All parent member reviews for IXL

Adult Written bymonday601 March 18, 2013

Very good paid math learning site covering Pre-K through 8th

IXL is an achievement-based math learning pay-site covering math from Pre-K through eighth-grade. Kids get "awards" as they complete skills and parents get very thorough reports on what and how much their children have done. Kids do need to be able to read to be able to answer the questions. The site claims to be aligned to the 2010 Common Core State Standards for mathematics as well as other state standards. You pay $9.95/month for the first child with lower prices as you add other children. There is also a yearly-rate.
Parent Written byixl is horrible March 1, 2015

WTF is this!!!!!

If you miss one question on a topic even though you haven't got one wrong it dropped the smart score by 6-7 points. Its retarded.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byfoxbearsydney September 11, 2014

LEARNING

Best Online training math site so far

my kid is in Kindy, but because of IXL my kid is now doing year 2 math. I think the secret is all the positive message and explanation after each question... AND the GOLD STARs ! lol It breaks down each topic by topic so its very easy to focus on areas that you think your child need to focus on, and you can skip the easy bits. plus i like the track progress reporting. these metric really helps. for $80 a year this is awesome , I just wish IXL can start putting together English, science and other topics because IXL definitely helped my kid. I am sharing this "secret" because I think we need to support such a brilliant online teaching site. Thank you IXL !
Parent Written byedgys March 18, 2014

Comprehensive math practice

Math is one of those subjects where sometimes you just need to practice, and IXL possesses an extremely comprehensive range of math problems for all different grade levels. There aren't bells, whistles or flashing lights here (although my first grader gets incredibly excited when she wins a picture award for various goals). Every correct answer gets some version of "Great!" while an incorrect answer takes you to an explanation of how the problem needs to be worked out. I personally like the points system although I see that a lot of reviewing teens are frustrated about it (the goal is to work your way up to a "proficient" score of 80 with a score of 100 equaling "mastery"). The love/hate of the scoring system may depend on your child's age and personality. My daughter finds first grade math pretty easy, and generally doesn't hit "submit" until she's confident of her answer, so IXL generally gives us just the right amount of problems (~25/topic) before she gets bored and is ready to move onto a different subject. I think that the sore point with the scoring is that kids can get to 80% (i.e. proficiency) without too much problem, but the algorithm to reach 100% (full mastery) is much more difficult. That's an intentional feature of the scoring, though. Its the judgment call of the parent/teacher which milestone to use (your kid is actually comprehending the topic pretty well if they can reach 80; if there is angst or a section is taking too long, for pity's sake just stop there). For the most part, my family saves IXL for holidays/snow days and for when we're practicing "speed math" (although I've sought out a particular topic if my daughter's having problems with it, such as reading clocks or counting money). Typically we throw IXL on the laptop, cuddle up on the bed, pound through a few topics, and gloat over won cartoon tokens. Afterwards I feel content that the kid has happily practiced more math problems in 20-30 minutes than what she would have probably done in school.