All parent member reviews for What Not to Wear

Adult Written bycritiquethis February 10, 2010

This show is just down right degrading to the people in need of fashion advice. The hosts use words like frightful, dreadful, ugly, makes me want to vomit, when referring to the women they have coming on the show. Does it make them feel good about themselves to bash someone else because he or she isn't like them! The show is ridiculous, thumbs down.
Adult Written byCalimom April 9, 2008

Bad social message

I find this show to be very mean-spirited. I don't find any entertainment value in a show that makes such harsh value judgements. I feel so sorry for each person who is ambushed and told they have ugly clothes. How personal! Then they are "taught" how to buy ultra-expensive clothes in New York. How many of these victims are ever going to shop like this again? How reaistic is this? Do we really want to teach our daughters to buy $200 trendy jeans that were made in some third-world sweatshop? Does anyone really think these people will continue to wear these unfamiliar clothes? I'd have to wonder about my friends if they did something this cruel to me. Teach your kids about budgeting and the role of clothes instead. Don't let them fall for this awful hype. Nobody needs this.
Adult Written byMcKathlin August 31, 2012

Talk about respect and budget sense

This show is fun to watch for the transformations from funny-looking to fantastic. I enjoy and fully endorse the message that people of all body types can look good when they dress with self-respect and a bit of design sense. What bothers me is that this show promotes the idea that if you want to look good, you have to spend lots of money. Only once have I seen anyone on this show enter a secondhand clothing store. (In that case it wasn't for budget reasons, but for going-green reasons, which is also a positive message.) The put-downs in the show make parental guidance important. If you watch this with your kids, talk with them about whether the way Stacy and Clinton talk to the subjects is appropriate. Encourage kids to look for people's positive qualities of talents and character, and not to judge them negatively for how they dress. Despite the consumerism and the mean words, I call this show a net positive because teen and tween girls sorely need the "beautiful in any body" message that What Not to Wear conveys.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byLatigo May 5, 2011

Lousy Hair

I watched it for several shows when it first came out. Loved the subject and the hosts. However, became severely frustrated with the hair stylists. I kept waiting for him to do anything other this a butch, dikey, page. Every person with the same do. Boring. I felt like I was watching cadets coming out of the barber with the same scalped clip job. He has ZERO creativity. I am beyond amazed at his lack of talent and I am perplexed why such a great show would keep him with the severe inept talent he shows. I have watched other shows on hair, such as the one with Jacquelyn Smith from Charlie's Angels, where stylists are strongly challenged to reflect the person's facial features and other things and they do this very well. The astonishing thing is your show suggests you're providing new and upcoming things in each area of a persons anatomy to bring about a successful look! The hairstyle needs to be removed from your directions in our lives until you can provide someone who actually know what they are doing before he tries to insinuate he can tell us. The world would be bizarre and boring with everyone having a page with a boring ugly dike look.
Adult Written bynellie_pearce April 12, 2010

I -hate- this show. They give the same tips to EVERY person. They do NOT realize that everyone has their own style. They make these people feel bad about the clothes that THEY enjoy and feel comfortable in, and they both have HORRIBLE taste themselves! Hate it, hate it, hate it!
Adult Written bycheburashka December 26, 2009

I watch your show every Saturday, and more I watch it, more it makes me sick, it's only for the people who know nothing about fashion, I don't know how you can call yourselves fashion experts.
Adult Written byaltec September 29, 2009

Love the show!!
Adult Written byov3rlydramatic August 21, 2009

For responsible level-headed adults only.

I have noticed that one of the commercials for "What Not To Wear" that occurs at some point while the show is going on just before going to other commercials features two naked women bare breasted except for their hands cuping the nipples. For this reason, I would not let my children watch this show. They get plenty of negative images for other sources. You would think TLC would be safe. The show-hosts, Stacey and Clinton, use foul language throughout the episodes. They also ridicule and make fun of people because of the way they look. I have noticed that the makeup artist often refers certain brand-specific products such as Crest White Strips to the person recieving the makeover. Many times the unkowing makeover-ees are found drinking in a bar. Sometimes it is at a bar where they show off their new look to their friends. As an adult, the show is not that bad. I would not allow my children to watch it.
Adult Written byrfields09 July 28, 2009

I Don't care for this show, who can tell you what you should or should not wear its okay to buy something here and there but im not spending $300 on an outfit and another 100 on shoes, what gives them the right to tell you what you can and cannont wear people have better things to do and if people had the time any money to get all dressed up and spend hours on makeup then they would, its chaging everything you like to be to meet someone elses standards
Adult Written bymoviemadness December 28, 2008

A Great Show

What Not To Wear is full of great fashion advice and healthy self-esteem boosts. The women (and, occasionally, men) featured are all in need of drastic fashion help. Most have one of two problems: dressing like they're thirteen in clothes two sizes too small, or dressing like they're fifty in clothes two sizes too big. Each time, Stacy and Clinton, with help from hirstylist Nick and makeup artist Carmindy, revitalize the participant without sacrificing their personality and style. Except for a few sexy outfits and some contestant's lifestyles there is no objectionable material. The show really won't appeal to kids under ten.
Adult Written byabbyj April 9, 2008

Adult Written byaddie_123 April 9, 2008

I love this show,it's great, and ok for kdis too!
Adult Written bythadeus April 9, 2008

Nice show, but lacks class

If I hear Tracy say "oh my god" one more time I think I'll vomit. You have a broad audience, and an okay show, how about stiving for excellence. Thank you
Adult Written byScronydog April 9, 2008

Must Read Book for everyone

there should be more episodes and u should get people from makenzie also