Parent reviews for Stardoll

Dress-up doll fun with safe features for younger users.

Adult Written byrys April 10, 2011

If sex, money and greed is something you want your kids to learn, this site is perfect for them.

Okay, good things first. Kids love dressup dolls, and this site has lots of them.

It also has plenty of free flash games - that don't really have any educational value, mostly time wasters.

This site is rife with swearing, attempted hackings, greed and consumerism.

There are language filters but they are easily passed. Things like LEZ ONLY, se%, come find a bf/gf, partay biiiitchezzz are all over the chats. There are predators everywhere attempting to hack other users by way of offering free items and makeovers in exchange for email addresses and passwords. One word, "GREED".

The currency in this site is "stardollars" - which users can get 5 per day by voting, or they are purchased. There is heavy competition to be the most materialistic, and a very big push to be part of the "elite" crowd. Clothing in this crowd ranges from 50sd - 500sd.

Customer service is pathetic, all this corporation cares about is raking in cash.

I can't really see that there is anything on this site a parent would want their children to learn.

Adult Written byabatonfan July 10, 2013

Safe game if you stay far from the rest of the community

I have been playing for roughly a year and feel that parents will need to moderate their children if they want to perform any of the social actions on Stardoll, such as joining clubs and chat rooms. The main point of the game is to buy, buy, and buy some more; real-life brands are often displayed and new users are bombarded with Stardoll promoting its premium memberships. User-created content can be an issue, such as users creating female cleavage (and sometimes full naked bodies), cigarettes, and other inappropriate items. The community is filled with younger children who desperately try to act like the older, sometimes inappropriate, users. Online dating and virtual sex is a large issue, and some chat rooms are created for the purpose of finding a boy or girlfriend. Users can bypass the filter and use obscene language as well as reveal personal information like full names and locations. Overall, Stardoll is a decent game if you engage in the non-social parts of the game, but once a user ventures into the chat rooms and clubs, issues like sexual behaviors, foul language, inappropriate user content, and privacy issues can become a concern.

Adult Written byLechuvie May 4, 2012

Is unsafe, they turn a blind eye on every problem a user has.

It is not really a good site for children nor teenagers, this site promises to keep the children safe, from bullies for example BIG LIE, they only act when a spam or scam is running on the site, but when a user is annoying other stardoll turns a blind eye, and says "Sorry we cannot interfer in internal fights" !!!, all that happens inside this site is their responsibility, and they should delete all the abusive people from the site, each and every "Hate Doll" should be erased and permanently banned from this site, if you want your kids around twisted minds that scare even an adult of my age let them have a doll on this site.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 15-year-old Written byVerylovingmom August 7, 2013

Why!?

My 7 year old daughter was looking up dress up sites one day and she came across stardoll , it had a photo of a doll avatar draped with makeup and jewelry what little girl wouldn't want to create there own little online person? My daughter signed up and got started right away she got free coins and headed right to the shop, there was many clothing that she wanted to buy but she couldn't because she wasn't a superstar , she begged me to get her a membership and I put my foot down she could buy cute stuff even if she wasn't one. Then after that she saw the chat sign she clicked and she couldn't access it because she was under 13 she got so sad so she made another account now this is where I started to pay more attention (because why would you have to be over 13?) I thought to myself she started chatting and after awhile it was a superstar only party my daughter joined she didn't know and since I guess you can tell people told her to get out (started cussing at her) and was just plan rude even worst when guys came on girls would crowd around them and people would brag how they had member ships I quickly deleted her account.

Adult Written byRose12131 December 16, 2020

A HIGHLY Addicting Game but NOT for little Kids

I have played stardoll since 2012. I am now 20 and still come back to this game once in a while. The bad side are the Users and wasting so much money. Stardoll is all about looks and Fashion. Which means players constantly want new clothes for their dolls, new makeup, new hair etc.. That's what it's all about. And there aren't many ways you could earn stardollars to afford most of those things. (200sd costs about $4 which is only enough for a new hair) Players have spent a lot of their time and money in this game. However, Stardoll likes to permanently delete accounts after 3 months of Inactivity without a warning. Which is the worst part. I do not recommend this game for little kids, Some users chat in a sexual manner and dress inappropriately. There is also a lot of bullying.

Adult Written byRomy9 November 3, 2020

This game changed my childhood in a very good way

I'm a 25 year old women and i played this game when i was a child for 6 years straight, and i don't understand why stardoll has so many negative reviews.

My experience was very positive and i cant see how this platform is harmful to children in any way.

I started to play this game when i was 10 and had a lot of fun and i didn't came across bad influences at any moment during my time on this game.

This game give opportunity for children to create friends in a very safe way, way more safe then social media.

I met my best friend on this game and im very thankful that this game gave me the opportunity to meet her there.

We both have a very good experience with stardoll and can only talk positive about it.

We both payed for a diamond membership account ( right now the name changed to royalty membership i think) and at that time it was 30 euro per 6 month, in my opinion very affordable.

I hear critic about parents that the game is too expensive but i find this very strange, nowadays children have all kinds of expensive electronics and brand clothing.
I think if you let your child play this game it will influence their lives for the better.
Adult Written byRafaelaCarita October 9, 2019

Ive played this game for 7 years and it just gets worse

This game isn't for children, don't allow your kids to play, it has so much innopriate language and themes that children shouldn't be exposed to, consumerism runs this website unless you're royalty which I made the mistake of becoming, you don't get anything and unless you look a certain way you're excluded and shunned by other dolls going as far as to bully you constantly with the staff doing nothing to stop them, I spent hours trying to earn stardollars on that game to buy some cool hairstyles for my doll only to get scammed by another doll try to report to stardoll with no avail they don't care even if you're using the paid service, had a creepy guy ask to see my chest area and trying to scam me its a disgusting game, I'm a professional stylist and make up artist with qualifications and I feel as tho that game has so much potential but it's just going to go down hill from here Im actually thinking of creating my own and making it better than stardoll ever was.

Adult Written byLizthepanda June 29, 2019

This game is money greedy and inappropriate

This game likes to delete accounts for no reason without notifying like for example: a account hasn't log on like a month ago. The people who brought a membership on this game had their accounts deleted, so this says Stardoll is money greedy when there's a lot of people spent hundreds on this game to only found out that their accounts were deleted for not logging on for ONE month. Not to mention also this game has a lot of glitches and bugs (Stardoll still hasn't fixed this problem). If I was you I wouldn't wasted my money on this game. Also the help section in this game is not helpful like before. Stardoll provides bad costumer service and a lot of bad things are happening such as stolen accounts and you may have to deal with bullies (in chatrooms) or general rude people who uses strong languages and the service is very horrible when it comes down to reporting users. I would not recommend this game to anyone (even children! due to the fact how these dolls dressing inappropriate and the strong languages in the chatrooms). So please do not wasted time on this game!

Adult Written byMarkklee May 5, 2019
Very weird people on there, watch your kids with the party and chat options and dont bother to pay for a superstar membership.

Adult Written byAnonyD November 14, 2018

Worst costumer service

Well site wasnt bad, but as staff usually ignorant and refusetalking and discussion many terrible things are happening right now, no work on glitches, no updates for more than 4 years, no news on flash issue.
Its about to end but if you're ready to spend your money and time and expect nothing back and having to handle too much bugs then go ahead and play.
You will also have to deal with bullies and rude people and expect no help.
And lastly site is not safe yet staff say its enough securing certian pages yet i believe at least sittings page should be secured like payment and signing up, and some members did get hacked without doing anything.

here's all issue simplified :
Not sure, but in my whole Internet use, dealing with other games costumer services or sites in general never seen as terrible and as unhelpful staff like stardoll.
- Anything happen it's 100% your fault, their rules is kindergarten rules, so you're treated as child fault is fault no way they are wrong ever and they filled their social media saying they never do wrong decisions and no one should trust anyone who say otherwise. not wise move to write such thing.
- When you face issue expect no help, you will get handled by many staff and non of them keep track of your issue, each one will give different answers and leave you confused or even going to wrong turns into issue leading to much bigger issues.
- Hacks require auto codes detection, yet there's no auto detection and they deal with slow and if it's on weekend no act to clean, and if you're hacked it's 100% your fault even if you did nothing(even most smart of us get hacked because some nasty codes injection can be so strong to be noticed/stopped not to mention I heard many holes at least from stardoll FB), not to mention they ban innocent members or for tiny mistakes instead of those nasty people.
- When they get stuck finding reply they claim that members harass them, in my opinion harassment is a big word to use, we are not criminals, its expected to find your costumer angry when you're not willing to help or giving wrong answers for months/years.
- They spy sometimes and use members words against them, at least they did that with me and touched private issues and claimed that it is what members reported about, sorry but whatever happened they have no right to use my words or what others say against me or go personal with me without my consent, that's privacy breach and I deserve to report actually.
- They do not handle bullies most of the times and victims who get punished instead of bullies.

Now to technical part:
- We pay for nothing, nothing gets updated, and seems like site falling part over time.
- It had great potential and could go to far better more than a regular dress, they can take it to both commercial by actually advertising real brands and place to encourage fashion and young artist by offering our work to real brands, many great artist found their way and discovered by online help/advertisement, but instead it's 100% dress up pay to win site.

Members:
- filled with nasty members.
- It seems like staff discriminate they listen to certain people more than others, whether you're royalty or not, they do not seem to deal with certain people even if they broke rules and allow them continue their wrong actions.

Adult Written bylxser.z October 17, 2018

Everyone seems to have the wrong idea about this site.

I've been playing stardoll for 4 years. As a 13 year old girl, I think stardoll is appropriate for teens 12 and up. As kids get older, at school, reality is, we are way more exposed to bad things in our school classrooms than in a dress up game. Of course, not everything can be rainbows and sunshine. Kids will have to grow up eventually and we will always stumble upon something not appropriate. It's just life. Online friends are awesome! It gives you a different perspective about life in other states,countries etc. This is why though I believe that if you're under 12, chances are you shouldn't be playing this game. 12 year old boys and girls normally know what's wrong and right. If someone is talking inappropriately to your child, he/she should know to report it, block the person, and tell a trusted adult about it. Honestly, it all depends on how mature your kid is. Stardoll is a safe site. They block out all bad words so if you type one, it will be blocked with stars. If you break their rules more than 3 times, your account is immediately deleted without any chance to get it back. Just make sure you trust your kids and take the time to tell them about the dangers of online sites and chatting with strangers.

Adult Written byWeirdoPando September 11, 2018

Misunderstood

I am an adult player on Stardoll and I have been for 8 years. This site is super unique. There is a lot of dressing up, interior design, beauty, album design, and other things that you can do on this site. I have made some of my closest friends through this site, even. I think people mainly just misunderstand Stardoll. The community is NOT as toxic as everyone here is making it out to be. Those are anecdotes and they are few and far between. As an adult player, I feel it is my responsibility to look out for younger players, and a lot of people feel the same way I do. Yes, some people get around the language censor, but those people are not liked at all on the site, and most of them are ages 13-15 years old. They are immature. This is what immature kids do behind their parents back. If you think your kids don't, you're doing nothing but lying to yourself.

As far as the "consumerism," yes. There is consumerism. This is a free site, they have to make money to pay their employees somehow, but you are not required to pay ANYTHING to still enjoy playing. I didn't buy a membership until I had already been on the site for 7 years, and I only bought it as a treat to myself. This site is a great way to teach kids how to save for the things they want, as you can earn Stardollars by doing surveys.

And as far as inappropriate StarDesign items, you can report these items, and they are removed from Stardoll and the user is deleted within 72 hours. You have to remember this is a global site, so they get flooded with messages and it takes time for them to go through it all. They are only human, after all.

Overall, this is a great site, and I am happy to be a part of it. Just like any site, monitor your child while they use it. Just be smart.

Adult Written byTania S. May 29, 2018

Too addictive

Too addictive, very consume oriented, distracting from reality, over sexualised clothes, too many adult players interacting with minors and forcing their own beliefs and moral values on them via the chat function. Definitely not something to recommend as it is a huge money and time waster for both children and adults. You can sit in front of the screen for many hours and then you are like having been hospitalised for a long time. Makes you a total video games addict and doesn't contribute to develop a good personality at all, nor is it good for spending your free time at it. Stay away from it, keep your children away of such websites with any means possible!!!

Adult Written byBeckstar May 9, 2018
I was on it when I was a teen. I’m now in my later 20’s. Back then it was bad. I was slightly bullied too...lots of scams.....some sex content from those disobeying the rules. The cost to join is super expensive. I wasted so much money. I don’t even see the point of dressing a virtual doll?
Lots of brand names on the site.

Adult Written bysimpsonsfan22 February 8, 2017

Great app

Stardoll is great it does include money but there is no gambling sexual content or violence some stores have skimpy clothes showing parts of the breasts but that is all so I rate it ages 10+ for both males and females. It's a great game

Adult Written byAnna W. January 2, 2017

Much what you could expect

There are online games similar to this one and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Stardoll works for kids as young as 7, but as a parent you need to remember to supervise. That is common sense and goes with any online games your child would play. The rule enforcement seems to be just about as good and just about as bad as on any other online game I've tried - inappropriate and offensive content is not always reported and not always removed when reported, and Stardoll staff sometimes delete accounts on the basis of just one or two reports, false or not, but I'd like to point out that this is in no way unique to Stardoll. Best way to have your child play safe in any of these games is to set up your own account and play together.

Adult Written bySophia4826 September 29, 2015

What I think of Stardoll

Stardoll is a online fashion game for girls created in 2004. It is a really good game for girls to express style and have fun designing clothes etc. But there is a downside. There are crazy people everywhere. Lots of people who are crazy. Mean superstar partays and stuff. I think stardoll is a great place to decorate your suite and design stuff. If your child is 7 years or younger keep them on kidsafe. I personally probally will stay kidsafe for a long time. I hope this review helped you.

Adult Written byCats.Eaton July 11, 2015

A lot of bullying

If your child is on the sensitive side this site isn't for them it's full of bullying and reporting users doesn't do anything. There are also older teens who like to troll this site and talk about inappropriate things.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written bymoosesaj June 18, 2015

REALLY?!

Ok this is seriously the most annoying game EVER. I can't stand how kids think they can be like this. So perfect and pretty. Even MY child can't be that way, and that's saying alot. Don't even SAY its kid friendly because we all know its not. I mean SERIOUSLY? What's with all the innapropriate content? And i even let my kid play Hay Day. We all know how innapropriate Hay Day is!!!! So be warned. On this game, your kid has no limits. They can buy NAIL POLISH for goodness sakes!!! That stuff is highly toxic. You may think I'm being overprotective, but beware of this game. Its full of stealing and lies. My kid bought some"mascara" from the star store and it didn't take it out of her star coins for almost 2 Seconds!!! It should immediatly erase the money your child spends so us parents don't think its stealing. Yeah Stardoll, that's right! call me crazy, but this is coming from a sincere parent who actually cares about their kid and their mental health. No way do i approve.

thank you to all you grateful parents for always sticking by your child when times get rough on these games. Love ya, parents!!!!
sincerely,Katherine Applebee the third

Parent Written bySafetyMom123 June 25, 2014

Safety Quiz

On stardoll, there is a safety quiz in the 'Dress Up & Games' section. I had my daughter take the quiz and she got an 100% so I let her play. I gave her a small quiz about online safety every time I wanted her to join a game. Nothing has happened since.