Parent reviews for Poptropica

Island-hopping adventure is hours of safe fun, but with ads.

Parent Written byMr Wesley May 11, 2010

Probably best for kids between 8-12.

My kids discovered this site a few months back. I made a quick check to make certain there were obvious spam attacks or inappropriate content, and I found none, so I let them play with the promise that I'd have to come back to dig a little deeper later. Once I started, I found myself sucked into the game for more than a week before I could pry myself away. Poptropica is a platformer/puzzler. The conceit behind the game is that you travel to different islands, each of which feature a different adventure. Themes include everything from history and time travel to world cultures to wacky mad scientists. Genres stretch from mystery to sci-fi and fantasy. This is mainly a single-player game. There are a few mini-games that you can play with other players, but those are easily avoided if you prefer to focus on the larger campaigns. This game is light in tone, but some of the puzzles will be at least a little challenging to adults. And one of the best parts about Poptropica is that it is currently being supported. There's a team constantly developing new islands, and they give previews to new islands through the blog. Compare that to many kid-oriented sites that the creators just seem to abandon and forget to turn out the lights. Now, some drawbacks: Yes there is sometimes advertising in the frame around the game window, and certain islands have corporate sponsorship. But from what I've seen so far, those ads are always in the background and never impact the story. And this is definitely a puzzle game first and an educational tool second. Most worlds are based around some sort of educational goal (history, culture, art), but the factoids kids might learn are incidental to the game play. Since there is absolutely no sound in the game, you do need to be a pretty secure reader in order to understand the rules and goals of each game. Otherwise, younger players will just find themselves clicking about randomly. And it is a bandwidth hog. If you're running an older machine, this game will make it slow to a crawl, which will definitely impact some of the more action-oriented puzzles. Two responses to other reviews I've seen here. I've played through all the worlds available for free at the time, and I saw nothing referring to the Christian creation story. On the other hand, Poptropica rotates in new adventures every few weeks, so that particular island may have been removed. And anyone who thinks they're not allowed to save their game hasn't seen the big blue button in the corner of the game screen that reads "SAVE." Poptropica is just a diversion, really. It's not as involved or violent as World of Warcraft or another MMO, but kids who are too advanced or not advanced enough may become bored quickly. Perhaps the biggest benefit of the game is that you can introduce some deeper discussions about the islands' various themes, to see if your child has developed an interest in them worth furthering.

Adult Written bySnakeRiverMom March 6, 2011

good for older kids, keep younger ones away!

the islands are too difficult, period. I am an adult and often find myself calming my kids down because they are very upset that they can not move forward in a challenge. Too much "losing" and not enough reward for hours of upset and bad nerves. Only for older kids who are game addicted.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bycandylove December 23, 2010
I love it. It is so totally appropriate but, why not let the kids talk I mean let them have one warning and if they do what ever they did at first or something different thing that was bad banned them and make them write an good paper on what they did and what they will or would do if they get back on.Oh, and if they type garbage just banned them. When you guys get their paper discuss what all of you think and vote on it.I am so sorry if I got in the way of what you all are or were already doing but, that was just my opinion.Also my child is an poptropican anyway.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymarellano February 13, 2009

Too many ads?

My 4th grade son really enjoys this site. However, he mentioned to me this morning that he is beginning to see more and more ads for movies (i.e. Open Season 2, Pink Panther, etc.) and products, and he asked me why this might be.
Adult Written byGrilledCheese September 16, 2012

AMAZING!

Don't listen to ResponsibleParentof2! It's not evil! ''Time-Tangled Island" teaches kids about famous people of history and explains that,sometimes,time traveling can be both good and bad!

Adult Written byRedfish December 26, 2015

Pelican Rock island glitch

The confidential file won't open and freezes the game if you try to access it. Please fix this! This is my favorite game app and otherwise I love it!
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 1, 2015

good

my child who just turned 2 loves it
Parent of a 2, 5, and 8 year old Written bykiwi0810 October 17, 2009

Pity about the ad

Great game which my kids love but I was horrified to see a huge ad for Froot Loops on the site. Unfortunately Adblocker does not block this.

Parent of an infant, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11 year old Written byResponsibleParentOf9 December 5, 2012

BAD BAD BAD

Entertaining and not educational! Get this off the internet NOW! >:(
Adult Written bybasbel October 9, 2011
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjake111 March 7, 2010

It gives you kids their own world

It is perfect for kids 8-13.My two kids love it
Adult Written bynguoi_yeu_hasense April 4, 2012

Great website for all kids!!!

This is a great site for those families who don't want their kids to play something fun and non-violent. Poptropica teaches problem-solving, and independence. It's very fun and addicting and very safe. The scenarios they use in the Poptropican "islands" are fantasy and fictional, therefore the kids are comfortable with traveling to that island. Overall, Poptropica is very supported in our family and I encourage a lot of families to enjoy it also.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bynyla62502 January 28, 2011

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bywhatsreal September 11, 2009

Love this free, online game for a simple good time with some educational benefit

I highly recommend this site! It does have some ads, but they are easily ignored and my 8 year old LOVES this game... she would give it 5 stars :-)

Parent of a 9 year old Written byjadenmatt February 27, 2011
we love it

Parent of a 14 year old Written bygemstone July 28, 2010

PERFECT! I LOVE IT!

AMAZING! Poptropica...wow...my neice discovered it a few years ago; back when there were only 2 islands! she recommended it for my youngest child, who, at the time was 5. I thoroughly checked it for anything that worried me, and found nothing! I always set a limit for all my kids on the internet; so every day, he would come home from school, do his homework, [I used it as a reward, if he completed his homework neatly and without whining.] I would set him up at the computer with a snack, and sit close by, and he loved it! the first few islands are fairly easy, but they get harder and harder! I am in my 30s and I can't get past some of the islands! (Yes, I became a huge fan of poptropica, and play it regularly!) my teen loves it, as well. I have noticed a big change in my son's performance in school since he began playing poptopica. teachers have started telling me that he has gotten better at problem solving and general thinking. it even helps ME with trying to figure out all options before acting. it seems like everything on the internet has a negative...but poptropica doesnt! Overall, i say ABSOLUTELY! (:

Adult Written byballerina66 March 19, 2012

FUN!

Such a fun game for hours of sneakily educational entertainment

Adult Written byosnapitst February 26, 2015

Great Game!

Poptropica is a great game for anyone, I have been playing it since age of 9 (when i first discovered it) good even for learning.
Adult Written byquankiet22 June 11, 2016
Educator Written byBraden A. October 28, 2016

Scary

I played the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory world and I talked to a guy in the game who wanted to jump off a bridge. I think it is unsafe.

Drinking, drugs & smoking