All parent member reviews for BrainPop

Adult Written byGoldenElephant February 10, 2014

LEARNING

Looks old, content is fresh

I honestly logged on looking for an animation to explain some of the presidents to my kid, but the content was very hard to find. Once I did, most of it was unavailable since I don't have a subscription, which is frustrating. I think if there's going to be a subscription fee for a service it should at least be easy to find the content you're looking for.
Adult Written byMcLennon August 16, 2015

really good

It's a really educational site, my school uses it a lot. Just monitor your kids if they're young, because they have movies about sex and menstruation.
Parent Written bysshally July 23, 2015

Age 8 but with Caution

We typically use Brain Pop jr, but my child has exhausted all the videos...we home school and find this a good supplement. My son enjoys Brain Pop with Tim and Moby as it has much "meatier" subjects and new content as compared to Brain Pop Jr. The program is automatically included with our homeschool program and releases regular Brain Pop for grade 3. Although I think my son is ready for most of the content, some was surprising. For example, under health and science there is a topic on menstral cycles, and another on drugs which mentions things like "crack or cocaine". I'm not ready for that, and I certainly don't want my child learning about certain details too early. Originally I felt this was a safe app he could watch independently when he wanted, but now I monitor each selection very closely. I wish the app had an option to "deselect" or "hide" certain topics so we could release for view when appropriate. Other than this issue, I think it's an amazing program.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byCalla1978 July 10, 2014

Incorrect information.

I watched one of the brain pop videos to see what it was teaching my daughter. It said that creationism can't be taught in schools because of a separation of church and state. If you research this, the term 'separation of church and state' was never actually used, but coined later. The verbiage it was based on is one of the most widely misunderstood concepts, but I find it sad that an app that touts itself as an educational tool wouldn't know any better, passing along misinformation. I am no longer using this app, since I don't want my daughter learning incorrect information.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bybronster February 11, 2014

LEARNING

Just be careful when you subscribe

While I think that this is a great educational tool, I would like to warn parents that this website has several portals which can be confusing when you log on. We had a lot of trouble logging in until we found out that we were somehow trying to log in to the educator site vs. the student site. Not sure how this happened, but it was frustrating. BrainPop is also not very accommodating. We had not used the site for 3 months because I did not know that my daughter was having trouble logging in. They were not willing to give us any additional time on our subscription...and I am sure that they could see on their end that we had not been on the site. Anyway, all in all, it is a good website. Just wanted to make sure that others did not have the same trouble that we did.
Parent of a 2, 8, and 10 year old Written byhomeofplay October 15, 2013

Fun and educational

My daughters love Brainpop. They love Tim and Moby and the jokes at the end of each video. My older girls in fifth grade and third grade use this in school.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysinglemomofdom March 3, 2013

My 9 year old son loves brain pop

We discovered Brain Pop only in the last month. My 9 year old will watch videos for Language arts,math,science,history, and PE. He loves it and it makes even those most boring language fun. He only watches videos when scheduled for a certain area he is working on through virtual/homeschooling. It helps him learn, but he watches it more for the fun characters.
Educator Written byMsGage January 15, 2013

Great Website!

I love BrainPOP! It is fun and interactive and very informative, even for high schoolers. I highly recommend it!