All teen and kid member reviews for What Not to Wear

Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 January 1, 2010

13+

There is occasionally a suggestive image of a topless woman holding her hands over her breasts, and then moving her hands off of them and butterflies flying out in the opening sequence.
Kid, 9 years old July 1, 2010
Look,everyone. 1.they do NOT tell everyone the same thing 2. they DO say that you can wear something good and still keep your style. STOP HATING.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvictoria19 June 26, 2013

Why Such Harsh Reviews?

So, I noticed a lot of these reviews said this show is "mean" "degrading" and that this show is telling people to spend too much money on clothing. Truthfully I think this shows great. Everyone's saying that these people have no right to tell people what they should wear, but no one is noticing the fact that the people on the show have low self esteem and talk about how beautiful and amazing they feel afterwards. It's not "mean" haven't you ever heard of constructive criticism? The people on this show could use a little fashion advice, these people either totally hide themselves with their clothes and feel self conscious, or they dress like tramps. Plus it was their choice to be there. And if you had $5,000 to spend exclusively on clothing why not buy some nice designer things? The point is to buy nice things with the money they're giving you. Oh and just to be clear most designer things aren't made in third world countries, they're made in places like Italy (Gucci), France (Louis Vuitton), and the USA (Coach), just to name a few.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycarpeep November 12, 2011

Good show often misinterpreted

Trust me and don't listen to every one who says this show is all about conformity, they are most likely missing the point Stacey and Clinton are trying to get across. The point of the show is to inform that dressing makes a huge impact on how we are all perceived and treated and that whether we agree with it or not it still exists in the world, therefore, maintaining a polished image is important in moving on in the world and feeling confident (most of the people with crazy styles who claim to be confident are just putting up a wall and are usually very unsure of themselves) for this reason I believe the show actually has a really important message and there isn't much that is inappropriate about the show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOwlCityFan October 31, 2011

Great show, mild drawbacks

Very mild language...an occasional 'd***' word or 's***' word. Some of the language is bleeped out. Mild innuendo, when making fashion references "butt or 'the girls". Stacy and Clinton can be sarcastic, but the point of the show is to take away the wrong clothes and sending a wrong message to make clothes work for that person, but look stylish and send off the *right* message. I think Stacy and Clinton are genuine about the person's transformation, and they are honest about a person's bad wardrobe. They want the person to see just how bad of a message it's giving out to the world. S & C don't approve of women dressing like trashy sluts, which I totally agree with! They want you to look like 'you' but more polished and gives off a "I'm confident" feel. The person undergoing the makeover always looks very happy and confident with their new look, and they always look amazing! Their hair and makeup artists are great. Carmindy (their makeup artist) is especially supportive, always customizing the person's makeup to their wants and needs. The overall gist of the show is a bit mature which is why I said 14 and up, but I love this show. It gives me lots of fashion ideas!
Kid, 9 years old October 11, 2012

LUV IT

I luv this show! Stacy London and Clinton Kelly are very nice don't be hatein
Teen, 14 years old Written bycharlotte101 October 10, 2012

possitive message

lots of people think this show is mean to the people who are on it. but its not like they look for the person wearing the ugly clothes they help women to redeem themselves. all of the men and women they help have issues that made them dress like that. and this show tries to start helping them! i think lots of girls and women should watch this show.
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2010

BEST

LOve it BEST SHOW IN THE HISTORY OF BEST SHOWS I WATCH IT WHENEVER IT COMES ON
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 March 28, 2010

All about conformity... that's sad to me.

I enjoy watching this show, but i feel bad. This show is all about conforming and not having your VERY OWN unique sense of style. There was once a 22 year old who dresses in sort of a rebellious, but cute style (sort of like Hayley Williams of Paramore.). She had cute hair, too. But, all of her clothes they said no to except one gray pencil skirt. The girl said she likes having her own style and standing out, but would they accept that? No. They said she needed to look professional for job interviews, but HEY! It's not like she'd wear her casual rocker street clothes! It is entertaining, but I feel bad for these people who have had their personal style ripped out of them to make them conform. :(
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2012

Fashion people, watch now!!!!

I am a fan of fashion, so if you are a fashion loving kid, you might want to watch this. They do say some bad words, say stuff like 'Stripper Heels', but I really do like it. Why? In the end, it gives some insecure women, into amazing, self confident, and beautiful self. Stacy and Clinton take the inner beauty, to the outside. I think it is very heart felt.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookcupcake April 1, 2012

COMMON SENSE another over protective review

OMG! common sense come on. waaaaay over protective. I watched this show when i was 7 my 8 year old sis watches it with no problem I find this show entertaining and love this show. I would never cus and it goes over little kid's head.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoutaindewgirl January 14, 2012

Pointless

Honestly, the whole plot is really stupid. In fact, it's so retarded that's why I like to watch it :) The people they put on the show don't have THAT bad styles, they are just usually creepy. Stace and Clint are always dissing the people that the contestents get their clothes from. As for what to watch for, nothing really. They talk about the word sexy alot. Over all, it is ok.
Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2012

It's your decision

there are a few bad words. the show is really good. they show people that they don't need to hide behind clothes and that the right clothes can make you feel and look more confident and beautiful. a lot of people say it's rude and makes you change, but what their not noticing is that in the end everyone is really happy, that's all that matters. you have to know if your child can handle watching this and if they know not to repeat what people say. it really all depends on whether or not you think your child can watch this. i suggest you watch it with them if they do watch it.
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2011

h8rs

look dont make me go. this is my fave show. me and my mom love it so stop hating and watch this awesome program!
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2011

This show is awesome and positive, but sometimes inappropriate

Alright, Commonsense, I'm about to blow my top! This show is not iffy for people ages 11 to 14! I started watching this show when I was eight years old, and I was totally ready for it. This show has many positive messages. 1. To show that people in America have REALLY bad taste XD 2. That if you know that basic rules, you can really be one of the best fashionista's in the world! (OK, that's a little bit overboard, but I'm serious, you can have really good fashion sense!) 3. Stacey London and Clinton Kelly are hilarious! Yes, they refer to boobs as "the girls"l, but I really didn't think everyone would freak out about that. Occasionally, they say the a word or the d word, but only referring to the butt, or saying something really funny with the d word. That's they only time they really use cuss words, when they're making a joke. This show is great, and has really awesome tips, so do yourself a favor and watch it!
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2011

...........

inspiring fashion advise. stacy and clinton can give people CONFIDENCE. TLC did a great job with this adult show
Teen, 14 years old Written byLeggoMyEggo July 14, 2011

Good Show....If You Agree With Stacey & Clinton's Repetetive Style

Sometimes I feel like they genuinely boost the confidence of some of the people on the show, even for those people who don't think beauty is important. Other times though I get incredibly frustrated just watching it. It feels like they are always going for the same New York chic style for every person, even when the person already has a legitimate style. I remember the first time I got very annoyed with the hosts was when they began to bash this one woman because of her lolita dress. Lolita fashion, though not one I follow personally, is still a legitimate fashion style and just because it's not what they like doesn't means it's trash. When the women tried to defend herself by explaining it as a very popular trend in Japan the hosts gave aghast expressions and shot back with "Yeah, in Japan! Not here.". I remember watching the girl cry as they demanded the dress get tossed out, apparently those dresses don't come cheap either. The only part of this show I've consistently enjoyed has been the makeover part, as the receivers are usually happy with it. I just wish the hosts would be willing to have more well...variety. It feels like they're constantly converting the majority of the tough/cool/tomboy-esque women into pretty-in-pinks. Isn't the point to adjust to /their/ interests and styles to find something that works well for their body AND says something about them? I watch this and see many a person cry over the criticism of the hosts who want them to conform to their standards. For every live they improve it seems like another is being bashed. If I was ever given an invitation to go on this show I would be /very/ insulted. Sometimes I wonder how many people turn them down when offered to go on it.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2011

I like it!!!!!

When i first saw What Not to Wear i was like, "This is so boring!" but now, i like it! But i do have to be in a certain mood to watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMeow314159 May 31, 2010

Pretty good, but not sure about the message

I always watch this show and I think it is very appropriate. My only concerns are the language and the consumerism. Also they frequently refer to "the girls" which at first I thought were the person's daughters, but I was way off. Sometimes the person dresses too racy, but they try to help them dress more appropriate. Also I don't really think it gives the best message because they are always telling the people how absolutely hideous their clothes are, and they are constantly making jokes. Then at the end, when they are wearing makeup and got their hair done, they say something like, "You look GORGEOUS!" I know that gets their confidence up, but I get kind of suspicious when they say that to every single person on the show. Is that what they really think or are they just saying that to wrap up the show?
Teen, 13 years old Written byink January 22, 2010