Parent reviews for Geronimo Stilton

Geronimo Stilton Poster Image

Awful series

I’m truly not sure how this series ended up becoming so popular because it’s terribly sexist and racist. It’s difficult to imagine how something so blatantly problematic was published in this century. It’s really bad.

OK—but read with your kids to discuss gender & racial stereotypes

My son loves these books, comics, chapter books, all bazillion of them. Mostly I enjoy their combination of education and adventure. However, many persistent tropes of sexism and racism/xenophobia stand out. The new series of comic books, "Geronimo Stilton, Reporter", might help revive journalism among the young. That's a good thing. But the first book in the series has a stupidly sexist twist, and the bad guy is a presumed Indian raj in a turban. The older ones are a little more benign. However, expect to interrupt your youngster to talk about gender attitudes fairly often. It would be nice if the Common Sense review icons added something along the lines of "Gender stereotypes" and "Racial stereotypes" along with "Too Much Violence" etc.

sexist drek

Raises gender stereotype in kidlit to a new low. Mad Men for kiddies. Mid-20th-century messaging about women's roles and male machismo. Skip it. Remove it from your school libraries. This one is junk.