All parent member reviews for Second Life

Adult Written bylunag126 April 28, 2013

This game ruined my life, and quite possibly will ruin yours.

When I was 11, I was a lost soul. I had no friends, had depression, low self esteem, and was one of those mature looking, but inside very impressionable kids. One day I was browsing the Internet and came across this website, "Second Life." it looked like everything I had hoped for. New beginnings. A chance to be a pretty, sociable girl. Only problem? It was for 18+ only. I didn't think much of lying about my age. After all, I wasn't academically stupid and knew how to accurately portray an eighteen year old. Well, that was one of the most regrettable mistakes I've made. Ever. By the time I was eleven, I'd become a potty-mouthed, stupid, shopaholic, cybering addict who was failing all of her classes because she spent several hours a day chatting with shallow friends. I'm ashamed. That game is lime crack. It doesn't solve anything and does nothing but wreck you from the inside out. And, the horrifying thing is; I can't get off of this website, it's so boring, but so horrifyingly addicting. I'm only 13, and I feel as if I'm on a doomed road. I've told my parents about this and they've uninstalled it from my computer, but I know how to work a computer and how to hide the application from my parents. TL;DR-do not touch this game. It ruins lives.
Adult Written byCedric_Cross August 13, 2011

Immorality? In MY Secondlife? Deal with it.

Okay.... Why are children posting about this game? Well, no, not game, but still. Second life Has been an 18+ game for 8 years now. And yeah, there are a lot of horrible things on it. I know. I'm a user of three years now. And a developer. It's a little thing called common sense, people. When you create a sandbox environment like this, you can only expect people to do things like that. It's the internet but fully interactive.... in 3D. You learn how to avoid its' bad places and whatnot. If you enjoy those places, and you're over 18, more power to you. But I will tell you all this. THat place has taught me more about coding and 3D modeling than any book or website ever has. In the three years I've played, I can now create fully functioning AI, model an entire character, animation and all, and more. There is a teen grid with heavy restrictions on creations for younger folks who want to still get in on the good side of SL and personally I would rather join that if it weren't for my already successful business in the mainland programs and houses. And yes, you spend money on it, it's a fully functioning economy parallel to earth's. You can actually survive in real life off of your earnings in it if you're any good. Too long didn't read? -NO KIDS, IT'S AN 18+ GAME. -IT GIVES FULLS CREATIVE TOOLS INCLUDING A LIGHTWEIGHT SCRIPTING LANGUAGE ANYONE CAN LEARN, EXPECT DISTURBING CREATIONS. -LEARN TO DODGE THIGNS YOU DON'T LIKE, IT'S STILL THE INTERNET. -IT WAS MEANT AS A SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT FOR THE CREATIVE. LEAVE IT AT THAT. thank you.
Adult Written byahedge May 20, 2011

great
Parent Written byannoysrough January 16, 2013

LEARNING

Common sense is key.

It honestly irks me that a vicelike grip on such media is being enforced by perceived moral guardians. The NFK rating is definite; the open-world nature of this simulator definitely entails a myriad of immoral activity – anything from mundanely drinking a virtual cocktail (with no effect of drunkenness on either you or your avatar as far as experience has told me) to explicit, fetishist sex (I'm not joking at all). In spite of this, the possibility of encountering such an event should be nullified by the presence of ratings which can be easily blocked off (General, Mature, Adult) where necessary. It doesn't take parental control (where applicable) to stop it; it takes common sense and decency – I for one have yet to have any encounters with sex on SL because I do not even log on to Adult regions. Just on a side note: the site itself has great educational potential in the form of historical roleplay and virtual campuses as well; that's not possible to deny. Also, if you're under 16, why then are you on that website anyway?
Adult Written byArty August 25, 2012

LEARNING

Second Life Platform Age Appropriatness

I think Second Life Is a brilliant virtual world platform as it can connect you with different cultures and traditions; but it can also be dangerous if abused: by giving out sensitive information, such as email addresses, second-life can be enjoyed as long as it is used safely and by an appropriate age group(16+) Second life is mainly for adults aged 18 and over and most of the online shop content is for this age ONLY. Second Life is used to build objects and create brand new Sims, (user created 3D World.) Second Life has a currency which is used to purchase clothing etc.. and all items are categorized into G,M and A content. When logged into Second Life platform you have settings which allow you to enter different G,M and A sims.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 22, 2011

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bystarrparrent1 November 24, 2011

bad staff

moderators are supposed to be good at their job!
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byKellieG April 21, 2011

Not for kids, but very fun for Adults!

I personally have been playing SL for about 4 years now and still love it to this day. There is so much you can learn as far as creating things like poofers, clothes, houses etc etc. As for age, I don't think kids under the age of 16 should play, but that's just my opinion. It's really not a bad place to go. You can do the same thing in game that you can in real life, just everything is animated. I personally LOVE this game and will prolly play it till I die. =) Now as for kids... I don't think this is a kids game at all because of all the places you can go. Speaking from a parents prospective, I wouldn't let my child/teen on SL unless you watch closely of what goes on. As for adults, I believe its a very fun place to play.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 8, 2011

This website is a lot of fun and can be very educational for adults. I really don't know why they are rating it on this website, as it is not a website for kids. They used to have the teen grid for people 13-16 years old, but the teen grid is gone now. You can adjust your settings to only let you go to places that are General areas if you don't want to see any Mature or Adult oriented areas. If you set it to General, then it is appropriate for people 16-18 years old. As for the comments above about rape and sexual situations, you will not see these areas if you set your settings for General areas only. As with a lot of things, parents should monitor their children's settings and see where the kids go in-world. General areas do not have sex, violent situations, drinking or drugs, although there are a lot shopping areas in all the grid levels, so again, monitor what your children are doing. Teenagers could benefit from meeting people thier own age in the General areas, as well as benefit from the learning opportunities. SL is a lot of fun for children and adults as long as they are in the proper rating areas and the parents monitor what their child is doing. As for In-World safety, all you have to do is block a person if they are causing any problems. Blocking them will make them dissapear from your avatar's view and will keep them from messaging your Avatar or harrasing anyone. Like most things, parents common sense will be enough to keep their teens from being exposed to inappropriate things.