Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for 1917

Unique WWI epic has brutal war violence, smoking.

Adult Written byjimmythe64bitman December 21, 2019

Great Movie!

First off, this is a great movie. You should definitely take your teen to it. Also, this movie is not for little kids. If your tween is mature enough, you should take them. 9 and under. NO WAY. I mean, the movie is very violent, and there are very intense scenes. And, if your kid has seen Mad Max: Fury Road, and/or seen /played violent video games, they have seen worse and should be fine watching 1917. But like J.trix says, the violence rating should be a 4 not 5. And the cursing is reasonable for the situations.

Adult Written byJ.Trix December 19, 2019

This movie had me paralyzed! So good!

For parents,
Absolutely for young action-seeking teens, the movie does have very intense peril, but it’s not noticeable. It did have my adrenaline pumping though. The movie was gruesome, but it should be a four, not a five. Thank you, again.

Adult Written by1Schofield January 21, 2020

1917 is Amazing

This is by far one of the best movies I have seen. The style of filmmaking, with the one-shot is absolutely stunning and adds so much to this film. The acting is great you get attached to the characters from the very start. There is violence must almost every other war movie I have seen is way more violent. There is not really blood or gore when it comes to the actual fighting. However there are dead bodies through out which can sometimes be a little disturbing. That said this film is nothing that a teen couldn’t handle. This is a must see and honestly my Favorite movie. If you haven’t seen it yet shame on you, watch it right now.

Adult Written byMichael Cox January 13, 2020

Greatest Movie of All Time

1917 is absolutely a must watch! On several ratings is high for language, however if you are concerned about that with the British accents and background noises it makes it impossible to pick up on. It’s story and emotional feel is absolutely 100%! Plus the continuous one shot throughout the entire film is amazing. It’s main character must push through and never turn back if he wishes to save 16 hundred lives. I highly highly recommend seeing this, it is absolutely ranked 1st on my favorite movies of all time.

Adult Written bylpetlock January 10, 2020

Outstanding film. Beautiful cinema. Powerful soundtrack.

Outstanding film. This is a powerful and mentally engaging film that captures the zeitgeist of The Great War and the heartwrenching reality of trench warfare. Saving Private Ryan before Private Ryan. Beautiful cinema. Powerful soundtrack. See this film. Better than Disney's nonsense which takes the reality of war away and replaces it with far fetched make believe.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byMichael L. January 10, 2020

Good movie. Great cinematography.

This is a good movie because of the story, the cinematrography, the direction, and the acting. It has lots of realistic depictions of WWI warfare. The violence is not disturbing to teens and adults, but it would be to younger children.
The Commonsense media review mentions a masturbation joke. Honestly, despite being riveted to the movie in a silent theater, I did not notice that joke.
The swearing is there, and it is appropriate amd realistic for a war movie. If you can handle watching human beings suffer amd die during war, you can handle curse words sprinkled throughout the movie.
The characters are notably authentic, and their mission is inspirational. There are sad moments.
I would think that a 12 or 13 year old would be fine to see this movie, but I worry about their attention span. The movie is not slow and boring, but it does drag a little bit in a few spots. Preteens and younger teens may find it to be long and monotonous at times. If someone loves war movies and cinematography, he or she will like this.

Adult Written byMovieAddict22 January 24, 2020

Great Movie

There is some violence but nothing too intense. It really shows war for what it is and it’s an incredible piece of film!! Highly recommend!

Adult Written byPerceptionisReality January 19, 2020

A good history lesson, along with a lesson in empathy and compassion

Yes, cuss words. Yes, a lot of violence. However, any parent who allows their child to return to his/her own bedroom or basement to play video games and does not monitor the violence, but cautions others from taking that same child to a historically-relevant movie, has a very skewed sense of reality. The same goes for any Marvel or related movie. How can an adult willingly take a child to see endless and senseless violence in those movies, yet say this is too violent. This movie show the horrors of war and how war impacts all of us. How can supporting a child's addiction to Fort Nite and Call of Duty (which are all about killing) but state that this movie is harmful to a child.

Children should know about the travesties of war to end all wars.

Adult Written bymovieman48 January 14, 2020

Slow and tedious war movie

A slow and tedious war movie which tries to give the horrors of war but which ends up in a world of unreality. The first part where the soldiers set off on their mission is rooted in reality but in the second half of the movie the action becomes more and more preposterous as our hero has more and more escapes and injuries yet still manages to run like a greyhound. This might be finding Mission Impossible but not in a movie which is seeking to recreate the realities of war. The ending is so slow as to be painful. Over-egging the pudding.
Adult Written byMelndaR January 20, 2020

Coming of Age Tale

Our 13 year old son was the one that approached us and said he wanted to go see this movie. I did some research and, knowing the games he, his older brother, and their friends play, on top of knowing his personal maturity level, decided (along with my husband) that we would go as a family. We are both retired military, and told our sons the soldiers in the war were about their age, for the most part, or a bit older. I think that really hit home for them. The transition from boy to man in the main character is apparent. This movie shows teens the story of a great role model, a few lessons in warfare survival, and that great things are done by many that would never have sought out danger on their own accord but blossom when thrust into action. Great movie. I would've loved to hear Sam Mendes' grandfather's stories first-hand. This is absolutely the next best thing.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byJaffaCake1731 January 18, 2020

Superb film - but only for 16+

Staggered some are posting this is fine for 10+. It's a very powerful and well done film but includes lots of very graphic violence and a very realistic depiction of close up warfare - absolutely no way is this suitable for tweens or even younger teens. You can't compare the manufactured violence children may have seen on Marvel films, computer games etc already - they know that stuff isn't real whereas this pulls you into the action in an extremely realistic way. My 11 and 13 year olds are fairly clued up but seeing this pre-16, before they are mature enough to understand the very real context of what they're seeing, would I'm pretty sure be traumatising. Plenty of time to watch these sorts of films when they are older. Definitely just one for adults or 16+.

Adult Written byLegsy January 17, 2020

Disappointing

First 20 minutes really dull and boring, rest of the film a bit ridiculous, shame it has some great actors that only had minimal lines. Not sure why its up for so many awards, wait for DVD not worth cinema prices
Adult Written byjcmcdowell January 11, 2020

Not bad!

I just saw this movie last night. This movie can be graphic at times, especially when characters die or get seriously wounded, but it’s nothing kids 16 and up can’t handle. The violence is brutal, but it wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. But besides the violence, this movie has a lot of positive aspects that people can get out of it. The soldiers in this movie never give up on their mission, even when it is very tempting. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was very well-made. I was also thrilled with how little sex there was. It has quite a bit of swearing, but 16-year-olds will be fine as long as they watch it with a parent. A MUST-WATCH!!!

Adult Written byKwebolcop December 26, 2019