A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this book.
What parents need to know
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Otis, the sweet and gentle tractor, is back in in another story destined to become a family favorite. OTIS AND THE PUPPY beautifully showcases a loyal friendship and explores nighttime fears. With soothing text and illustrations, it's a great choice for a bedtime read -- particularly for kids who get nervous as the lights grow dim.
The muted colors and strong lines of Loren Long's artwork evoke classics like The Story of Ferdinand and Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. Shifting perspectives make each spread a delight and beautifully mark the turning point of the story. For example, the text follows Otis as he plays hide-and-seek, while the illustrations focus on the puppy, who has completely forgotten the game and is far more interested in chasing a butterfly.
Talk to your kids about ...
Families can talk about what it means to be a good friend. Otis and the puppy enjoy playing together, but how do they help each other?
- Ask kids what fear physically feels like -- pounding heart, racing thoughts, and so on. Then practice Otis' counting technique: Try running around to get your heart racing, then be still and count to 10. Talk about how you feel afterward.
How do you think Otis and the Puppy compares with the first book, Otis? Would you like to read more stories about Otis? What do you like about him?
- Author: Loren Long
- Illustrator: Loren Long
- Genre: Picture Book
- Topics: Cars and trucks, Cats, dogs, and mice, Friendship, Horses and farm animals
- Book type: Fiction
- Publisher: Philomel
- Publication date: March 12, 2013
- Publisher's recommended age(s): 3 - 7
- Number of pages: 40
- Available on: Nook, Hardback, iBooks, Kindle
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
For kids who love picture books and friendship stories
Our editors recommend
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.