All parent member reviews for RuneScape

Adult Written byshushubaby April 9, 2008

And 5th graders parents let them play Grand Theft...

And complain about Runescape!!! I am a 45 yr mother and have let my daughter play (free) Runescape for 4 years now....she's turning 13 in September. I have no problem with that game. She know's it's just a game (not to mention it's all midieval) It's not like she's going out and jacking cars and killing cops......put it in perspective. Some kids play Grand Theft and think it's ok to go out and do it in real life......Kids playing Ruinscape are more likely to be cutting down trees or doing quests..
Adult Written bytrajan38 February 14, 2012

Good game even for most children

I have played Runescape for a while, so I've seen the game develop alot. In fact, one of the biggest pluses i give this game is the constant updates. Ratings wise I put this game as for ages 13 and up solely because the game requires it, i personally think it would be fine for younger kids (I've been playing since age 10). The game does include alcohol, but your character is not able to get drunk and though there are a few NPC's who are drunk I dont think it is an issue, they behave in a very inoffensive way, just staggering around. The game has no problems with sexual content, and though i have seen one review on this site that complains about partial nudity i don't know what they are talking about. Language should generally not be an issue, as there is a filter you can turn on that will replace any offensive words with stars. Some players used to try and find a way around this but this is usually not an issue as they will now just have their filter off so they can swear (you still will just see stars if your filter is on). The majority of players who play this game are pretty nice and will be helpful and friendly, though as with anything in life you will meet a few jerks. My advice is to just put them on the handy ignore list or report them if they are being really offensive. Security should not be an issue as giving out personal info is against the rules, just make sure younger children are aware of that as people still do it unfortunately. This game is not very educational, however its massive and diverse player driven economy means that you can learn some basic economics, and even get a taste of the stock exchange through using the Grand Exchange in the game well. It is actually a good way to make money, though as with all investing there is risk involved if the prices fall instead of rising as you expected. I agree with a couple of the other reviews that some parts of this game may be a little complex for younger children, and they may need help understanding how to finish certain quests and tasks, though again this is generally not a problem. As to violence the violence in Runescape is nothing, especially compared to T or M rated video games, and even some E10 ones I've seen. Overrall, i enjoy playing Runescape and see it as a very child friendly game. I would recommend that you make sure all homework gets done, as some people find the game fairly addicting. Hope this was decent its actually my first review :].
Adult Written byDiana Smith January 25, 2010

RuneScape is a great, safe, and fun game for kids.

I am a mother of two boys, and my older son plays RuneScape. I have watched him several times, and I have no concern whatsoever about this game. There is minimum violence, but compared to all the violence in the real world, RuneScape violence does not seem to stand out at all. There is no blood at all, and swords or daggers don't even touch the opponent. There is alcohol, but drinking does lower your strength, and my son says that this is not a good thing. Therefore, the alcohol issue is not that big. The game does teach kids to save up for what they want, and teamwork is required in many minigames. There is almost no swearing, for curses will be blocked and will show up as little stars. For offensive players, moderators wander around RuneScape, banning them. The game is a little addictive for my son, but ever since I installed parental controls so that he has limited computer time, he has been doing just fine. Personally, I think this game is a fun, sometimes educational, and overall, a pretty great game. For my son, RuneScape is a great replacement for World of Warcraft, which I recently banned him from due to innapropriate content.
Adult Written byGrimpire February 27, 2012

Rune-scape Overview Review

The world of Rune-scape has a Dark-age/Medieval theme, there are a great deal of skills you can do, if you don't like "mindless slaughtering" or just want diversity in your game play. It's true that the members have a much larger area, but it you play F2P (free to play) until you complete all the free quests you won't be as bothered by it. Rune-scape makes use of magic, prayer, demons and also the mythology of that world is Polytheistic. The extent of its religion is the different types of god armor you came get, along with some effects on magical spells. Once your child is of the age of reason, usually [7] seven, they should be able to tell the difference between your family’s theology and Rune-scape's mythology. The Violence in Rune-scape is diverse but virtually no gore. There can be Violence against humans, dwarves, elves, animals, monsters, undead, demonic, etc... You can have pvp(player verse player) in addition to the pvm(player verse monster). Some creatures may or may not be frightening to younger people. Understanding the concept of real and fiction as about the age of reason as well. There is drinking, but no drugs. If you do drink your character will have the effect of a strength potion (about), but at the cost of your attack. There is a quest that requires some smuggling. The language can be filtered, however some people try to be clever and use leet speak. It's not really a problem; you can ignore them or even report them. Do to the ignorance of others I would say about age (13) thirteen would be a better age to start. There have been no sexual undertones that I can think of. Rune-scape, as a safety feature, will auto log-out after about five minutes of inactivity. Jagex does a fair job on security; ultimately, if you don't follow the rules, you only have yourself to blame, for any loss to your character. There are advertisements, which Rune-scape allows in order for it to stay free. ONLY use your pass on official Jagex sites. If you take the right steps you won’t have a problem. Unchecked this game, as with any (if you like it), came start to be addicting. For how long depends on your interest and self-control. You can play it in your browser and the graphics are kind of like claymation meets cartoon.
Adult Written bykdakj2 January 7, 2012

Runescape sucks because of the scammers in it.

Too many scammers. If you want to play the game, play only with the people you know and don't socialize. I've only gotten scammed whenever I socialized.
Adult Written bynicolebear February 19, 2011

Perfect for adults, but not for kids or teens

I don't like it. It hogs the hard drive. There is no way you can play that game. You want a membership? It charges monthly fees. It should not be on the Internet. You have to be an adult to join.
Adult Written byRemacno June 20, 2009

About RS

I joined RS in their opening year a really long time ago. At first, it did not interest me, as I was not into the whole MMORPG thing. In recent years, after I have left my account alone all these years, got back into playing it. There are many fun things to do, various quests and constant event updates for holidays and such. I would have to say that my favorite thing about it is the members options should you choose to become a member. $5 a month isn't that bad and it sure as heck beats WoW in that manner. Lol But to be perfectly honest, the game is only fun if you decide to pay the $5 a month since you can travel further, learn more spells and work on more skills and get a wide variety of ever expanding quests to work which will keep you busy for a very long time. I would say that this is a great site to join if you are willing to pay for a membership as there are many more things to do than non members. However, should you join, work on being a free member for a while and clear all of the free quests so that you don't have to waste the membership cost on getting to the levels to do the members quests.
Parent Written bygodsgirl12345 May 22, 2012

LEARNING

good game

very good game the classic good vs. evil mmorpg that i was looking for.
Adult Written byiatecheese May 6, 2010

I only gave it language because it's an online game. It's fun and exciting, nothing bad, except for as soon as you get in to this, you will become a "Warcraft Nerd." Be warned!
Adult Written byCkmj824 March 27, 2010

Now, as you can tell, I'm an adult, and I do play Runescape in my spare time while not a work. For younger kids, this is a little "off", there are many skeletons, goblins, and spiders that younger children may find scary. Runescape also contains a lot of strategy and mind-working skills which may be again, difficult for younger children. One of the quests that requires strategy is a quest were you need to get a pirate some rum from another island, but the island has a law that you cannot carry alcohol on their ships anymore (you travel to the island on a ship, this game is not so much like todays world) so you have to "smuggle" the rum into a crate of bananas. Now you see, younger children wouldn't actually see this catch. Speaking of rum, there is a lot of alcohol in the game. Beer, wine, rum, etc. etc. There are also drunken NPCs (non player characters) such as drunken men in various bars. The men wobble around when walking and when you talk to them they say "i see two of you" and other odd things. There's also the "drunken dwarf" which appears at random times, if a player talks to him, the dwarf will give the player a free kebab and beer. Swear words and inappropriate language are bleeped out with "*" There are lots of scams in this game, there are players who stand in trading areas and say things such as, "Join clan chat FreeGP and make millions of coins" (clan chats are chats were groups of players & friends can talk privately) There are not only scams in the real game, but outside of the game too. Some people say they are game moderators and if you give them your username and password they will get your player to level 138 (high level in the game) and all your skills to 99 (highest level you can get your skills to) Don't let your child fling the keys over to this person who is lying. Never let your child's passwords on ANY website fall into the hands of someone all the way across the country. What these people will do? Hack and or ban your account. You just have to play Runescape in a safe way to have an enjoyable time.
Adult Written bytorchicfire9 January 16, 2015

Educational Views

There is nothing wrong with the game i played when i was in 4th and 5th grade and it helped my with my math and writing skills highly. Then i started playing again now I'm a senior now in a accounting class and runescape as helped me with noticing my income when i go train a skill like crafting i will make something and look at how much money (gold peices) it takes to make and item and then i would look at how much it sells in the grand exchange (place where everyone can sell there goods) it helps with marketing & sales as well. this game has its own stock market on an item to help save you money you watch and buy when its low and sell at its high (scapers call this "flipping") that shows how a stock market works on a virtual wold of over 1 million players every day. so parents and teachers don't think all games are out to ruin your kids! this game will help your kids in highschool.
Adult Written byMsshades August 15, 2014

Awful

WARNING!!! NOTE TO PARENTS!!! KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY! THIS GAME INVOLVES A TYPE OF GAMBLING SYSTEM INVOLVING REAL LIFE MONEY WHICH WILL ENCOURAGE YOUR KIDS TO GAMBLE! So I decided to start playing after 2 years, and once I logged in I noticed some very disturbing things. For example, I paid for a membership 2 years ago, I earned A LOT of skill progress in skills I specifically remember leveling, and now all of that progress is mysteriously missing. I also noticed quite a few of my personal items were missing, along with quest items. Another thing, some of the quests I had finished are no longer highlighted in green because my skill requirements for the quest are no longer available, therefore resetting my quest progress as well. I've been with RS since it was in beta testing, and I am extremely disappointed in the lack of customer service the Jagex team provides these days. It was an almost impossible task to get a hold of them, since their "Help Center" did not list my problem, nor did it do any good. I hoped by chance they would respond to a complaint on their twitter, or google+ pages, which luckily they did. The only problem I have here is the way they dealt with the situation. They sent me a response saying that "There is no evidence to show that you acquired the levels in the skills you mentioned. The account (username) which is linked to your account has the levels you described. If you would like information on how to recover your account please visit (yadayada)." First of all that is my boyfriend's account (we share the same laptop), and second of all that doesn't tell me why all of my skills and information from 2 years ago mysteriously vanished. Even my boyfriend noticed the missing progress. I tried to argue my point further but have yet to see a response from Jagex and it's been 1 month. They obviously didn't try, or they didn't dig deep enough into their records, because the membership I paid for 2 years ago was basically a cleverly devised plan to steal my money then wipe my account progress. I've been with Runescape since it was in BETA and you would think they would treat someone like that with a little more respect. Jagex has become extremely corrupt, which is ridiculous to say the least because the majority of their fanbase is gone. Barely anyonee plays Runescape anymore. So basically Jagex is telling me I imagined paying for a subscription 2 years ago, and I completely imagined working my butt off earning all of that progress. So apparently I'm crazy now. Never playing that awful game again.
Adult Written byCalpin April 12, 2013

pretty harmless

So, I played Runescape as a child and sometimes, when I got time (which happens rarely whith my studies) I come back to this game. First of all, violence is not a problem. Second, nothing is kept too serious in the lore. There are adventures and so on but always with a touch of innocent humor. Trust me, this game is not violent. There are some fight but it is more a kind of "number combat" than anything else. Problems may come with other players, scamming is present. The child should take knowledge of the most popular scams too avoid them. I can tell you about a huge possibility that the games can give to kids. This game can be played in French, German, English and Portugiese. Before this game, I didn't know a single English word and I seriously think that the game increased my english more than teachers. The game has a huge amount of all-day items (benches, glasses, doors...) which can be seen written on the screen. It is an oppurtunity to learn a foreign language. I'm not joking! In overall it is a very harmless game and a good alternative to WoW and so on...
Adult Written bymatfnch March 25, 2013

LEARNING

great game for all ages

great educational game teaches financing time management and helps with social interaction also teaches about midevil life the game gererally shows how things were back then some fighting no blood or gore some bad language but that is to be expected on a game that thousands of people play also has some drinking however in no way does this game promote it the drinks are just items in the game
Parent Written byaeslin April 7, 2012

21 + game since the addition of the Squeal of Fortune

The game has this new wheel added that has flashy lights and such, and they encourage you to buy more spins without having to reenter your credit card information. This could lead a parent who has signed their child up for a paid membership to go into debt before they realize it. It looks like promoting gambling to me, yes I understand all sorts of moral things in the game, but this one charges real money and has a limit of spending $200 per day. They say it is not gambling because you win a prize everytime. Others argue that the items have no real value outside of the game. If you don't want your child begging you for more spins or have unsuspecting charges on your credit card, I would no recommend this site for anyone under 21 or for anyone with habitual tendencies.
Adult Written byBonbonmon December 9, 2011

All you need to know about runescape, good and bad.

I've been playing runescape for over 7 years now. I have found that although there are some crass people in the game, most usually refrain from using inappropriate language unless the player says he is mature enough or of age for that kind of language. Often times players will use skype to contact one another irl (in real life). This may or may not be a big deal for some parents. When i first started playing this game my typing skills were restricted to hunt and peck. Typing is a huge part of this game and is very important in real life today. After 2-3 months of playing this game for an average of about 1-2 hours a day about 5 days a week, i was able to type very well at an efficient 75 words per minute. In this way i could be considered slightly educational. There are also many quests and bonus events that require a player to solve simple AND complex puzzles alike which is also somewhat educational. As for the alcohol content, it is usually looked down upon in the game due to the fact that it lowers your combat skills (a major part of the game). However, some drinks can boost certain non-combat skills. These usually aren't used as there are potions to do similar things as well as foods that can boost skills too. Violence in the game is actually minimal, although pking (player killing) is very popular, the actual aesthetics of the graphics and overall detail is very low, there isn't even blood, it has been removed recently and a new type of damage counting has been put into play. Also even though combat is important and maybe killing things may be against some peoples ideas of a "good game" (runescape is one of the best in my opinion) if you really do not want to participate in combat there are only 8 combat skills: attack, strength, defense, health, ranged, summoning (all 6 require combat), magic and prayer (neither require combat and are easier to train without combat) and there are 15 skills that are completely non combat. One of these skills (thieving) is immoral to many parents to be having their young children playing this game but the skill itself is usually discarded as it is mostly useless although it is required for some quests, and it makes very little money. In some quests this skill is actually used to stop "villains" which i found ironic. There are also 2 skills (dungeoneering and slayer) which rely on combat but are not combat skills and often are ignored. There is one non-combat skills (hunter) which some might find innappropriate (not pointing any fingers *cough* vegetarians *cough*). Either way there are very few negatives to runescape and although there is a lot of combat in the game, there are far more non-combat skills to enjoy and a profanity filter is there to be used -by choice- of the player (A.K.A. this means it can be toggled or switched on and off). The players are friendly, the game is good though the graphics aren't perfect they are still aesthetically pleasing. The game play is simple and easy for any age. People of all ages play the game, i've personally talked to people from ages 5-70 playing the game. There was actually a man (a friend of a friend i have talked to on skype, he is from runescape not a real life friend) that was referred to runescape by his psychiatrist after getting out of jail in order to help calm his anger and to help him get away from his alcohol addiction since the game acts as a distraction. He is now 6 years clean and has had no further offenses.
Adult Written bymonk174 November 4, 2011

You Can't Trust Everyone!

The game pretty addictive. This means it can take up a-lot of time. The violence is not that bad. There is no blood and no gore however it is still violence. Overall the game is pretty good. I should also mention though that the game has quite a few people who will attempt to rip you off by trying to get on your account. I never did that but I did do other things that made me untrustworthy to a certain extent. For example I sold a "magical burnt turkey" for 300 gold coins in game and a set of full armor. Now the magical burnt turkey was worthless because it was just a burnt turkey. That however has been fixed because of the fact they have a new trading system which tells you the value of each item. I also use to lure low level people to the wilderness when they didn't know I was just going to kill them. That was mainly because I was saying I would show them some cool area. That as well has been ruined because you are only able to pvp if in a pvp server. So most of those things are gone. How ever make it very clear to your kids never and I mean never give out there passwords no matter what the person says. I made that mistake once my self. They ended up taking all of my valuable stuff.
Parent Written byWolfgangDarkner October 8, 2011

To violent

Parents if you see your children on this game take em off.
Adult Written byClaytismo March 10, 2011
Adult Written byloves_coffee March 3, 2011

Jagex (runescape) changed since Febr. 1th. The filter was removed and I can see cybering/more than bad language in game. Changing the wildy gave luring, scamming, pj-ing and is allowed by Jagex. Jagex even made a t-shirt: I pk-ed ur mom. It turned from a safe into a bad game. If you like dishonesty, lack of ethics, competing against 1000's of botters you might like this game. It is absolutely not suitable for 16 yr and younger and not fun to play for the adults who seek for fair play.