Parent reviews for The Wheel of Time

The Wheel of Time Poster Image

Horror rather than fantasy genre - gory and graphic and disturbing

Having read this series of fantasy books myself as a teenager I was excited to see them brought to life on the screen, but I couldn't even make it through the second episode because it was so gory, creepy and graphically violent. The actors were great and some of the scenery stunning; I really wanted to be able to stick with it but it was too grotesque. For reference, I devoured the entire Game of Thrones series (another one not for kids) but this show was more like a horror movie in its adaptation than the original fantasy genre of the books.

2 people found this helpful.

This show is not for kids

It has sexualized nudity (two women in the bath kissing. It shows breasts), and is sexist because it shows more nude women than men (which is one male butt).

Common sense

I think the kids have more common sense not to watch this series then adults. They get its inappropriate and not something that should be watched as a kid. Nothing like the book series. Why cant we just have decent family shows without the world infiltrating their views, sex and things on our kids. Come on people wake up, this is not okay!

Emphasis on "Adaptation"

I read most of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series as a teenager and read the Brandon Sanderson books as soon as they came out. The TV series definitely departs from the books and is disappointing enough in that respect. The gore is probably to be expected, but is also disappointing. To top it off, the series overtly, and somewhat graphically, sexualizes multiple relationships that weren't so in the books. I could recommend the books for a teenaged reader, but find the TV series disappointing and off-putting even as an adult. I expect that the later seasons will sexual relationships further and portray them more graphically, given the content of the books.

1 person found this helpful.

Nasty, not fun to watch, uncomfortable.

The show itself was not the best, but combine it with the amount of gross violence and horrible events, and it becomes worse. The gore is nothing you haven't seen before, but the context it's in makes it not the best experience. I enjoy gory movies most of the time, but this show is dreary. Truly a disappointment as a fan of the books. The nudity is frequent and moderate, with butts and breasts on display. Annoying to have to skip through. Not worth any ounce of my time, regret watching.

1 person found this helpful.

Cool fantasy adaptation

This was a very well done fantasy show. If you keep in mind the platform it was created for, you can expect some violence and gore. If you have a low tolerance for blood it may not be for you. However violence is not a main plotline of the show so it isn't heavily featured. The characters are interesting and play off each other very well. The world building is exquisite. The magic is unique. I assume many of these low reviews are due to the breadth of representation of different identities and the focus on female characters. Something not often seen in the fantasy genre. Now, not a show for young kids but late teens would enjoy this show. Anyone critiquing the accuracy of the adaptation should remember the absolute bricks these books are and how short Amazon forced this series to be. Enjoy it for what it is. I'll watch again for sure.

Great Show for older teens and adults.

The show on its own is excellent, the plot is a fun Dungeons and Dragons campaign style romp, the acting is excellent and its absolutely gorgeous. The monsters are fairly cheesy looking. It builds episode to episode and is finished too fast. If you have recently read the books that could be frustrating because they take a lot of liberties. Please dont expect a faithful adaptation. There is a good amount of violence but not as much or as dark as Game of Thrones and sexual content is much much tamer. Generally just kissing shown, two people talking in the bath not sexually, brief but obscured nudity. Sex is off screen. Some of the magical battles are quite distressing and in battle scenes you see things like people getting impaled on spears and such things that happen in battles. There is a scene where one character is being hurt to get another to use magic that could be distressing but if youve seen game of thrones its like the kids show version of the torture that happens in that. Granted GOT was very very graphic so dont take this to mean Wheel of Time is tame. It might be compared to the Witcher in level of violence but is much less dark in feel (and visually) but I only saw the first six episodes of Witcher. The women characters are strong and powerful which is nice to see in a show. This show is definitely not for young kids, older teens should be fine depending on what theyre used to watching. I might be a little conservative as my kids are younger and I was really surprised most of their friends have seen the marvel movies in first grade. My 7 year old has just started handling darker intense moments in PG cartoons well. For me Wheel of Time would solidly be 16 and up. Game of Thrones 18 and up and Stranger Things 14 and up (maybe a bit higher this last season with how people die being so graphic) to give you a feel for how I rate things. I think some of the more severe reviews are mainly upset about a kiss between to women and are making the show sound worse like somehow a kiss between two women is somehow more explicit then a kiss between a man and a woman. Its not a super racy show. It does contain significant violence.
Horrible misrepresentation of the books, the books where amazing. This only has the same outline as the book, all of the structure for the plot though is completely different.

Great show.

The show is overall great. The story of the show is also good but the only thing that annoys me is they consumed the whole book in just eight episodes but the show is great and I really like it.

Sick and Violent

Mutilation, direct violence and characters enjoying the violence. Just sick.