All parent member reviews for Second Life

Adult Written bylunag126 April 28, 2013

This game ruined my life, and quite possibly will ruin yours.

When I was 11, I was a lost soul. I had no friends, had depression, low self esteem, and was one of those mature looking, but inside very impressionable kids. One day I was browsing the Internet and came across this website, "Second Life." it looked like everything I had hoped for. New beginnings. A chance to be a pretty, sociable girl. Only problem? It was for 18+ only. I didn't think much of lying about my age. After all, I wasn't academically stupid and knew how to accurately portray an eighteen year old. Well, that was one of the most regrettable mistakes I've made. Ever. By the time I was eleven, I'd become a potty-mouthed, stupid, shopaholic, cybering addict who was failing all of her classes because she spent several hours a day chatting with shallow friends. I'm ashamed. That game is lime crack. It doesn't solve anything and does nothing but wreck you from the inside out. And, the horrifying thing is; I can't get off of this website, it's so boring, but so horrifyingly addicting. I'm only 13, and I feel as if I'm on a doomed road. I've told my parents about this and they've uninstalled it from my computer, but I know how to work a computer and how to hide the application from my parents. TL;DR-do not touch this game. It ruins lives.
Adult Written byCedric_Cross August 13, 2011

Immorality? In MY Secondlife? Deal with it.

Okay.... Why are children posting about this game? Well, no, not game, but still. Second life Has been an 18+ game for 8 years now. And yeah, there are a lot of horrible things on it. I know. I'm a user of three years now. And a developer. It's a little thing called common sense, people. When you create a sandbox environment like this, you can only expect people to do things like that. It's the internet but fully interactive.... in 3D. You learn how to avoid its' bad places and whatnot. If you enjoy those places, and you're over 18, more power to you. But I will tell you all this. THat place has taught me more about coding and 3D modeling than any book or website ever has. In the three years I've played, I can now create fully functioning AI, model an entire character, animation and all, and more. There is a teen grid with heavy restrictions on creations for younger folks who want to still get in on the good side of SL and personally I would rather join that if it weren't for my already successful business in the mainland programs and houses. And yes, you spend money on it, it's a fully functioning economy parallel to earth's. You can actually survive in real life off of your earnings in it if you're any good. Too long didn't read? -NO KIDS, IT'S AN 18+ GAME. -IT GIVES FULLS CREATIVE TOOLS INCLUDING A LIGHTWEIGHT SCRIPTING LANGUAGE ANYONE CAN LEARN, EXPECT DISTURBING CREATIONS. -LEARN TO DODGE THIGNS YOU DON'T LIKE, IT'S STILL THE INTERNET. -IT WAS MEANT AS A SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT FOR THE CREATIVE. LEAVE IT AT THAT. thank you.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 22, 2011
Adult Written byahedge May 20, 2011

great for kids 11&up

great
Parent Written byhannahs2 May 9, 2015

UH UH!

Save the time and play Fantage instead of this mess. Jump away. Sign out.
Adult Written bydjxpurity January 1, 2016

Adults Only - Don't Fall For The Parental Controls

Let me start off by saying, I've been playing this game actively as an adult for a very long time now and I still play every day, so I can tell parents from first hand experience what the game is like. This is no look and judge type of review! People like to tell you that there are parental controls on Second Life, but they are very, VERY weak and they only aid you in virtual shopping and exploring. They do not protect you from the players whatsoever. I've been playing this game as an adult for over a year and I would not want my future children to play this game, nor do I play this game with children present. This game is #1 by far very sexual, people turn to Second Life for sexual release when they can't get it at home. Some come off very aggressive and some even play out scenes of rape and sexual assault. Not only is it sexual from people looking for sex and having sex, mostly everyone is partially or fully nude wherever you go. Moderation on this game is really bare. When virtual shopping on the SL Marketplace, it is nearly impossible to look for a sweater for your avatar even with filters on without hundreds of genitals and people having sex popping up on your screen , you just can't get away from all the sex and all of the nudity. The consumerism only gets worse over the years, it seems you can't do anything in the game without someone wanting to sell you something. You can't enjoy the game without being pressured into it or someone making you feel obligated to buy something. Then there are people that become millionaires in real life off of the game by doing various things such as scripting and real estate that everyone wants to be like them, so you have millions of people with nothing but money and virtual currency on the mind. As far as drugs and booze, the club scene is just as you would expect it to be. Most virtual clubs are filled with strippers, sex on the dance floor, people smoking virtual joints and ordering pixelated bottles of Gin. Violence is also a big thing on here especially from those who are into the Gorean scene, zombie killing or just weaponry in general. My biggest warning to parents: There is unfortunately a large number of pedophilia cases on this game. These people not only target children in the real world, but they persuade people into dressing their avatar into children for their own disgusting sexual desires. I can not stress this enough that it does happen and even though Linden Labs (the creators of the games) strongly advises against it and encourages it's players to report these people, it is nearly impossible to stop all these cases, so it's best just to avoid it all together. So definitely, this is not for kids whatsoever. This game never will be for children. I've heard rumors of a child friendly grid, but I would never trust it. Steer clear at all costs.
Parent Written byjonhnnyroleplae December 7, 2015

ScamLife

Secondlife is a dying 3-world where Linden Lab-SL allows and promotes "escorts" (animated prostitution), it is defintely not for any minor. As you teleport from simulation to simulation be prepared for varying sim rules. For example, one sim only the sim owner can eject and or ban (means if you attempt to teleport there again you'll be denied access) while yet other sims certain group members can eject or ban you even without vaild justification. For example, if you put select sim/group members on block you could be banned from that particular sim. Yet another example, if you disagree with these empowered group-sim members be prepared to be ejected and or banned from that sim sight. This only one of many Secondlife "catch 22s." This 3-d world uses a currency called Linden dollars AKA L$, which you earn various ways in SL, or buy with a credit card. Here is where the manipulation begins too. SecondLife uses artificial intelligence (bots) usually what seasoned SL residents deem "insult bots" programmed to literally insult you in various way. One example: these insult bots will cut down your avatar appearance in hopes you will spend more L$ to improve/upgrade your current body and shape, which translates into more margin (profit) for Linden Lab-SL. As mentioned above you can be ejected and or banned from any sim for any reason, but there is way around it. All you have to do is create a "new" SL account, but you'll have to re-buy (spend more) all your items since none of it is transferable to a new account. See the manipulative pattern; however there is far more to SL than just their 3-world. SecondLife has a "Forum" website. SecondLife provides a forum site where SL announcements are posted, along with residents' questions and comments. Also, you can login into this site and alledgely post answers to residents questions. If you are really techy avoid this site; since SL heavily promotes use of Nvidia products (I am assuming Linden Lab-SL is either sponsored by Nvidia and or gets a kickback for promoting their products.) IF you attempt to post anything of technical facts that contradicts SL's heavy promotion of Nvidia, yes you guessed it you can be banned from the forum. Of course, there is a way around the forum ban, which you can probably guess by now. You'll have to create a new SL account to post again in SL's forum, but that is only the tip of the icebrg. While losing 100s of SL residents (users) they have gone through various CEOs too. The current CEO that I am aware of is Ebbe Altberg AKA "Ebbe Linden" who worked as a YAHOO executive for approximately four years. The Yahoo chatrooms no longer exist (closed.) What makes this interesting before Yahoo closed those chatrooms they posted (for all to see) they were tracking IP addresses, which most thought was to deter the pedophiles from preying on kids. No one realized that after Yahoo closed those rooms that names/info of all users would be SOLD to various online companies. Is it possible to expect the same style identity piracy when SL finally closes?? Will SecondLife survive? As many discover a former YAHOO executive now leads SL (most current CEO I am aware of..it is a revolving CEO door), varying sim rules, non stop SL manipulation to force you to spend more money along with dwindling number of SL users it is a simple answer. No
Educator Written byMezlet June 24, 2015

Mind Games

Please please do not let kids or even adults who are vulnerable use this game it is full of evil long term gamers who enjoy to manipulate and cause awful mind games with people. I have seen this and it has not been very pleasant. The gamers are mainly in all the clubs and sex areas which I totally disagree with they will approach people and start to groom them for various things which worries me a lot. There are some very nasty people and the company do not at all safe guard them and I am very concerned about the mind game element to the game which the company themselves think is not happening. It is and it can emotionally be a rollercoaster for people. Please please be very careful in this game if you wish to venture into it.
Parent Written byannoysrough January 16, 2013
LEARNING

Common sense is key.

It honestly irks me that a vicelike grip on such media is being enforced by perceived moral guardians. The NFK rating is definite; the open-world nature of this simulator definitely entails a myriad of immoral activity – anything from mundanely drinking a virtual cocktail (with no effect of drunkenness on either you or your avatar as far as experience has told me) to explicit, fetishist sex (I'm not joking at all). In spite of this, the possibility of encountering such an event should be nullified by the presence of ratings which can be easily blocked off (General, Mature, Adult) where necessary. It doesn't take parental control (where applicable) to stop it; it takes common sense and decency – I for one have yet to have any encounters with sex on SL because I do not even log on to Adult regions. Just on a side note: the site itself has great educational potential in the form of historical roleplay and virtual campuses as well; that's not possible to deny. Also, if you're under 16, why then are you on that website anyway?
Adult Written byArty August 25, 2012
LEARNING

Second Life Platform Age Appropriatness

I think Second Life Is a brilliant virtual world platform as it can connect you with different cultures and traditions; but it can also be dangerous if abused: by giving out sensitive information, such as email addresses, second-life can be enjoyed as long as it is used safely and by an appropriate age group(16+) Second life is mainly for adults aged 18 and over and most of the online shop content is for this age ONLY. Second Life is used to build objects and create brand new Sims, (user created 3D World.) Second Life has a currency which is used to purchase clothing etc.. and all items are categorized into G,M and A content. When logged into Second Life platform you have settings which allow you to enter different G,M and A sims.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bystarrparrent1 November 24, 2011

bad staff

moderators are supposed to be good at their job!
Adult Written byTitusaki November 20, 2011

My Review on Second Life.

I'm pretty sure that it is possible for anyone of any age to be able to join Second Life. Meaning that teens or possibly younger people will be exposed to the sexual things that are on Second Life. Sexual things like completely nude avatars that are detailed and that everyone is able to see. And may be exposed to sex poses as well. Second Life has a rating system of (G) General, (M) Moderate, and (A) Adult. Everyone I think may start off as (G) but it is easy to change the rating to (G) (M) and (A). Just go to the Online Website and lie about your age in 'Age Verification' to be able to change the rating to be able to go to Adult rooms and to be exposed to Adult things. You are only able to do the 'Age Verification' once. So if a person is a teen or younger and they do the 'Age Verification' correctly to their real age, then they can only do it once which will prevent them from going into an Adult room until they are truly and Adult. I'm currently 20 years old but I was 19 when I lied about my age in "Age Verification' to be able to change my rating to (G),(M), and (A), to be able to go to Adult rooms. Also in Second Life, there are certain rooms where people are able to take out weapons like guns and swords and actually be able to use them. Like to be able to shoot at people and at targets etc... When people shoot at people, no damage can be done that that person's avatar. All that can be done is annoying the person or just having fun. There are a few guns on Second Life that can shoot people up into the air and the only way to stop flying, is to teleport back to the same room, teleport to a different room, or to have a friend teleport you back to the same spot. One person on Second Life, that I didn't know, shot me into the air, I teleported back to the same spot and he continued to shoot at me over and over, which kept flinging me into the air. I got so frusterated that I tried to report him over and over to get rid of him, I tried to block him, but that didnt seem to work. Eventually he left and if I ever see him again, it will be paybacks because now I have the gun similar to what he had. Second Life may be laggy for certain computers. Second Life would not play smoothly on my old computer, but it plays smoothly on the new computer I have which is like a gaming computer. If people are not able to play Second Life, then they may go to another virtual chat site, which is IMVU, which plays pretty well on most peoples computers. Look more into IMVU if you want. Oh! and on Second Life, there is an awesome Historical Museum Room called 'The Holocaust Museum'. There you can learn about the Holocaust and Learn what had happened in that time. So also Second Life can also be Educational.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byKellieG April 21, 2011

Not for kids, but very fun for Adults!

I personally have been playing SL for about 4 years now and still love it to this day. There is so much you can learn as far as creating things like poofers, clothes, houses etc etc. As for age, I don't think kids under the age of 16 should play, but that's just my opinion. It's really not a bad place to go. You can do the same thing in game that you can in real life, just everything is animated. I personally LOVE this game and will prolly play it till I die. =) Now as for kids... I don't think this is a kids game at all because of all the places you can go. Speaking from a parents prospective, I wouldn't let my child/teen on SL unless you watch closely of what goes on. As for adults, I believe its a very fun place to play.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 8, 2011
This website is a lot of fun and can be very educational for adults. I really don't know why they are rating it on this website, as it is not a website for kids. They used to have the teen grid for people 13-16 years old, but the teen grid is gone now. You can adjust your settings to only let you go to places that are General areas if you don't want to see any Mature or Adult oriented areas. If you set it to General, then it is appropriate for people 16-18 years old. As for the comments above about rape and sexual situations, you will not see these areas if you set your settings for General areas only. As with a lot of things, parents should monitor their children's settings and see where the kids go in-world. General areas do not have sex, violent situations, drinking or drugs, although there are a lot shopping areas in all the grid levels, so again, monitor what your children are doing. Teenagers could benefit from meeting people thier own age in the General areas, as well as benefit from the learning opportunities. SL is a lot of fun for children and adults as long as they are in the proper rating areas and the parents monitor what their child is doing. As for In-World safety, all you have to do is block a person if they are causing any problems. Blocking them will make them dissapear from your avatar's view and will keep them from messaging your Avatar or harrasing anyone. Like most things, parents common sense will be enough to keep their teens from being exposed to inappropriate things.