Parent reviews for Hopscotch-Programming for Kids

Easy-to-use visual tool makes coding fun and social.

Wondering if Hopscotch-Programming for Kids is OK for your kids?

Parent of a 3, 9, and 9-year-old Written bykimc2 January 19, 2015

My kids love it but I'm concerned

Overall this is a great app. My kids love making projects on it. The concern I have is with the ability to post pages for other users to "sign". My daughter has mentioned that she has communicated back & forth w some users in this way. Doesn't seem very safe. We are trying to be vigilant but if it becomes problematic, this app will have to go.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byireviewgamesand... December 7, 2018

Just why

You have to pay to make projects
Adult Written byCristalle21 July 23, 2018

New inappropriate uses found on my son’s account

My 7 year old has had this app for a few years now and we used to love and trust it. Today we found inappropriate remixes on his account (hopscotch games other people created) involving sexual references. There is no way to prevent him from accessing these games. We also found that kids have learned how to communicate with each other by creating basic “games” that are purely messages to other users. We are deleting this app until he is much older or the company provides a way to better way to control what my child can access.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byandystat July 25, 2016

Disappointing upgrade

The previous version of Hopscotch was OK but the latest upgrade to v3.2.1 is a huge disappointment. I assume that the previous version was too similar to Scratch and had to be changed. It is hard to see anything that has improved and a lot that has got worse in the upgrade. It is much harder to use and less intuitive. Ignore Hopscotch, go straight to Scratch.
Parent Written byYVRmom October 21, 2018

Step by Step - and Side by Side - Very Inspiring

This has been an excellent app on coding to explore with our 7 year old son. It is friendly and encouraging. There are many resources that Hopscotch has created to teach children and to guide educators.
I downloaded the "educators" information to learn the steps to introduce our son to coding. I couldn't quite believe it when the "Quickstart Guide" suggested the mindset: "Let the kids
become the experts, and marvel at what they create." Yet, after the first lesson, our son wanted to spend time coding up a silly animation based on the principles and techniques he learned in the first introductory tutorial. His interest and skills have grown from there.
I am delighted to have found an app that creatively teaches coding with simple, step-by-step instructions that our son and I can follow while sitting on the couch, side-by-side.

Parent Written byDavid O. December 27, 2017

Great coding app for kids

An excellent app that my 8 year-old daughter loves. Great way to introduce your children to coding, which is such an important skill for later life. She loves making small apps and sharing them, and her work is getting more and more sophisticated. Highly recommended.

Adult Written byDina H. February 3, 2017

Good

I really loved the functionality of HOPSCOTCH and it is very easy to use also. Learning through this would be more easy and fun.