Parent reviews for Five Nights at Freddy's

Terrifying psychological thriller is too much for kids.

Adult Written byfire in the kindle November 23, 2014

Really scary really!

It is a good game for teens. However, the background story isn't. So one day a guy dresses up as a character from the restaurant and lures kids into the back to murder them. To hide their bodies he puts them in the robots. Over time people notice blood coming out of the robots mouth.

If you look around on the later nights the poster of the 4 kids laughing turn into 4 kids crying. When you know the story the game is SO much scarier.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byRagein Gagein July 31, 2019

You people need to CHILL.

Okay, so basically I like to read parent reviews on my favorite games and there is always the stupid ones. I saw one that said "Hate god love the devil" was being said in their child's mind. That has nothing to do with the game! If your child has a mental problem don't blame it on the game! I've seen people that say "My child watched it and they had nightmares" First of all, they should have played the game before watching YouTube videos of it. The actual game isn't that lenient with the story. You will catch odd glimpses of the true things going on in Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, but that happens rarely. Second of all, MONITOR YOUR KIDS. DON'T JUST PUT ON YOUTUBE KIDS AND LET IT AUTOPLAY! If your child draws strange things that are related to the game, your child already had peoblema,. Now if your child is a fellow theorist they will know about the story of the game. If your child is interested in finding the secret story of some games and they are below 8.... Maybe don't let them play it. Look up "FNaF storyline" on YouTube and you will know the actual story of the game. The game has Jumpscares and some creepy moments but overall I think it's good for 8 year olds and up. If they don't care about the story maybe 6 year olds could play it if they don't get too scared and cry in a corner.
Adult Written byrhysweinfurter December 6, 2014

Talk About It

If you have mature 12/13 year old this game is fine. I would definitely start playing it together at first and both remember that this game is a work of fiction with very fictional characters. I would not recommend this game for children and teens who have or have previous fears of clowns, animals, stuffed animals and sudden noises/sounds as this game has characters and noises that could trigger those fears again. The background story is very disturbing for some as children are "supposedly" murdered at the pizza place. Talk about this with your child before you even try playing the game with them but don't even think or tell them you don't think they can handle it. This puts them down and makes them only want to play it more. Never play before bed or in the dark as this makes the illusion more real. If you or your child are doubting yourselves don't play!

Adult Written byOppyrational June 25, 2019

Overreacting

The game is excellent for children 12 and older, provided they are not easily scared or suffer from epilepsy. The game has simple mechanics, a good atmosphere, and provides just enough tension for kids to enjoy the scares. The jumpscares are definitely not fit for younger audiences, but then again, even if younger kids were to play the game, so long as they are not easily frightened, it can still be enjoyable to play. I believe the main issues parents are having pertaining to this game are the facts that their younger kids are incapable of distinguishing fact from fiction, and often suffer more as a result of the scares than an older kid would. That aside, parents are horrified at the backstory of the game. Something worth noting is that there are no clear in-game hints pertaining to the actual backstory of the game aside from a single poster that can easily be overlooked due to how rarely it ever pops up- and it will be overlooked by younger audiences because kids just don’t pick up on those sorts of things. The only way for younger kids to know about the plot is if they’re watching videos of others describing it, in which case, the game has nothing to do with that. That’s completely on the kids for doing their own research. All that aside, the game is gore-free and easily palatable for audiences of all ages, but like so many things, lies up to the individuals and the threshold of their own personal comfort and fears.

Adult Written byRealNinja June 3, 2019

Fnaf review

As a professional gamer, I think I know these games really well and also as a parent, I know what this stuff is about. The game itself isn’t scary, the background story is kinda disturbing but never the less it’s awesome and should be 10+
Adult Written byCarrieCorvan June 3, 2019

Fnaf review

This game is so much fun!My kids and I play it every night as family game night.We absolutely love it! It’s not even that scary! It just gets you anxious and when you get jump-scared you are laughing

Adult Written byGurtrude_The_Cool April 29, 2019

good for a quick scare

Overall a great game with deep meanings on the inside. This game can be scary with jump scares but it’s a very good game.

Adult Written byDoris V. June 29, 2017

Concerned Parent

My son who is 6 years old has been tormented by the images he saw on this game. A friend of him lured him into watching it at camp. He has not been the same since. He's never ever been afraid of the dark or had nightmares and now he won't sleep in his own room and wakes up in the middle of the night a couple of times per night. He can't stand to be alone in any room at home. This game really impacted him in a bad way and I would not recommend it to anyone under the age of 13. Unless they are accustomed to and like horror-type games. I have tried to explain to him that those characters were not real and that it was all a game but, so far it hasn't convinced him. I'm hoping that he will soon forget the images that he saw on this game so he can be the happy-go-lucky kid that he has always been. As a parent, I would highly recommend that you watch or play the game first, to see if it's something that your child could handle. I'm sorry that I didn't have the opportunity or was aware of the impact this would have on my son.

Adult Written byamandaboothe24 July 26, 2015

five nights at freddys

I watched some of the YouTube videos. My ten year old daughter has seen this game played and is now terrified and crying. ( thanks to her dad and his friends son) I do not believe that this game should be so cheap. Small children are able to download it and it just gets charged to the phone bill. And for crying out loud, children were killed and put into robots? What is this world coming to. Don't let sensitive children even watch the videos!!!!

Adult Written byMkamerman June 6, 2019

What's with all the drama?

Ok so I see a lot of stuff along the line of, this game is demonic! Keep children away! Why does this exist?!? But seriously people, chill out. It's fake. Older children can understand that. Is the game errie and creepy? Definitely. Does it have a dark backstory? Yes. Does it make me jump from time to time. 100 percent. But that's why they have ESRB rating warnings on games! The game is literally labeled, recommended for children over 12. So 13+ basically, the rating you'd see on a movie with violence and inappropriate language. Would I let a young child play this? No. If your child has issues with this sort of thing, should they be kept away? Yes. But older children? No problem. I actually laughed at some of the parent reviews. This game has demonic spirits associated... LoL, what a joke. My 11 year old sister plays this game with no trauma. She hasn't been hospitalized or exorcised yet. It's more concerning that's Trump is still president. Honestly.

Parent Written byRick C. November 2, 2016

Backstory is everything

While the gameplay is innocent enough, less gore than many, it's the very dark backstory that eventually comes to light that is the stuff of nightmares. On that premise alone I would keep this away from younger minds, those with active imaginations and those who scare easily. My 7 y/o was exposed to this game via the school playground grapevine and has had nightmares.

I'm checking the box for too much violence, even though it is just insinuated and not portrayed.

Adult Written byThermisius March 19, 2015

I am 23 and I have been a horror game veteran since middle school, and I got to say this is one of the scarier titles I have played.

This is nightmare fuel ladies and gentlemen
Adult Written byBelgianPancake April 9, 2016

Consider kids other than your own

My youngest (8) hasn't slept on his own in ages simply because kids at school won't stop talking about this game on the bus/ at recess. If your kid isn't bothered by this level of violence, that's great, but PLEASE stick to the age restrictions/ suggestions for those of us who suffer collateral damage. I would really, really like to sleep through the night again and I know I'm not alone.

Parent Written byjamesl1 July 11, 2015

Not good for kids at all!!!

This game definatly has had a huge impact on my sons mental state. He thinks the game is real and is became very frightened of alot of things. The game is completly inappropriate for younger kids. I definatly have concerns about this game.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byrebonplayer58 March 25, 2015

I am like this game but i dont think it is good for yo for young children, beacause there is people that can´t sleep.

Parent Written byseekinganswers November 24, 2014

Dark Theme

Scared my 12 year old just hearing about it and watching friends play it at school. He was so unsettled by it, we ultimately tried playing it with him to help him conquer the fear and move on. Unfortunately, this did not work. Apparently, this game if his "fear button." Everyone has something that fully scares them and this is his. I would not normally allow this game to be played due to the violent and sadistic nature of it. It is so popular right now that my son was unable to avoid it. Although there is no blood, there is the suggestion of extreme violence, which I think can be worse as it allows the player to use their imagination, inserting perhaps more disturbing images. If you are a parent, please read the background story of the game and characters so you can make an informed decision about whether to allow your child to play FNAF.

Adult Written byMamabear430 November 4, 2018

How is this a game for children?

I was walking through the toy isle at the store when my four year old started hysterically screaming and crying in complete terror - his face instantly turned red and his entire body began shaking. I had no idea what happened, I walked out of the isle and it took several minutes for him to gather himself to be able to tell me what happened. He saw one of these toys. He tried explaining to me what he saw, but i was completely uneducated on this game. My 12 year old niece was with us and she happened to be familiar with the game, she realized what he was talking about and said it was really scary. My son got so upset again, crying, and he said he was going to puke - he begged for us to stop talking about it when she only told me it was a game. Later on I was warning my mom about the incident and to avoid the toy isle if she had him, my son reacted the same way. This game is obviously traumatic and I don’t understand why it is even allowed in the toy isle where small children go, but I don’t understand a lot of the values of today’s society either.
Parent of a 2, 6, 9, and 11-year-old Written byclaireb3 March 12, 2016

my child now cannot sleep!

My 8 year old downloaded a free version of this game without my permission (strangely her tablet didn't ask for my password as it usually would?) as all her friends were talking about it. Within an hour or so I found out, questioned her and her siblings about it and then I deleted it. However it was too late. She is traumatised by it and will not go anywhere in the house alone and has to have an adult sleep in her bed every night. We're on night 3 now and she seems even more scared. I just wish I could make her un-see this game. Clearly way to scary for children. Can see me having to get her to a hypnotherapist at this rate :(
Adult Written byGamer_Cake May 13, 2015

NOT FOR KIDS!!!

This game is frecking scary and tramatizing . This can scar a kid for about 1 year . My friends 5 year old brother played this and know is scared to got to Chucky Cheese! So if your a little kid do NOT play this . Also do not play it if you are scared easily. P.S. i gave it a star rating because I love it!

Parent of a 5 and 12-year-old Written byCloverstar April 20, 2015

Nice game

I'm sorry but it's not scary it's creepy and makes you jump but NOT SCARY!!!!!