Parent of a 5, 7, and 15 year old Written byVerylovingmom August 7, 2013

Why!?

My 7 year old daughter was looking up dress up sites one day and she came across stardoll , it had a photo of a doll avatar draped with makeup and jewelry what little girl wouldn't want to create there own little online person? My daughter signed up and got started right away she got free coins and headed right to the shop, there was many clothing that she wanted to buy but she couldn't because she wasn't a superstar , she begged me to get her a membership and I put my foot down she could buy cute stuff even if she wasn't one. Then after that she saw the chat sign she clicked and she couldn't access it because she was under 13 she got so sad so she made another account now this is where I started to pay more attention (because why would you have to be over 13?) I thought to myself she started chatting and after awhile it was a superstar only party my daughter joined she didn't know and since I guess you can tell people told her to get out (started cussing at her) and was just plan rude even worst when guys came on girls would crowd around them and people would brag how they had member ships I quickly deleted her account.
Adult Written byrys April 10, 2011

If sex, money and greed is something you want your kids to learn, this site is perfect for them.

Okay, good things first. Kids love dressup dolls, and this site has lots of them. It also has plenty of free flash games - that don't really have any educational value, mostly time wasters. This site is rife with swearing, attempted hackings, greed and consumerism. There are language filters but they are easily passed. Things like LEZ ONLY, se%, come find a bf/gf, partay biiiitchezzz are all over the chats. There are predators everywhere attempting to hack other users by way of offering free items and makeovers in exchange for email addresses and passwords. One word, "GREED". The currency in this site is "stardollars" - which users can get 5 per day by voting, or they are purchased. There is heavy competition to be the most materialistic, and a very big push to be part of the "elite" crowd. Clothing in this crowd ranges from 50sd - 500sd. Customer service is pathetic, all this corporation cares about is raking in cash. I can't really see that there is anything on this site a parent would want their children to learn.
Parent Written byMellie Manner June 25, 2012

Parents, gosh! Please just let your kid play!

Sheesh. I play on Stardoll 24/7. No sex, language or any rude crud. Some things are rude but you have a choice to see it. It's not like an online chatting game. Its dressing up. If you wanna see language go to the party rooms IF you want. You have a choice. Gosh.
Adult Written byabatonfan July 10, 2013

Safe game if you stay far from the rest of the community

I have been playing for roughly a year and feel that parents will need to moderate their children if they want to perform any of the social actions on Stardoll, such as joining clubs and chat rooms. The main point of the game is to buy, buy, and buy some more; real-life brands are often displayed and new users are bombarded with Stardoll promoting its premium memberships. User-created content can be an issue, such as users creating female cleavage (and sometimes full naked bodies), cigarettes, and other inappropriate items. The community is filled with younger children who desperately try to act like the older, sometimes inappropriate, users. Online dating and virtual sex is a large issue, and some chat rooms are created for the purpose of finding a boy or girlfriend. Users can bypass the filter and use obscene language as well as reveal personal information like full names and locations. Overall, Stardoll is a decent game if you engage in the non-social parts of the game, but once a user ventures into the chat rooms and clubs, issues like sexual behaviors, foul language, inappropriate user content, and privacy issues can become a concern.
Parent Written byCVP January 4, 2013

Stardoll is a company out of Sweden & is stealing from Americans!!!

My kid's have been playing on Stardoll for just over a year. We have spent well over $200 per child for them to build their online worlds. We noticed we kept getting $3 charges for star dollars that we had not purchased. My mother-in-law had also purchased star dollars as a one time purchase for a gift for the grand-kids good report cards. She has been getting charges of about $3 a month for supposed star dollar purchases as well though my kids did not receive any additional star dollars on their accounts. We emailed stardoll to inquire about these charges and they deleted our kids accounts. They were very rude and refused to help us to resolve the problem. They kept all of the money we have put into these accounts and said that the kids would just have to start over. This is unacceptable business practice. This company has no integrity! Consumers... Be warned!!!
Parent Written byLechuvie May 4, 2012

Is unsafe, they turn a blind eye on every problem a user has.

It is not really a good site for children nor teenagers, this site promises to keep the children safe, from bullies for example BIG LIE, they only act when a spam or scam is running on the site, but when a user is annoying other stardoll turns a blind eye, and says "Sorry we cannot interfer in internal fights" !!!, all that happens inside this site is their responsibility, and they should delete all the abusive people from the site, each and every "Hate Doll" should be erased and permanently banned from this site, if you want your kids around twisted minds that scare even an adult of my age let them have a doll on this site.
Parent Written bySafetyMom123 June 25, 2014

Safety Quiz

On stardoll, there is a safety quiz in the 'Dress Up & Games' section. I had my daughter take the quiz and she got an 100% so I let her play. I gave her a small quiz about online safety every time I wanted her to join a game. Nothing has happened since.
Educator Written byKarinP April 8, 2014

A money machine for the owners

I have tested Stardoll myself, and I think that it's mainly a money making machine. As a member of Stardoll one gets new e-mails from Stardoll promoting 'new' fashion sales every day and it isn't easy to resist. It takes about 25 USD per 1-2 months to keep up with new developments which are mainly centered around spending starcoins and stardollars, and starcoins frequently have to be transformed in stardollars (more expensive) when buying new items. Of course the fashion one may buy for starcoins is of much lesser quality and beauty, and to get a good outfit one easily has to spend 25 to 50 stardollars. In one case I even didn't receive some fashion I bought from another member on the so-called 'bazaar', I complained to get what I bought, but never received an answer nor the item I had bought. On another occasion I received an answer telling me that my language is not supported. There are more features that help to spend money, like for example the yearbook, where one has to complete tasks that require spending more stardollars really fast. The baseline is that stardoll promotes superficial values like beauty, money, clothes, expensive property and having to be a real doll as well as having to compete and to win all the time. It also gives a frustrating message of not being noticed in the masses of 3 million members independent of whatever one has done. Plus it isn't enough to buy stardollars, one has to spend more monthly (between 6-9 USD per month) to be a superstar and to participate in certain features like making money as a stylist (one doesn't make a lot of money, since most of money from the sales of stylists goes to Stardoll of course). There is also a surprise renewing payment that isn't announced by e-mail to the owner if choosing the wrong option. The advantage of stardoll is that it has some limited creativity features and it helps to learn how to promote oneself on the internet, basically that one has to be ever-present sending around broadcasts for 5 stardollars each, or one will simply not be noticed. There are many contests at stardoll, and the winners are not even necessarily the best, but just an expression of average taste. Another drawback are potential verbal attacks by other 'competing' members.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 4, 2013

STARDOLL

It's kind of bad kid of good. I will give my ups and downs. UPS: It teaches kids to design, I saw my 8 year old make Hello Kitty glasses on StarDesign! They could design albums however they want and add all sorts of celebs, icons, and texts. They could do sceneries with all their friends or celebrities, use speech bubbles to make them talk, and design the background and choose what clothes for their dolls. They could dress their doll however they want! They learn the basics and creativity of design and fashion! They can design hairstyle in all sorts of colors, It's mainly expressing yourself and having fun! There is little chatrooms for the girls to stay and chat or play quizzes and dress-up contests. There is Kid-safe mode for kids under 13, which helps me, so there is an email informing me and I could manage the account and put KidSafe if I wanted to. They can make clubs and put special sceneries, make forums with other players, and have a presentation they can design by themselves. They can design their suite however they want! They have a cute styling studio which they use to style other designers! They could dress up dolls, compete in polls, go shopping and learn how to do different make-up styles, make their stardoll their dream girl, send them to fashion school and do fun quests, sell things in their own shop in their closet, or made by them! DOWNS: My 10 and 8 year old constantly beg me for membership, You see here there is some limits to things and it's to make them get money, but one time my 10 year old tried to sneak buying a membership past me, are you guys desperate? No limits can go out of hand! My 8 year old was browsing her friends, and on a friend's presentation, there was a photo, and the girl was SMOKING. SMOKNG?! Not appropriate! Another one of them had a "middle finger" a shirt that said "dope" he had a can that said "graffiti" and he had a hat that said "BoyBiitchez" I do not want my 8 year old to be a gang! She almost rushed to design the leaf. Not all discussions in forums are safe! People can sneak bad words through by separating them or using "." sometimes they come out uncensored! There are even nasty "life" stories. I thought your life was personal! There is some rating games on forums where they "rate" dolls. One girl rated my 10 year old's stardoll 1/10, and my 10 year old felt bad, she called the girl 0/10 then ugly, then the girl used bad words and started rating her lower and lower. Not nice! The moderation of stardoll is not that good... I found an anarachist club that sneaked in. Luckily that club was banned, but that was highly inappropriate. There's also a lot of teenagers that wear crops tops, super short shorts, and they sometimes say bad words, look like gangs, or use text talk. I don't want my 8 year old learning from them! There's also some name calling and disagreements in forums.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... September 25, 2010

Perfect for preteens until a young women!!!

My daughter loves it. But there can be mild swearing or saying offensive things about other people. And there is this club called V nightclub and its TOTALY inaproprite. But i check my daughters site monthly. I love stardoll as much as a 10 yr. old girl would. BE CAREFUL! its addicting!
Parent Written byWAParent April 8, 2013

Not Secure Place for Children

My daughter's account was hacked and accessed by another user, who then promptly sold herself my daughter's doll "belongings" for a nominal price. When notified, Stardoll said they would not help with this situation. This is highly unfortunate, as my 10 year old daughter really enjoyed the site. She also spent her allowance on this site for several months, and the products that she purchased were stolen by another user. Account security for stardoll cannot be trusted, nor their response to our situation. The ability to hack into another user's account also could negatively impact your child's online identity and could present safety issues.
Parent Written byStardoll Watchdog February 17, 2014

Awful Customer Service

This site is terrible for customer service. It's not safe for children. They have all these One Stop rules but don't enforce them. Members who pay a lot of money can get away with all kinds of bad behavior and aren't deleted. If they are, they are allowed back on after a few days. If they do get deleted, they just return with a new account. The site is awful for young children. They apparently can't or won't block IP addresses of the worst offenders. Bullying, theft, inappropriate artwork aren't caught quickly enough because they have poor follow up and customer service isn't even staffed on the weekends from what I can tell. DO NOT allow children on this site. This is not a safe site. There are no consequences for bad behavior and the result is, users learn there really aren't consequences for their bad behavior.
Parent Written bysoso15 December 18, 2013

Kidsafe zone is a joke

I'm really shocked at the amount of sexual references in the chat areas on Stardoll. It's dead easy to register an account. There isn't even a need to verify email addresses. Kidsafe zone is a joke. Stardoll states that kids under 13 will be placed in Kidsafe zone. That's not true. Kids under 13, when they register for a new account, are instantly given deactivated Kidsafe zone accounts, so they can partake in all the chat conversations on Stardoll. They can activate Kidsafe by going to their account settings and clicking a button. But the account can be just as easily deactivated by children by going back to account settings and clicking a button. Parents or responsible adults are not required to authorise these requests. So basically, Kidsafe zone is joke.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bykalauati12 December 30, 2010

how much i love it so much! :) n this is good for older kids ! not teens

i love iitt!! and don't be a hater ok peoples :)
Parent Written bystardoll2510 December 6, 2012

positive side of stardoll

its a great website, and my kids go on it. some 13-16yr olds have sex on it. if you dont want your kids to be doing that, make them kid safe and ban them from chatrooms . dont add anyone, but just have fun exploring fashion and trends. Give them a limited time to go on it. I gave my kids 20 minutes for it, then homework and craft.
Adult Written bymarclare December 31, 2011

Ehhhhh...

I might sound like an over protective parent for doing so, but when my daughter was obsessed with stardoll, I made an account to check it out, and I wasn't happy. First of all, it has so much consumerism, it's not even funny. People sell their old stuff, there are ads everywhere, and the members with the most money are the most popular. Then, there are the online bf's. I personally think that it's sick to have virtual sex. I don't know about you, but dating someone that may or may not really be a 17 year old boy online using swear words in code isn't my kind of "fun". That brings me to the code swear words. Members use slexy or s3xy or even se%y. BUT... Then there's the positive side. There's the dressup dolls, the games, and the decorating. It's cute, and let me say funm,but some content is definatley mature.
Parent Written byewe2lambs March 30, 2011

not sure about this one at all

well we have two things with this game thing here - the imaginary stuff is great our dd loves creating new dolls and seeing how everything fits together, however the whole materialistic side of this is appalling, having to pay to be a superstardoll really just makes me mad - the role playing part is a bit iffy too, hmm just not sure about this one at all.
Educator and Parent Written byShookadai September 16, 2012

It actually is free...

If you're willing to pay money you can get a lot more stuff a lot more quickly, but you don't really need to. You can earn up to 40 Starcoins a day just by clicking around the website, playing minigames, etc. Stardollars, the "real money" can also be gotten freely by clicking on "Earn Stardollars" and taking online survey for Stardoll "money". You won't get rich overnight, and if your kid is only interested in the shopping, then this limits how much time they can really spend on the website each day. Isn't that kind of a good thing? ;D
Parent of a 11 year old Written byhannah rocks October 5, 2010

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

i like it alittle bit
Educator Written byAnna W. January 2, 2017

Much what you could expect

There are online games similar to this one and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Stardoll works for kids as young as 7, but as a parent you need to remember to supervise. That is common sense and goes with any online games your child would play. The rule enforcement seems to be just about as good and just about as bad as on any other online game I've tried - inappropriate and offensive content is not always reported and not always removed when reported, and Stardoll staff sometimes delete accounts on the basis of just one or two reports, false or not, but I'd like to point out that this is in no way unique to Stardoll. Best way to have your child play safe in any of these games is to set up your own account and play together.