Kid reviews for Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist

Fun, sensitive musical comedy has lots of heart.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMapleSyrup95 January 12, 2021

I don't know why it's rated 12+!

This show's first episode is completely fine in my opinion for both season 1 and 2. HOWEVER the beginning of the second episode (second season) has a HIGH mention of sexual content just in the first few minutes. I had to turn off this show and turn on a Disney movie (I felt so dirty and weird after watching 2 minutes) because of how much innuendo and references there were. I will admit, I LOVE this show and once they get it on a filtering service, I will continue to watch without issue. There are good messages, role models , etc. but WAY too much sexual content for even the first season to be rated 13+ There are little to no swears. But****SPOILER ALERT HERE***** I am very disappointed because I always thought Max, Zoey's new boyfriend, was more wholesome and sweet than the S2 Ep. 2 implies ): (END OF SPOILER) I for sure would recommend but I am very upset about how many references were in it.

Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2020

Really wholesome show

First of all, this show is incredible and it should pretty much be rated PG. The show is really cute and has some really catchy songs in it as well.

Positive messages: The show really shows what it is like to deal with grief, loss, and other hard topics in a unique way.

Role models: There are some really great characters in this show as well as great female leads. We have Mo, Zoey, Maggie, and Joan, and that’s to just name a few!

Violence: One of the characters dad committed suicide, but the character only mentions it briefly and nothing is ever shown.

Sex: There are a few suggestive lyrics/dances as well as a few kisses, and a fully clothed make-out scene, but nothing too off color.

Language: Most of the swear words are bleeped out with an over-dramatic guitar riff in a humorous context. If you are watching this show, you definitely already know what those words are { F*ck and Sh*t}. I believe that there is only sh*t and one b*tch that isn’t bleeped out.

Consumerism: There are a few products shown {such as Apple} but who really cares about this anyway?

Substances: characters have cocktails at a club and drink champagne at a party. {Kids know what alcohol is, calm down} Tobin speaks of drug-dealing, but nothing else.

Teen, 13 years old Written byateenreviewsmovies July 16, 2020

Deeper Than Most Think

This show is really good, but the show revolves around a sensitive subject that may be a bit difficult to talk about if you're not a teenager. It's also slightly risque towards the end of the season (Character kiss, make out fully clothed), but overall it's one of my favorites! It has so much heart, and the characters are very relatable and like-able. Definitely an Emmy contender!

Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2020

Heartfelt connections.

Some of the songs and meanings make you cry- in a good way. You immediately get drawn in, and its just amazing.

Written byAnonymous January 12, 2021

Season 1 was amazing, Season 2... dirty

I loved the first season and couldn’t wait for the next! But as the 2nd episode of season 2 came out today, we had to fast-forward scenes of Max and Zoey doing... stuff.

Kid, 12 years old September 15, 2020

Best. Show. EVER.

Love this so much that I had to rewrite my review because there were too many capital letters in it. A beautiful musical/comedy/drama that is incredibly well written/choreographed. I think my friends are getting a little sick of me talking about it. Some content, some swearing (although if you’re even THINKING about watching a TV-14 show, you shouldn’t be too concerned about that), but otherwise not really that much stuff. A little deeper than it looks, but still fun. P.S. #teammax forever. UPDATE: Season 2 is four episodes out, and S2E2 has more dirty content then the entire first episode, but honestly, they don’t really show anything, plus there is a very funny scene near the end. After that, the other episodes are pretty clean, but I will update again once I finish season 2. So far, season 2 definitely isn’t as good as season 1, but it’s still my favorite show.

Kid, 10 years old May 30, 2020

My new fav show!!

I love this show. I cried when Max sang I gonna be(500 miles) to Zoey.
In episode 12 Zoey and Max kiss a lot but being the girl I am I loved it .
I will be so sad if they do not have another series .#teamzomaxforever.zoey and max fenly have SEX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheKidNextStore July 27, 2021

One of the Better ones on Peacock

Watch it kids 12 and up really good summer show

Teen, 14 years old Written byZoeysplaylistfa... June 15, 2021

Season 1 is pretty much PG but season 2 is more TV-14

This is my all-time FAVE SHOW EVER! There are so many great motifs, some are the main characters journey of grief and connection with her family and the other characters in the show, love, acceptance, Mental Health, LGBTQIA+ representation, and racial equality. One of the things that makes this show so unique is its musical element. The main character hears people's thoughts and feelings through popular songs and it just makes the show so interesting to watch. The musical numbers never miss and are so well choreographed and planned out. As for ratings, the first season is pretty much TV-PG, there are two make out scenes, one that lasted for about seven seconds and the other a bit longer but with two comedic musical numbers in between but no sexual content. It’s really just brief language that puts it into the tv-14 category. As for season two, language gets a little more mature and there is one mild comedic sex scene in episode two with the main character and her best friend, however there is no nudity but I suggest skipping this scene with viewers under 13 because they do strip their first layer of clothing, but nothing else is shown. Overall it’s just episode two with the sexual stuff, and the only other thing that could be un-suitable for younger viewers would be the fact that the main character does drugs in the fifth episode of S2 however the message of that episode is so great because it talks about how humans are meant to care. In conclusion, this show is undeniably amazing the characters are unique and well written, the amount of love and care the characters have for each other, especially Zoey and Max is incredibly heart warming, the acting is phenomenal and probably the best tv show I’ve ever watched. GO WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW ON PEACOCK!

Teen, 16 years old Written bySparkle2005 April 12, 2021

ONLY SEASON 1

THIS REVIEW IS ONLY OF SEASON 1
I love it! I think it brought up great discussions and made me become aware of how hard it is for some people that are trying to figure out their gender identity.

Teen, 16 years old Written byNotMyRealName375 April 3, 2021

Season Two ruined the whole thing

I loved the first season of this show! There was little cussing and the songs were really cool. I loved all the characters and the ships and was so, so excited for season two to come out.

But then it came out and was HORRIBLE. In just the second episode, there was a sex scene that we had to skip (even worse, it seemed to last forever!) And, in the episodes following, Zoey does drugs and they bring in a third love interest.

THREE LOVE INTERESTS.

Seems a little bit much. I didn't really watch the rest of the show after the second episode and my knowledge of those episodes is limited.

Anyway, I loved the first season and would totally recommend watching that, just do not watch the second season. In my opinion, season one should have just been left as it was. Season two just ruined everything.

Teen, 13 years old Written byzindi March 20, 2021

My thoughts about the first season

I've only seen the first season so I'll just be telling about that!

There is no sex, just a couple kisses.

There is a couple bar scenes but they are just hanging out so nothing inappropriate is going on there, and they have drinks in front of them, are there are scenes where some characters are drinking a glass of wine at home while watching tv, or hanging out with family, or at an engagement party. There was never a drunk scene.

Zoey is a great female main character who has a powerful female boss, and Zoey is a coder.

Only a few mild swear words, f*ck is bleeped by a guitar riff. That's all.

There is talk in one episode where a characters dad kills himself, but just in one episode and nothing is ever shown.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydabest March 1, 2021

It's a good show

I like the show. It is a awesome show. I had to skip over a scene in a season 2. But after that everything in the show is awesome. The songs are great. I recommend for 13 years and over because it has sexual humor and the main character does drugs in season 2. Also there is a lot of drinking. The overall message about grief is also great. I can not wait for another season!!

Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2021

Appropriate for mature tweens

I really like this show. It started off very fun and had catchy music. It also had some sad parts about Zoey's dad passing. The second season is kind of iffy though because it is gradually getting more mature. I definitely recommend it for teens and up and and tweens that are very mature.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySaboratory January 2, 2021

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

It’s great but younger kids will have a hard time understanding the topics. Great cast! Warning, you will cry.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDogcat December 22, 2020

The Voice and amp; Superstore has a baby

Really? Don’t watch this trash! I love The Voice and amp; I don’t like Superstore. Really though. I think NBC is running out of ideas. NBC should bring back Songland for a 3rd season and amp; stop this trash!

Teen, 16 years old Written byihatemath December 16, 2020

I LOVE THIS SHOW

i love this show so much. i used to sit in my english class and watch it and ignore everything else. very good 10/10.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAnessa Cline November 6, 2020

yes watch it

If you have younger kids who say whatever I would suggest not watching it with them. There is not a lot of swearing only 2-4 words mostly bleeped in each episode. I am 13 and I think that the 9 yearolds are the youngest that should watch this. This show has lots of music and romance and I really liked it. It tells people to go after their goals. there is some sexual stuff but no naked people. There is kissing and a song that have sexuall suggestions. There is some drinking but not a lot.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLizzk July 9, 2020

Cute show, slightly mature content

I would be careful when watching it with kids, the content isn't quite as innocent as a lot of reviews make it out to be. They frequently go to clubs/out drinking and dancing. There is one particularly suggestive dance number that you may want to be aware of, and there is a fair amount of sex jokes and inappropriate jokes in general. At the beginning of every episode there is a bleeped out swear word, it's usually very clear what they're saying in the context of the scene if you're older, but it probably just goes right over younger kid's heads.

All that considered, this is a cute show that my whole family really enjoys. Not only is it fun and has awesome musical numbers, it deals with heavier topics like loss and family relationships. It also has really good representation with characters who are poc, deaf, and lgbt. It's cool because so many shows these days don't accurately represent the world we live in and I think this did a really good job of it. It also shows women in a really empowering way. It brings light to how men so often dominate women in the workforce while women and other oppressed groups are not always so lucky.

All in all, I really like this show and so does my whole family. It's fun, sad, awesome, and everything in between. This show deals with real world issues and situations in a really cool way.

Kid, 9 years old May 13, 2020

very good show!

I think that Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is an amazing show. It has a lot of positive messages and role models such as Mo, a non-binary person. There is a lot of material that i think some parents wouldn't want their kids to see, so I would say it is 12+ (I know I am 9, but I think a lot of kids my age wouldn't want to watch it although I am comfortable with it). There is no swearing, except at the beginning of every episode that is mostly censored. Overall, an amazing show if parents are okay with the kissing and lovey-dovey stuff.