All parent member reviews for IXL

Adult Written bymonday601 March 18, 2013

Very good paid math learning site covering Pre-K through 8th

IXL is an achievement-based math learning pay-site covering math from Pre-K through eighth-grade. Kids get "awards" as they complete skills and parents get very thorough reports on what and how much their children have done. Kids do need to be able to read to be able to answer the questions. The site claims to be aligned to the 2010 Common Core State Standards for mathematics as well as other state standards. You pay $9.95/month for the first child with lower prices as you add other children. There is also a yearly-rate.
Parent Written bywatchingthis October 15, 2014

Not what it could be

The point system within the program the kids use in IXL is horrible. If they get a question right, then their points go up, but if they get a question wrong (and they are more than 90% correct on all answers, then it takes AWAY MANY points in one fell swoop (they get bumped all the way down to 82%). This is extremely frustrating to the learning child (whether they "get it" or they don't). My child has spent WAY too many HOURS on this software because she "gets it" and missed ONE when she's almost at 100%. This kind of take-away point system is very NEGATIVE and way too TIME CONSUMING!!!!!! If a child "gets" a concept with more than 90% accuracy, they shouldn't be punished for it. This point system needs to be changed ASAP!!!
Parent Written byedgys March 18, 2014

Comprehensive math practice

Math is one of those subjects where sometimes you just need to practice, and IXL possesses an extremely comprehensive range of math problems for all different grade levels. There aren't bells, whistles or flashing lights here (although my first grader gets incredibly excited when she wins a picture award for various goals). Every correct answer gets some version of "Great!" while an incorrect answer takes you to an explanation of how the problem needs to be worked out. I personally like the points system although I see that a lot of reviewing teens are frustrated about it (the goal is to work your way up to a "proficient" score of 80 with a score of 100 equaling "mastery"). The love/hate of the scoring system may depend on your child's age and personality. My daughter finds first grade math pretty easy, and generally doesn't hit "submit" until she's confident of her answer, so IXL generally gives us just the right amount of problems (~25/topic) before she gets bored and is ready to move onto a different subject. I think that the sore point with the scoring is that kids can get to 80% (i.e. proficiency) without too much problem, but the algorithm to reach 100% (full mastery) is much more difficult. That's an intentional feature of the scoring, though. Its the judgment call of the parent/teacher which milestone to use (your kid is actually comprehending the topic pretty well if they can reach 80; if there is angst or a section is taking too long, for pity's sake just stop there). For the most part, my family saves IXL for holidays/snow days and for when we're practicing "speed math" (although I've sought out a particular topic if my daughter's having problems with it, such as reading clocks or counting money). Typically we throw IXL on the laptop, cuddle up on the bed, pound through a few topics, and gloat over won cartoon tokens. Afterwards I feel content that the kid has happily practiced more math problems in 20-30 minutes than what she would have probably done in school.
Adult Written byCanabelle March 5, 2015

HORRIBLE!!!!

WORST LEARNING TOOL IN THE WORLD SAYS ITS FUN BUT IT IS HORRRIBBLEEE!!!!! I TOOK A CHANCE FOR IT BUT I NEVER SHOULD'VE DONE THAT! I BASICALLY DIED FROM FRUSTRATION !!!!
Educator Written byFast Freddy November 23, 2014

IXL is dead to me...

There is a very poorly designed mechanic within every IXL activity called the challenge zone. My niece and nephew have both end up frustrated and in tears upon reaching this section. Upon missing one question, even if they are at 99% completion it reset the activity back to the beginning of the challenge zone. There's no way to obtain 100 points for the activity without going through this zone. It in no way is designed to award for the effort put forth and technically there are situations a student could continue failing indefinitely.
Adult Written byCSM Screen name... October 8, 2014

Don't be persuaded.

All of the good reviews for the website are the only people IXL could find who actually liked it. And there are over 7 billion people in the world. Don't waste your precious 73 dollars a year or 9.95 a month on this website, it's so frustrating you would rather shoot yourself in the foot without even blinking or thinking twice to never have to do it again, after you've had to do it regularly. The reason I said this website had to much violence and swearing and consumerism is A. You will be frustrated and you will cuss, break stuff (which you have to buy) and breaking stuff is violent. The worst part of this website is the "SmartScore", whenever you get a question right you get a few points, but when you get one wrong you lose a bunch of points, up to 10. This is very frustrating, and severe frustration can embarrass you in the middle of class and cause health problems. Don't get lured in by the people giving the site good ratings, or the stuff about how good it is and whatnot, because this website is not good, at all. Go practice somewhere else, IXL.com isn't it. IXL has made a lot of money scamming people with this stuff, enough to pay to get a good review on the home page. You know what else I find funny? Only parents give this website a good review, even though they don't have to do it... And i'm pretty sure 76% percent of people saying this is bad deserves to be on the front page...
Adult Written byjennyy1 November 2, 2014

Pure Frustration

Frankly, I don't even think ixl deserves one star. My algebra teacher gives us lessons to do daily and I can say firsthand that it is PURE TORTURE. Once you get into the 90's you only get one point for a correct answer and a wrong one deducts over five. I have spent a total of 25 hours of my life on ixl trying to finish lessons. Don't make your child go through this torture.
Parent Written bySandy2014 October 23, 2014

Not worth the money and time

We've used IXL for a year before but I don't see my child is making any progress. Instead, he seems to be losing interest on math. Then we changed to use Beestar, another after school learning website offering free math exercises. To my surprise, my child loves to use Beestar much better. He said the questions are more fun. I also see the math questions are more attractive. Many of them are vivid real life problems. Now I am thinking to let him join its GT math program.
Adult Written byzav417 October 27, 2014
Adult Written bycarolthecake December 12, 2015

Poor learning website

Are you kidding me? What is up with Common Sense Media's description for this terrible learning site? "Detailed explanations," it said - or something like that. But this isn't true at all! IXL poorly explains the process to solving the problem, and it's extremely difficult to correct your mistakes. Not only that, but when you get an answer incorrect, the "SmartScore" drops an astoundingly large amount compared to the amount increased when an answer is correctly submitted. This discourages persistence and encourages giving up. There is no appeal to this website. The prizes seem to have been lazily thought over, and you know what? The whole site just disgusts me. I haven't learned a single thing through it. Now Khan Academy? Oh, for goodness sakes... I learned a ton of new concepts in one week than the concepts I learned from IXL in a year. If the Common Sense Media's IXL website rating doesn't go down, I swear, I will rage. Because the description & rating isn't accurate. It's like Common Sense Media didn't even try OUT the website.
Adult Written bySpectrumG April 13, 2015

Horrible

This will make your kid become an agressive, bad stress handling kid. It can turn the nicest into the meanest kid there could be because of all the stress this causes. Like many people said, be at 99, miss a small sign like a negative, and drop to 85!
Adult Written bynobody March 30, 2015

IXL is horrible.

I hate IXL, it is so hard!!! AND ITS $$$
Adult Written byhunters October 17, 2014

IXL Math keeping time

I thought this math program sucks because if you do 2 hours of math it records 40 or 50 minutes of time usage. Sometimes it doesn't record what you practice either.
Parent Written bycoryb1 February 13, 2016
LEARNING

The point system is going to make your kids give up on learning.

This would be a five star program were it not for their point system which they are crassly proud of. It is arbitrarily punitive. A kid with 99 percent will get docked 10 points for a mistake. By the time they get 99 percent or even 92 percent they are clearly doing well enough. This should not be incorporated into school curriculums. Learning should not be a process of making kids angry and upset and I can guarantee that this program will do just that. I'd be willing to bet it will turn many kids off of math.
Adult Written byAlex Morales March 5, 2015

I hate IXL

It's stressing and causes anger.
Adult Written bymarcelas March 24, 2015

It's the greatest website for math

This is great. I do not know about you people who are thinking IXL is evil but not. It takes away 10 points because it is giving stuff to learn more, not to let parents hate their kids. It gives 1 point because if you know, It wants to make you have more time. Are you guys crazy?! I have did it for 2 hours! and it improved me. Come on! Try it! It made me improve! Its great for grades P-K - 12. You will get smarter and smarter each time! But you waste money for importance. So try it! It is great
Parent of a 5 year old Written byfoxbearsydney September 11, 2014
LEARNING

Best Online training math site so far

my kid is in Kindy, but because of IXL my kid is now doing year 2 math. I think the secret is all the positive message and explanation after each question... AND the GOLD STARs ! lol It breaks down each topic by topic so its very easy to focus on areas that you think your child need to focus on, and you can skip the easy bits. plus i like the track progress reporting. these metric really helps. for $80 a year this is awesome , I just wish IXL can start putting together English, science and other topics because IXL definitely helped my kid. I am sharing this "secret" because I think we need to support such a brilliant online teaching site. Thank you IXL !
Adult Written bywillerwhale March 11, 2015

Don't Waste Your Money

I find that with IXL, kids don't learn any of the subject they are practicing. Rather, they are completely annoyed and frustrated and ready to completely destroy their computers. Don't waste your money buying this useless program, the only thing it will teach your kids is how to destroy a computer.
Adult Written bytortured_by_my_... January 23, 2015
LEARNING

can cause explosive anger issues

Doesn't do anything but give you a bunch of problems, adding 2 points for every right and decreasing 10 for every wrong. I don't think its good for u because its stressing and you will probably end up killing everybody
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bySinisterDol September 23, 2014

Skill and Drill

This is simply a skill and drill activity site. I do not see much value in it beyond that. I do believe skill and drill has an important place in education. It is hard to build foundation knowledge without practice, but do not mistake this for a teaching tool.