Parent reviews for BrainPOP

BrainPOP icon

If you use the tablet app, you have no way to track what your child is learning.

As much as I enjoy BrainPop's content, I was extremely disappointed to learn that you cannot track what your child is watching if they use an app. However, if your child watches using a computer, the list of videos they watch will be reflected in the Timeline. Personally, I would like to have a list of watched videos regardless because I home teach and want records that prove my child is learning under my care. I'm not sure how common it is for home-school parents to be audited (? not sure if that's the right word), but, being the safe-not-sorry kind of gal that I am, I would have certainly preferred to have records of our progress. I doubt I'll be using this app/site any more, because I've been able to find plenty of entertaining, educational videos on YouTube for free. At least there, I'm able pull up our viewing history.

Nope

Not a great resource for kids to be educated. They are one sided on issues and the things they act are facts are completely false information. Back years ago we paid for their app but now they are pushing their beliefs instead of being a neutral for kids. Unprofessional

Best video collection as chosen by both parents and kids in our family

We watch and discuss 1-2 movies every day. It helps with kids' motivation and actual content.

Very great!!!

BrainPOP is very great overall. It has lots of great videos for kids to watch. There are also activities after the videos like the quiz and related reading. I like how there is also BrainPOP Espanol, which lets Spanish kids and people who want to learn Spanish also learn things. I just wish it would post new videos more quickly.

Boring etc.

Besides it being boring and every teacher loving it, you can clearly see their point of view in politics. Would not recommend, there are other and better ways to teach and better topics they don’t really cover.

BrainPop is Great!

BrainPop is a great app that kids love. It has interactive, educational videos and games on a variety of subjects such as history, math, health, and English. The topics fit a large range of students from elementary through even high school. Some of the material is free, but some requires a paid subscription. BrainPop encourages higher level thinking with their Make-A-Map feature. This gives the students a way to organize their thoughts and notes on the subject they are learning into a flow chart that can incorporate videos, images, and key words.

BrainPOP for kids

BrainPOP is an instructional app that provides students an engaging way to learn content specific topics covered in the classroom that are aligned with state standards. It has a fun robot that helps a little boy or girl create and solve problems that show students various ways of completing a task. Also, BrainPOP addresses students who learn in a visual and auditory setting. Along with BrainPOP's pros, there are some cons; the interaction of students is very limited, it does not seem to allow student centered activities where children can collaborate and work with their peers in a group setting, and it is not geared towards students who learn in a kinesthetic setting. However, BrainPOP does a offer a level of differentiation; the games and videos go in depth about the content chosen, creates active participation within whole group, which allows the teacher and students the ability to work together to learn and engage in a content specific topic. At the end of each content game or video, students receive positive and meaningful feedback from this app. It is very kid friendly and opens a door for parents to use at home for reinforcement as well. I believe the incorporation of BrainPOP in a primary setting would be beneficial for student learning and growth. The differentiation using games and videos allows for the teacher to step back and allow this piece of technology to model content to the students.

BrainPop is great for all subjects

I have been using BrainPop for three years and think it is great. I use the videos to help introduce new subjects or to refresh students about different things, (mainly for study skills - including the copyright and research videos)! Although aimed at younger students I have even used this with Grade 10, (though we laugh at the silly cartoons and I only use it to introduce a topic). The quizzes are great (though the questions sometimes have quite complex language, so don't always suit ESOL students). I often set a video for homework and have students email me a screenshot of their quiz results. Have a look through the videos available and don't forget to check out the 'spotlight' section, where BrainPop pull together videos for a certain topic.

really good

It's a really educational site, my school uses it a lot. Just monitor your kids if they're young, because they have movies about sex and menstruation.

Age 8 but with Caution

We typically use Brain Pop jr, but my child has exhausted all the videos...we home school and find this a good supplement. My son enjoys Brain Pop with Tim and Moby as it has much "meatier" subjects and new content as compared to Brain Pop Jr. The program is automatically included with our homeschool program and releases regular Brain Pop for grade 3. Although I think my son is ready for most of the content, some was surprising. For example, under health and science there is a topic on menstral cycles, and another on drugs which mentions things like "crack or cocaine". I'm not ready for that, and I certainly don't want my child learning about certain details too early. Originally I felt this was a safe app he could watch independently when he wanted, but now I monitor each selection very closely. I wish the app had an option to "deselect" or "hide" certain topics so we could release for view when appropriate. Other than this issue, I think it's an amazing program.