Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for CodeMonkey

Solve puzzles, help the monkey, learn to program.

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byEric G. January 2, 2017

Excellent way of exploring programming concepts

When I saw how interested my kids were in a programming tool at a local museum's Robots exhibit I looked online for a similar, simple tool for explaining programming. Of the few I looked at CodeMonkey was both immediately available (nothing to download) and also did an excellent job of explaining programming concepts in a series of fun logic puzzles. The creators have done an excellent job in keeping each lesson accessible and building off of the concepts in the previous lessons. The gamification also helps tremendously. Who doesn't like to see three starts?

My 9 year old can't get enough of it and is absorbing the material in leaps and bounds. Like another reviewer, I also have a background in programming, but I have not had to 'step in' at all and actually enjoy watching the boy figure out improvements by himself. Well worth it. Enjoy!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjimd2 April 28, 2016

CodeMonkey

This is an incredible product. My boy is half way through all the levels and can't get enough of it. They are teaching REAL programming concepts while the kids feel like they are playing a game. My only problem will be figuring out how to keep up his enthusiasm after he has completed all of the levels. By the way I am a career programmer.
Adult Written byjomu7931 September 23, 2015

Code Monkey, Thank You!

Code Monkey
This game is suitable for students in grades 5th- 7th Grade (9-12 years old). Code Monkey teaches the students a vast variety of critical life skills. The students learn a lot about their computer and its various coding functions, the importance of listening/ reading directions, and minor math is involved (measurement and counting). All these vital skills are possessed through a rewarding quest with a less than menacing monkey. The student controls a cute “Code Monkey” and must pass various challenges that increase exponentially in difficulty. Every action of the monkey is controlled by the student and their keyboard. The student must listen to directions, apply the proper code, and make sure they do the math to assure the code they enter is correct. I recommend that computer teachers and math teachers of the early middle school age use this game to teach the students the practical use of math and the various functions of the computer. Computer teachers win as students learn keyboard short cuts and minor coding, but math teachers win as students must use a ruler to calculate their monkey’s steps and do the math to decide his next move to the banana. This game directly addresses the Colorado Department of Education’s academic standards. The 6th standard of the CDE’s academic standards states: “Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems and operations.” This game does just that as students are exposed to the introductory world of computer programming (the virtual language of today). While this game is invaluable to an educator’s arsenal, students will need technical support and help as they get stuck on various challenges. The world of coding can be tough and, without guidance, the student will just become frustrated and not glean the value of the game in education. Therefore, a teacher should not assign this game as a personal homework assignment, but an in class interactive activity.