A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this app.
What parents need to know
Parents need to know that Wild Kratts Creature Math puts kids' math skills to the test while teaching them about ecosystems as they care for animals and their habitats. That includes making sure each animal has an adequate food supply -- nuts and berries for squirrels and raccoons, and, well, squirrels and raccoons for wolves. It is handled matter-of-factly with no drama.
What's it about?
Kids build habitats for animals in and around a lake while keeping the ecosystem balanced. But, before they can build a new habitat, they have to correctly answer an addition or subtraction problem. The Kratt brothers help kids through the environment and the math problems, using manipulatives to demonstrate the math. As kids add other animals and their habitats, they have to watch the smiley-face indicators over each animal to keep each well fed and the ecosystem well balanced. Kids earn creature power discs and banners throughout the game.
Is it any good?
Creating these creature habitats is addictive fun. Gameplay continues for quite a while, with kids needing at least three of each animal to earn the creature power disc. Up to four in-progress games can be saved. The math difficulty adjusts based on performance, so kids stay appropriately challenged. Just as with the Wild Kratts television program, kids learn about each animal and its habitat as they explore and play.
Talk to your kids about ...
- Since playing the full game is meant to take some time, set clear guidelines with kids on how long they may play at one time.
- Talk to kids about the connections in our environment and how animals or plants or pieces of litter that are not a part of the natural ecosystem could negatively affect it.
- Device: iPad
- Subjects: Math: addition, subtraction
Science: animals, ecosystems
- Skills: Thinking & Reasoning: strategy, thinking critically
- Price: $1.99
- Release date: March 14, 2013
- Category: Education
- Topics: Science and Nature, Wild Animals
- Size: 65.30 MB
- Publisher: PBS KIDS
- Version: 1.2
- Minimum software requirements: iOS 4.3 or later
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
For kids who love PBS Kids
Our editors recommend
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.