Parent reviews for IXL

IXL Poster Image

Worst Website for children ever!!!

This site is absolutely outrages! I have had 5TH GRADERS start crying in frustration over this site. The main problems are it does not encourage students to learn, the point system is unfair, and is destroys a students self esteem. I have had many of my students tell me "ixl makes me feel dumb...". And I'm not very surprised after I used it myself for a while I noticed the frustration and pain students have to go through. First off it is boring there is nothing fun about this and when students do complete an ixl all it does is them a sticker they can use as their profile picture. This reward does not make students excited and determined to complete the ixl. Which brings me t my next topic, this point system is very frustrating and upsetting for the students. Ex- a student just hit 70 percent they answer and there is a typo students score-68 percent. This is what causes students to start yelling or crying it's just awful to see students so distressed. I have seen many sites that when a student submits an answer and it has random letters numbers symbols ect. It has an option that says "sorry typo" so that students don't have to lose 10 percent of their progress. And finally the students self esteem, any student would not feel great if they get a question wrong. But to get a question wrong and then have an explanation not even explain to them what they did wrong only makes students feel worse. I have seen that many of my students get questions wrong on ixl and ask me "why did I get this wrong" and I tell them "try reading the explanation first" an they say "I have but I don't get my mistake". I read the explanation and the students do make a point these explanations are wordy and are hard to understand even for a teacher. Ultimately, I feel like this is your worst option if you are finding an educational site for your students. Even though it's free it's horrible.

20 people found this helpful.

Promotes stress and anxiety

Horrible website. The "smart score" system is god awful and promotes stress to young children. It severely punishes you for making a mistake and you can get stuck on questions for a very long time. There are so many better options that IXL. Would not recommend.
12 people found this helpful.
This game is rigged. Let’s say you are at a percentage of 94 and you get it wrong, you will go down to like 74. RIGGED
9 people found this helpful.

Horible

there are so many people like me that struggle with ixl because when you get one wrong it brings you back 20 if you get one right you get 5 horibble app
9 people found this helpful.

No just no

When you first go in you might think this is a good website for kids to learn, but no. My kids hate it they tell me how bad it is and how not useful it is. When you are at like 90 and you get 1 question wrong, you drop back to like 70. Yes, it's that bad. And you only move 2 points per question you get right. Do not recommend, a waste of money.
8 people found this helpful.

jamal stover

i hate its it hurts my head
8 people found this helpful.

sucks

very frustrating takes up to much money not worth it dosente explain and dosent teach

5 people found this helpful.

Examples don’t even make sense

The examples don’t even make any sense. Yeah, it helps me with what they show me, but when it’s a problem, that the example doesn’t show, how am I supposed to know the answer! It is very frustrating and is a app from hell.

Dissapointing

Imagine going to school, talking and laughing with your friends, and the days going well. a few hours/periods go by and then you sit down in math where you have to do a site that punishes you for making a mistake, and it doesn't teach you how to do it correctly it just makes you feel mad and depressed. Believe it or not, there is a site out there that does do that, and that site is called IXL. If you read the kid and parent reviews for the site on Common Sense Media you will find that few like the site and even fewer find it helpful, heck the site has made some kids suicidal! The site also has a yearly fee of $79.00 PER STUDENT! Schools that use the site are losing thousands to a greedy company that doesn't help anyone, that money could be used for, New books, Teacher training, New sports equipment, ETC!

IXL Bad

It just stinks don't bother with it