Parent reviews for Free Rice

Learning and ending hunger, a few grains of rice at a time.

Adult Written byTimothy thammina. June 16, 2020
Adult Written byTeacher Parent. December 1, 2018

Improve for More Rice

This is a great idea, but the actual game format could be improved to keep people interested. The questions repeat too much and too close to each other. This must be to encourage learning and more correct answers, but it will lead to boredom. Questions should not be repeated from one level to the next and the player should never go down a level - too discouraging. People need to feel that they are making progress. Some type of praise, like a flashing bowl of rice image that adds bowls when a player reaches a certain level would encourage people to keep playing and give them a goal to reach. Bright visuals would make people feel successful more than the quiet count on the side. Teachers or parents could offer a small reward (like a piece of gum) when kids reach a certain level. Some online game designer or company would probably be willing to help improve design to better match popular games in exchange for an add recognizing their contribution.

These suggestions would also reel in adults more.
Adult Written byMeghan A. November 15, 2017

Great motivator for giving and learning!

I think this is a fantastic tool for students at the Intermediate Level. What a fun and exciting way to get kids to want to learn. My students are a bit addicted and want to play all the time. They want to see who can donate the most rice each week! I highly recommend this site!

Parent of an infant, 5, 11, 11, and 14-year-old Written byThe Random Reviewer January 15, 2011

Perfect for all ages

It is the perfect website that my 5 girls can enjoy together though not all of them can play it gives a feeling of acomplishment to have been able to donate rice

Educational Value
Parent of a 2, 10, 14, and 18+-year-old Written bySystemOfANintendo January 2, 2011

Wonderful for all ages!

This site is a great way for kids to help poor people without donating money! My 10 year old sons school uses it in free-time, and they've donated a lot of grains of rice to help feed the poor. Definitely one to use.

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written bybrown_eyed_girl June 28, 2010

OK if you don't click the ads by accident

Not sure why CMS says there are no ads as there are clear ads for $13 iPads, clothing stores, and stock trades all linking to junky websites prominently displayed on the banner at the bottom of every screen. Also the site clearly states these ads which pay for the donated rice. If your child accidentally clicks on the banner, they will be taken to a commercial site which is difficult to close.

At any rate, my kids are, for some reason, obsessed with this site. I find it boring & repetitive but apparently it's a big deal with our local tweens at the moment. Not sure how much educational value there is in the site but it seems to be a fun way for kids to review material.

Although the site does have information about world hunger, I don't think most kids bother to read that material. Instead the message seems to be that the best way to feed hungry people is idly sitting on your rear clicking a mouse. I think it would be good for parents to discuss hunger in their own communities and steps they can take as a family to assist children and families right next door in a much more active way.

Parent of a 10 and 13-year-old Written bytry2doitall December 1, 2009

Learn and feed the hungry at the same time!

Vocabulary building while helping feed the hungry? What could be better? I have even logged on and learned a few new words!

Parent of a 9-year-old Written bysearingflesh55 November 30, 2009

Parent of a 6 and 9-year-old Written byDsLove November 18, 2009

Perfect for all ages!

Great website, educational in every way positive.

Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written bylaralou October 29, 2009

What's not to Love?

Adults and kids alike will enjoy the challenge. When you've answered incorrectly the question comes up again, the repetition helps teach. When you've answered correctly the earned grains of rice result in feeding the hungry around the world!

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byShellB September 30, 2009

A+ for Free Rice

I love this site! It gives the child a sense of accomplishment, while helping with a world wide problem, hunger.

Adult Written bymajor095 May 3, 2009

very good site

We use this site daily at the school I teach at. It's a good vocabulary development tool. They've added some additional sections over the last year as well.
Adult Written byTheMelMonster April 14, 2009

Pleasantly surprised

At first I was very skeptical about this site. It seemed too simple. But then I started playing, and it was actually a lot of fun. I'm not sure how educational it is in the long run though, simply because the feedback isn't strong when you get an answer incorrect. I think a lot of kids would just ignore the correct answer and move on to the next word. When I played I honestly was just watching the rice bowl. But, overall, it's a fun site and I would recommend it.