Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for That Was Then, This Is Now

Teenagers love the gritty realism of this novel.

Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008
Adult Written byJoseph Hoang July 31, 2018

Truly a Masterpiece!

It is a great book! S.E Hinton has truly created a masterpiece. I think that this book should be kept as a required book for many schools.
Adult Written byWorkingmum January 30, 2018

Cheap garbage

Primitive, primitive, primitive book that I will never understand the value of. I do not understand the teachers that push this garbage down the throats of EVERY single class in this town. There are NO positive rule models of any kind. There is NO literary value of any kind. It is disgusting to read and it is pointless and revolting to mull over. It is as empty as a deflated balloon. It is full of platitudes and pretentious statements. There is no soul in it. My children hate it. As for the teachers, well, I suppose it is easy for them to work with this as there is no thinking required on their part. Pathetic really. And narrow minded to the extreme. It is common knowledge of current neuroscience that reading books from perspective of murderers or abusers or drug addicts conditions the brain of the reader into that thought process, and for the duration of the reading of that [email protected]#$, the reader identifies deeply with this trash, so good luck all of you, who admire this. Go on, read all of them for the rest of your life. A good screening test to check whether I would like to spend any time in your company. If you like this book, keep walking, I have nothing in common with you.

Adult Written byJoezBagelz July 31, 2018
Adult Written bysmtemp August 14, 2015

What Its Like To Live In The 1960's

Would you recommend the book That Was Then This Is Now? yes I would recommend this book if you like real life situations. This book had a lot of real life challenges, and is a very good book. It gives you a taste of what it's like to live in the 1960's I love this book because it has a lot of feeling and makes you think of what it is like to live in the 1960's.

Adult Written byZorchalate April 9, 2008