad guys, like any other show. Yes, there are good role models, yes there is violence, but supernatural violence, not like bombs and guns. Drugs only at the beginning and swearing not at all. No consumerism at all either. Great measseges, there are quite a few. Quotes and inspirational things are said a lot " Never Give Up " things like that. I am not just saying this because I watch it, but because it is true. If you are a worried parent. Watch a few episodes with your child. GREAT SHOWWWW!
Teen, 14 years old Written bytruefact7 June 29, 2015

Not As Bad As Everyone Says It Is

I'm going to be 15 in about two weeks and I started watching few months ago and am now almost done with the whole series. I really don't think it's bad for anyone as long as they aren't completely immature. Sure Jeremy does do drugs at the beginning of the show, but his sister, Elena, is a very strong character and tries her hardest to help him. There may also be sex scenes and underage drinking, but as long as a child has the idea that these things are not okay and that this isn't actually something that happens in real high school life every moment it shouldn't be that bad for them. The only reason I believe they shouldn't be able to watch this is because they get queasy at the sight of blood. My younger sister,11, also watched this with me and I would just fast forward the parts that I really don't think that she needed to see. So I think that anyone age 12 or older should be able to watch this because (not to be rude or anything) they already know everything that is in this show from school, so if you want to to keep them shadowed from the things in shows and movies like this you should pull them out of school because they will hear and see everything in school anyway- even as young as 6th grade. Personally I think parents don't realize how fast kids really grow up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhpxoxo6 September 19, 2010
I love this show! Its addicting but i wouldnt reccommend it for people under 13.
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2011

Entertainment Purposes only.

I think since drinking,language,smoking,and violence is a problem for younger viewers it should only be teens 15 and over. I'm sure the creators didn't make it for an age less and the show is very much for adults also. The vampires in it are in their 20's which is very clear. I watch it with my mom every Thursday or Friday I can never remember. But anyway it is only for entertainment for those of your worried it has a bad message for teens. The biggest (problem) I suppose is language I would say so talk to your teens about that.Like I watch it with my mom it should be a family show for children under 15 and should be discussed over with a parent. A minor upset is the cheesy music in each episode CW always does and at the worst times as well! However overall I enjoy the show very much!
Teen, 13 years old Written byILuvVampires August 8, 2010

Romantic Vampires, Become Obsessed, In Love With the Characters, Best Vampire Show Ever

I honestly love this show!!! It's my favorite T.V. Show of all time!! I can't stop watching it!! I'm madly addicted to it, and I've become MADLY OBSESSED with vampires!!! I would say this show is way way way better than "Twilight"! It has more violence, but at the same time, it has plenty of romance!! I love it!! Once you watch the show, you become madly in love with the characters!! ESPECIALLY Damon and Stefan Salvatore!! They're are amazing vampire brothers!! You'll like them A LOT!!! Before I saw "The Vampire Diaries", I thought it would be pretty boring, because I wasn't into vampires at that time, but once I saw the first episode of Season 1, I became addicted to this show!! I am now in love with vampires!!! I haven't seen "True Blood", but I wouldn't recommend it to any young children, because it's A LOT of violence, sex, and nudity!! I would say "The Vampire Diaries" is better then any other vampire show, because at the same time it does have some mature stuff, but it is also appropriate, unlike "True Blood"! "The Vampire Diaries" RULES!!! :-D
Teen, 15 years old Written bytiajones19 June 25, 2014
Kid, 8 years old September 26, 2009

TEENS AND UP

I didn't really watch it, but my parents were and I sorta paid attention cause I was SOOO bored. I thought it was not too bad, but I don't wanna watch it anymore cause I don't like the A word.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBloody Gorgeous September 25, 2009

i Love This Show

I spent forever waiting for this show, ever since I knew it was to be. I had very high expectations.... The characters are great. Caroline is annoying and desperate, Bonnie is cool and psychic, Damon is deliciously evil, Stefan is... (for you twilight fans) a much lovelier version Edrward. Wait!! This series was out long before Twilight was even created! I bet lots of you didn't know that. So Edward Cullen is actually a sucky version of Stefan... Anyway, Elena is the former super-popular girl of the school, now more reserved since her parents died. The story is great, I regret not reading the books beforehand and now I simply must. It's very entertaining and cool and even scary. But everything has a downside. I don't like the whole ominous fog thing whenever Damon is around. It looks rather cheesy. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention how appropriate it is. There is some sexuality --kissing, shirtless girls-- and drugs (a continuously drunk and 'stoned' Jeremy) and violence --Damon biting into people and even killing them--
Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2010

This show is great

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! It's one of my favorite shows now and I'm starting to read the book. It's violent, of course, and Vicki and Jeremy smoke weed. A little bit of language, also. Heh, if you haven't had "the talk" with your parents then this would also be an issue. But I think its great for mature preteens and teens. TEAM DAMON!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThatsalicetoyou December 21, 2009

Great story line!! But not good for younger kids

I just love this show and the book.. hands down one of the best full on vampire stories ever!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byilovemoviesandtv February 10, 2016

Amazing, addictive, but for older teens.

TVD is one of my all-time favourite series. There is quite a bit of sex scenes, but nothing to crude, since it is often between girlfriends/boyfriends. It is a great series, but the supernatural world, though violent and dangerous, may appeal to younger teens who crave adventure. It can make the line between what is real and what isn't fade a little bit, encouraging kids to engage in risky behaviour and have an unrealistic point of view on life and death.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCcroy24 January 19, 2016

Amazing!!!

I think this show is amazing, if you 11-13 i suggest u should just skip no age appropriate parts. But otherwise tgis is amazing! Also try the books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byelliekh December 27, 2015

Great Show

This shows constantly keeps you on the edge of your seat and the show itself has won many awards. However the show does have sex, language, drugs, and a lot of violence. However most of these tone down once you finish the first season
Teen, 16 years old Written byJuvia December 26, 2015

Great Show

I started watching this show when I was around 13 (without my parent's permission because they read the reviews on Common Sense Media lol) and have continued watching it ever since. The official review seems to talk extensively about the violence, sex, and poor messages in TVD. The violence in the first few seasons is mainly limited to biting people and drinking their blood and it is relatively tame compared to more mature shows. This show does have lots of death, especially as the show progresses, although these deaths are mostly emotional and contribute to plot development and not gore. There is frequent alcohol consumption, and although many of the characters are over 21, they are portrayed in a high school environment. The sex scenes in TVD cannot really be addressed as such and would more appropriately be called make out sessions that are appropriate for most preteens. I am shocked that CSM gave TVD such poor ratings regarding positive messages and role models. Although at first it may seem like many of the characters are teenagers making poor choices, it quickly becomes clear that even the worst characters are filled with good and make immense sacrifices for their loved ones. This show portrays great relationships between friends that act as family as they grow closer together because of all of their struggles. The main character Elena is an especially strong role model who cares for her family and friends deeply, a great message for kids to receive. All of the relationships between characters in this show are complex and well developed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHolly_101 December 12, 2015

Great show!

The vampire diaries is truley an excellent show that provides a realistic side to vamprisim in a sense that the twilight saga never delivered. I started watching this show when it first appeared on Netflix when I was 11 years old and as a fan of the supernatural vampire I was straight away absorbed into the town of mystic falls! The show has a great storyline throughout all 7 series! I've been a fan of this show for quite a few years and I'm currently watching series 7 which is highly enjoyable! I think this show delivers a great look on vamprisim and supernatural characters such as werewolves and witches as well! I would say there is quite a few scenes of bloody violence however none of the scenes ever left me feeling disturbed or upset in anyway. There is also quite a lot of gore but very mild language. I wouldn't recommend watching this show if you're quite immature as it may offend you, although it's never been a problem for me. I think kids should be aware that it is a show aimed at teen so anyone under the age of 11 or so may find it a little to mature although the show is fantastic and I've been adicted for years now.