Parent reviews for Turn: Washington's Spies

Historical series doesn't downplay war's graphic realities.

Parent of a 11, 13, and 17-year-old Written byAaron M. June 23, 2014

"Iffy" for young people.

While very interesting historically, the blatant sex bars it from family viewing. I was disappointed that a show purportedly about America's first spy ring focuses on the sex lives of those involved rather than the "meat n taters" of the revolutionary war.

Adult Written byJpmills1 December 7, 2019

Powerful, inspiring, compelling

It is true, there are sex scenes in this show and some of the violence is disturbing, in particular a torture seen in the last season. However, the story overall is filled with moral conflicts and inspiring people...no to mention it is based on truth. I would show this to my kid over some of the other junk out there but I do not recommend it for a young child. I'm not sure why other reviews mention a lot of nudity and sex. The first few episodes have some more vulgar things than the rest of the show but you can easily fast forward over it.

Adult Written byEmily S. August 6, 2016

Good if your careful to avoid the sex scenes

We have watched all the current episodes. I would agree that there is way too much sex in the first season though as the seasons go it lessens and they rely more on the plot to keep us interested. My wife and I watched it with our 16 year old and any time a sex scene even hinted we skipped forward. The violence at times is graphic but mostly too much sex. Those that decide to watch and want to skip the sex should know that there is an episode, I think in season one, where the main character is gaining British intelligence through joining in on an officer sex party. Skip the whole party, there isn't that much of consequence involved. As I said before, the later seasons begin to rely much more on the fascinating characters and plot. I'd give it 5 stars if they would have left out the stupid sex scenes. It could lead to good discussions on loyalty to country and if and when lying is ok and how honor isn't necessarily dependent on the side you fight for and maybe others...

Adult Written bytennmom78 April 2, 2015

Very graphic and blatant sex scenes.

I completely agree with the other parent reviews. We only watched to the second episode and were shocked by the nudity and blatant sex scene. Not for kids of any age. Also very very violent. Common sense review is way off on this one. The adults in my house won't be watching it either.

Parent of a 10, 11, and 11-year-old Written by1578241 April 15, 2014

Shocked

After watching the pilot and reading review here, I am less confident with common sense media with their research. The second episode had sex with a actor and a general that left nothing to you imagination. It also showed the top part of a females butt.

Adult Written byConssumerRay April 23, 2020

Turn Turns In Compelling History Storytelling

Turn : Washington Spies is a compelling and well written, although slow moving story of the revolution. What's important here is not the pace, but the history that families learn from this contemporary re-telling of the American Revolution and it's told in fine form. The stories are well thought out, but told from an adults perspective of the war which means it's not for the younger set. For the mid-teenage set, but certainly educational

Adult Written byFahad G. February 28, 2017