Parent reviews for Free Rice

Free Rice Poster Image

Improve for More Rice

This is a great idea, but the actual game format could be improved to keep people interested. The questions repeat too much and too close to each other. This must be to encourage learning and more correct answers, but it will lead to boredom. Questions should not be repeated from one level to the next and the player should never go down a level - too discouraging. People need to feel that they are making progress. Some type of praise, like a flashing bowl of rice image that adds bowls when a player reaches a certain level would encourage people to keep playing and give them a goal to reach. Bright visuals would make people feel successful more than the quiet count on the side. Teachers or parents could offer a small reward (like a piece of gum) when kids reach a certain level. Some online game designer or company would probably be willing to help improve design to better match popular games in exchange for an add recognizing their contribution. These suggestions would also reel in adults more.

Great motivator for giving and learning!

I think this is a fantastic tool for students at the Intermediate Level. What a fun and exciting way to get kids to want to learn. My students are a bit addicted and want to play all the time. They want to see who can donate the most rice each week! I highly recommend this site!

Perfect for all ages

It is the perfect website that my 5 girls can enjoy together though not all of them can play it gives a feeling of acomplishment to have been able to donate rice

Wonderful for all ages!

This site is a great way for kids to help poor people without donating money! My 10 year old sons school uses it in free-time, and they've donated a lot of grains of rice to help feed the poor. Definitely one to use.

OK if you don't click the ads by accident

Not sure why CMS says there are no ads as there are clear ads for $13 iPads, clothing stores, and stock trades all linking to junky websites prominently displayed on the banner at the bottom of every screen. Also the site clearly states these ads which pay for the donated rice. If your child accidentally clicks on the banner, they will be taken to a commercial site which is difficult to close. At any rate, my kids are, for some reason, obsessed with this site. I find it boring & repetitive but apparently it's a big deal with our local tweens at the moment. Not sure how much educational value there is in the site but it seems to be a fun way for kids to review material. Although the site does have information about world hunger, I don't think most kids bother to read that material. Instead the message seems to be that the best way to feed hungry people is idly sitting on your rear clicking a mouse. I think it would be good for parents to discuss hunger in their own communities and steps they can take as a family to assist children and families right next door in a much more active way.

Learn and feed the hungry at the same time!

Vocabulary building while helping feed the hungry? What could be better? I have even logged on and learned a few new words!

Perfect for all ages!

Great website, educational in every way positive.

What's not to Love?

Adults and kids alike will enjoy the challenge. When you've answered incorrectly the question comes up again, the repetition helps teach. When you've answered correctly the earned grains of rice result in feeding the hungry around the world!