Kid reviews for Scratch

Graphical application gives kids a taste of programming.

Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2010

Youtube for Kids!

I love scratch- I've been doing it for a year and a half now on my account, MagicRabbit. It's a perfectly fine website as long as kids have discipline. Kids can pretty much type whatever they want, but swear words and crap are filtered out. (Most kids get past it by spelling it with symbols replacing some letters- e.g.: [email protected]) As for projects, (basically the games, pictures, and animations) you still can post any content but other users WILL flag it if the Scratch Team doesn't get to it first. It's a lot like a YouTube for kids designed by M.I.T! You can 'love it' and 'favorite' a project as well as add tabs to categorize it. You also can add friends to your friends list (basically the 'subscription' button on youtube) Hop online and go there! scratch.mit.edu

Kid, 10 years old April 14, 2010

LOVE it!

i'm in love with this site! when i first made my account, i coudn't stop coming back even though at first i was a nobody but now i've made so much nice friends! plus it makes programming easy and fun, a 7 year old could do it! but some uploaded content may be innapropriate, it is flagged and removed immediately. btw my username there is flemzy
Kid, 9 years old February 12, 2011

awesome website!

This website is really cool! Some kids can post bad stuff like with swears or violence,but you can easily flag them and the people over at MIT can take them off the website...other than that its great!

Teen, 14 years old Written byEarlv March 28, 2016

Decent, easy coding site; stay away from the online community

I'm just going to say that this site is run by a group of stubborn, immature, over sensitive adults that have gotten too carried away with the strict rules of the site as it's become more popular. I suggest using this site as a fun, relaxing programming tool and a programming tool only. Don't get sucked into the online community, trust me. Everyone on the site may seem really nice and welcoming, but don't let them brainwash you like they've done to so many users. The Scratch Team basically brainwashes people into goody-two-shoes, rule-obsessed zombies. These people practically act as the ST's slaves as they go on Scratch for 20 hours a day without coding a single block. They desperately try to be nice and helpful, but most people overdo it, and they come off as desperate. Many people get so desperate for attention that they cause immature and unnecessary drama. The only way to make it is if you become one of the Scratch Team's zombies, becoming obsessed with the "Community Guidelines" and being creepily nice to everybody. If you try to fight against it, the Scratch Team will get on your case to "follow the Community Guidelines" and to "be more respectful" and to "follow the Community Guidelines," oh, and to "follow the Community Guidelines." Then, naturally, you'll want to know what you did wrong, because most likely, you did little to nothing wrong. The Scratch Team never SPECIFICALLY TELLS people what they did wrong. They're extremely vague and too stubborn to admit that they're punishing you for no real reason. They're just too over sensitive about those dang Community Guidelines. If you argue with the Scratch Team, they will ignore the good points you make and they will emphasize your weak points. If you finally do make a logical, sensible point, they will actually begin to ignore you because they'll know that you're right and they're wrong, but they'll be too stubborn to admit it. I like the coding aspects of this site, and I used to like the social aspect of it. The Scratch Team was doing a good job of enforcing their rules, but they mindlessly got carried away, and now, there's really no stopping them. Either become a mindless zombie-slave or stay away from the Scratch community entirely. Because if you try to be sensible, you'll most likely end up with your IP address being restricted from accessing Scratch. And if you ask why, you won't get an answer. Overall, Scratch is a pretty good program ruined by its online community which seems harmless on the surface, but is really a dark online place for kids to get brainwashed and not truly learn how to act in a society. I recommend Scratch for the coding aspect ONLY. DO NOT get sucked into the community. You'll regret it. Trust me.

Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2016

Fine. Just don't talk to people.

Jeez. I don't understand this website anymore. They take everything SUPER serious, and you can get banned for the dumbest reasons. The coding stuff is amazing and it works really well, just don't go talking to people. They may seem all nice and whatever, but when you think that their cool, your fighting, and then your banned. It's happened to me and a friend because of this one guy on the website. The scratch team wants everything 100% perfect. Or you go. "Oh no! This guy forgot to credit the guy who made the music in the project! Let's BAN HIM." Scratch team wants to make me pull my hair out, and cry. Congrats scratch. You ruined a nice coding program by brainwashing an entire community, so everything can be nice. Nice for you horrible people running the site at least. Also they watch your profile like a hawk. Be careful. They scare me.

Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2012

Beware

This is a great site. However, lots of personal information is shared, like pictures of yourself or your kids and ages and names. I've even seen people on the forums discussing where they live. Make sure to talk with your child about safety.

Kid, 10 years old September 29, 2013

GREAT - Just One Flaw

I think that this website is AMAZING, but when I create something, then view it, when I view it the next time, it is left as it was in the end of the first time.
Kid, 10 years old December 2, 2016

lame baby website

This website is really stupid. don't do it.

Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2016

Safe, clean, fun, educational!

Scratch is a fun website, I've been on for two years and have had a great time. Though there is a lot of political drama going on, so if you don't want to get wrapped up in that, it'd be best to stay away from it.

Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2011

Great Website!

I love it! It's really cool, it allows kids to show their creativity to the world.The controls will take some getting used to, but after a while, you'll be making all sorts of stuff.Kids can get past the swears with symbols (ex: [email protected]), but they're really mild.Great website, check it out.

Teen, 15 years old Written byayy March 3, 2017

Not really about programming anymore.

Scratch is a good website. However, over time it has reoriented itself as an "art" website, even taking partnerships with Cartoon Network to show off it's character building tools. One look at the front page will prove my point. It is plastered with mediocre "art" and "OC's". Block programming is useless. The greatest thing it will teach you is the structure of loops. Go on Sololearn.com if you want to learn real coding. One genuine complaint I have about Scratch is it's reliance on "safe spaces". You can not so much as criticize the work of someone on Scratch without getting blocked. However if you don't leave comments, you should be free from that. Remember, unless you want to make a new account, ONLY leave compliments. No matter how bad the work is. One kid here got my school IP banned. They didn't unban us until the the had seen the kid disciplined. I feel bad for him because he probably didn't even do anything bad, but some random spoiled brat in either the Scratch Team or the users found a a way to take offense and got him in trouble.
Kid, 11 years old June 19, 2013

BEST. PROGRAM. EVAR.

Title says it all. As for the violence, there is an occasional project you'll randomly find like "Kill Justin Bieber," but with nothing too graphic. Some users give warnings like "Rated PG for violence and mild KETCHUP." My little brother, who's 8, still can't do anything without my help.

Teen, 13 years old Written by30bla30 July 13, 2009

For all ages, but some projects are iffy

I'm a member of this site and the program is just awesome. Although Inappropriate content is flagged eventually, you can still see projects with language, violence, and sexual content beforethey are flagged, but you won't actually see that stuff unless you purposely search it

Teen, 13 years old Written byTraxeth November 10, 2014

Great for Learning Essential Skills

I have been on Scratch for almost a year, and the thing I think is best is the community. I am working on a big project with another user, so collaboration is a skill young kids will learn, as well as sequencing. Just a couple blocks of code out of order and the program won't work. However, it is very easy to correct your mistakes, as almost all of the blocks are extremely self-explanatory. Yeah, some kids can post violent / explicit content, but that can get flagged by any user, immediately notifying the Scratch Team who will delete the project if there is anything wrong with it. Overall, I strongly recommend this site.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfistofdeath September 4, 2012

Great Site!

This site rocks! It taught me, and teaches many others, the basics of programming, so they can movie onto other, more complicated languages. Despite it's simplicity, you can make very proffessional-looking games. The only downsides are some users posting innapropiate/violent projects, but these can get flagged. There is online interaction with the Scratch Forums, but not everybody uses it and they are mostly used for help. Overall, IT ROCKS!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byCheeseMunchy May 6, 2012

Scratch

The best website and program you will ever use. Great for kids to learn programming.

Kid, 12 years old February 26, 2015

An incredible website that teaches programming!

Scratch is a great, well-moderated website where you can play and make games, animations, art, stories, and more! Scratch is one of the rare sites with a strong, good community filled with many nice people! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a good place to get into programming.
Kid, 11 years old August 5, 2012

I LOVE SCRATCH

I LOVE YOU SCRATCH! YOU ARE THE BEST WEBSITE EVER!!!!!!!!! PLEASE MARRY ME SCRATCH!!!!

Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2012

Best website I have found

This website is the BEST!!!!! It allows people to make awesome project and upload them to their website. There are featured projects, views, love its, friends and so much more!!!!! Look and see for yourself!

Kid, 9 years old November 27, 2016

If I could give this 1,000,000,000 stars, I would.

OK, Scratch is awesome. It allows kids to have programming skills to mske games, animations, and more! I have been doing it for 9 months on my account monkeyorange. It's amazing, I love making games. It's also very safe. Overall, kid or adult, You should get an account. Get one now! Scratch.mit.edu