A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this app.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
There aren't any reviews yet. Be the first to review this title.
What's it about?
Like the paper-based game, MAD LIBS lets players fill in key parts of a story using words of particular parts of speech. Because players choose words before knowing what the story is about, word choices are often ridiculous and hilarious in context. Though kids won't learn much about grammar, the game does require them to plug in certain word types. Limited content comes for free, and more is available through in-app purchases.
Is it any good?
This digital version of the classic is brilliantly executed in a clear, intuitive format. Parents and kids have more variety than the traditional Mad Libs, with choices like "silly word" and "animal" along with the usual "plural noun" and "adverb." This paid app also has a "hints" button, which offers up multiple choices for each selection -- great for young kids still grappling with the parts of speech. Do make sure to set expectations about what, if anything, kids can buy.
Talk to your kids about ...
- Devices: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
- Price: Free (optional in-app purchases)
- Pricing structure: Free (The app comes with 21 free stories. Extra 21-story packs are available for $1.99 each.)
- Release date: May 3, 2010
- Category: Entertainment
- Size: 111.10 MB
- Publisher: Penguin Group USA
- Version: 3.4
- Minimum software requirements: iOS 8.0 or later
- Last updated: July 13, 2020