Kid reviews for 1917

Unique WWI epic has brutal war violence, smoking.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySam1306 January 26, 2020

Powerful, Violent, and groundbreaking Achievement

I loved this movie, I thought that Sam Mendes did a masterful job behind the camera. Every shot is filled with information, the cinematography is gorgeous. On top of it all they had a daunting task of making it all look as if it was one take. The acting was absolutely phenomenal with solid performances all around especially from the two leads. It was incredibly intense and action packed, with very realistic violence, and since this is an accurate war movie, yes, there will be cursing. There are many bloody wounds and corpses but none of it is needless. Many people die in it and it does not try to romanticize war, it shows its horror and the scars it leaves behind. The protagonists are strong in their sense of morality, and they are good role models. They show that no matter how difficult or horrific that a situation may be you can count on yourself and that you should never give up, no matter how difficult a task may be. If your child is 13 and mature they will be able to handle it, it is not an easy movie but it is powerful and a milestone for Film. I cannot stress about how incredible the action and sets were every single little detail was teaming with just the right amount of light and accentuating. If you can go see it on the big screen it is absolutely worth it, definitely see this movie. It deserved its golden globe.

Teen, 14 years old Written byYTSwizzi December 29, 2019

Just like Saving Private Ryan

I've been watching war movies since I was 4. My first war movie was Saving Private Ryan. I grew up in a military household and therefore I'm offeneded by all the language and gore. I love to study old wars especially WW1 and WW2 so this movie was very interesting to watch. I love every minute of it. Obviously it is rated R, but only for language and violence, but I think anyone who is mature enough to handle this movie they should watch it. Obviously this might not be the review you look for because I watch movies like this all the time, but still I highly recommend it because it is an amazing movie

Teen, 17 years old Written bySchofield1 January 21, 2020

Best Movie ever

This Movie is insane. The one shot really works getting you attached to the characters right away. The violence is less than expected, most of the “gore” is on the dead people but it’s not super bad. This movie is so unique and is absolutely the best WW1 movie there is. This is honestly great and now my Favorite movie. If you haven’t seen it you should right now.

Teen, 16 years old Written byRhinoGamerHD January 17, 2020
Teen, 13 years old Written byUsernameIsName January 13, 2020

Possibly one of the best war movies ever

I've been watching military movies/TV shows for a long time, stuff like Dunkirk and Band of Brothers. But this one... this one takes the cake. It's shot like a 'one-shot' film, and even though it's not it's still only 10-12 shots in total. There is some mild swearing (Mostly stuff like Bloody hell) Aswell as violence, lot's and lot's of dead and rotting bodies can be seen throughout the movie. All the character's are great at there job and fit right into there rolls. Not many movies are made about WW1/The great war so it's nice to see this.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRowanRobins January 17, 2020

Definitely not as bad as Saving Private Ryan.

When I watched this film I recognized how diluted the violence is compared to other films. While still Graphic and heavy on Realistic War Violence it is nothing compared to Saving Private Ryan. In this film a character gets stabbed. Whereas in Saving private Ryan a person is crying holding in their entrails. It is definitely not as bad as SPR which is also 16+. While this film is violent It is not a fraction of the gore in Saving Private Ryan and is OK enough for 14+ year old's .

Teen, 14 years old Written byMediumVoltage January 12, 2020

Absolutely Stunning.

After seeing the trailer, I think some people assumed it would be another gory war movie. Not the case at all. This one is more of a thriller, with the tension always rising. You never feel that the characters are safe. Yes, there is gore at the end of it and some bloody bits throughout the film, but unless you are very squeamish, you will be fine. But take that opinion with a grain of salt, as I am a huge horror fan and gore doesn’t really faze me. The movie is very intense, though. Like I said, you never think the characters are safe. But one of the best parts of it is the cinematography. The movie is a single shot movie that takes it to a whole new level. The editing is flawless, the cuts are almost never noticeable. This movie is one of my new favorites, definitely worth the 2 hours.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHydroPlaysXband... January 11, 2020

Gorgeous film, some violence and language.

Roger Deakins did a spectacular job with this film, along with Sam Mendes, who wrote the screenplay off stories his Grandfather told him. This film is a masterpiece in cinematography, the one take film, this is a must see just for that!
Violence: Some disturbing imagery, and tension, with shooting. Very little blood when it comes to shooting or stabbing. One death involves a stabbing, with resulting blood. Shooting, with puffs of what is either blood or dirt. Many, many dead bodies, with missing limbs, etc. The usual for war films, no gore when it comes to person on person violence.
Language: Around 10-15 F bombs, and various uses of other British swears.
Sex: Some suggestive banter.
Consumption: Very brief drinking from a flask.
Extra: Some scenes are disturbing or sad, but there are positive role models and messages.

Teen, 16 years old Written byStarkiller567 January 11, 2020

1917: The most BEAUTIFULLY shot war movie ever!

1917 is a beautiful film! Every shot looks good and is just a movie you HAVE to see in theaters to truly enjoy. I love war movies and think that 1917 is one of my favorites. It definitely ranks up there with classic war movies such as Platoon and Saving Private Ryan. It does not disappoint at all. Content wise there is some language but nothing a middle or high schooler could handle. I didn’t notice much blood but there is many corpses shown in various forms of decay and shootouts occur. No sexual content besides one very mild reference. I think the movie would be OK for a 15 year old because it truly takes a more mature person to truly appreciate the film. Watch it!

Teen, 14 years old Written byminzy January 26, 2020

as long as you’re aware.

this film is brilliant, astonishing and definitely something your kids should see, too. though, there are some bad scenes in which show graphic imagery and swearing, this film in regard isn’t bad for kids at all, just those two in particular.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygeobar666 January 24, 2020

Amazing!

This is by far one of the best movies I’ve seen, the storyline is amazing and the movie itself is exciting and intense. I was sitting on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie. The movie is also very emotional and can make you cry at some moments. There is quite a lot of violence and dead bodies lying around, but it’s nothing a 13 year old can’t handle. Definitely worth watching.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKon P January 23, 2020

Best war movie I’ve ever seen

This is a very suspenseful and impelling movie that, in my opinion, everyone should see at some point. There is quite a bit of strong language but not so much from the main characters. It shows the harsh reality of war including severally mangled bodies of injured soldiers and human and animal corpses. The suspense never seems to stop through the whole 2 hr movie and has some tear jerking scenes (at least for my mom). Overall it definitely is worth going to see and is the greatest war movie I’ve ever seen.

Teen, 17 years old Written byChris_Feher January 23, 2020

WOW

That's really all I can say about this movie. From the acting, to the continuous shots, to the story line. It was pretty incredible. Personally though, I think that Common Sense missed the mark on the age rating. The description makes the violence sound so much worse than it actually is. 1917 was to me, by far the lightest war movie regarding violence, I have ever seen. Granted, it still has its fair share of it, but if your kid has seen other action/war movies before, they should be fine. The description of tension was another thing that may have been overstated. However, the language is definitely pervasive. Other than that, the story contains a really great overall message(if you're into that sort of thing), and I guarantee, you will not regret letting yourself, and/or your kids see it. It is in fact one of the best movies of 2019/20, if not the entire decade.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybgrmoose January 23, 2020

stunning thrills, not for kids but beautifully crafted

1917 is the greatest film of 2019 but is better for mature teens because of the gory details this film contains. The thrills for this film are insane even if nothing is happening at the minute, like the min characters are just walking around it is still a very intense moment. and the last thing this movie was beautifully crafted in a way iv'e never seen before: it was taken in two shots For those who don't know what that is it means the cameras only switched two times and followed the main characters for most of the film not switching angles but moving to different angles and that is whats so beautiful about this film it is also so insane how it ended NO SPOILERS! but it just made you feel like nobody won anything.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBG_drums4 January 21, 2020

The R Rating for this movie is baloney (FANTASTIC MOVIE)

The rating “R” means violence, language, drug use, etc. i understand this rating for other movies but for this one, no way. I watched this movie in the theater and there was absolutely NO drug use (except cigarettes) there was barely any violence, and little blood. Also this movie does not include ANY sexual content. AMAZING MOVIE. If you like Saving Private Ryan or other war movies, this is for you. And for parents, YOUR KIDS CAN WATCH IT TOO. (Personally i would have rated this movie PG-13 and not R)

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoel_5762 January 20, 2020

1917 | Film Review

1917 is a brilliantly filmed, crafted and very real representation of the horrific conditions of World War I.

George Mackay's performance as Lance Corporal Will Schofield was easy to watch but nothing to praise. However, his character was more enjoyable to watch when he is with Dean-Charles Chapman's Lance Corporal Tom Blake. Their chemistry on-screen together was genuinely enjoyable to watch.

There are great role models through William Schofield as he perseveres and does whatever he can to deliver the message. Additionally, the cinematography and unique 'one-shot' film aspect was very awesome to watch. It sounds like a gimmick but honestly works really well for the film. It engages the audience in a way that I have never experienced in a film before as it made me feel like I was embarking on the adventure as well.

The violence in the film is extreme with dead bodies, explosions, shootouts, stabbings and blood. However, for a War film, it is necessary. The swearing however, was (at times) funny, but mostly not needed and one scene gave me the impression it was used purely for laughs and/or because it had the MA15 rating.

There are somethings I didn't like about this film, however. Firstly, the 'one-shot' aspect of the film worked well (mostly) but after a long while, made me begin to lose interest until the next gun/action sequence. Furthermore, this effect is perfect for the style of film this is, however the pacing is extremely slow and therefore, after a long while, can cause the audience to lose interest.

In conclusion, I did ultimately enjoy 1917 and especially Sam Mendes directing. However, I feel like the pacing is slow and therefore, I don't think i'd watch it again.

3/5 stars!

Teen, 13 years old Written by1917vet January 19, 2020

The best action movie I’ve seen!

This is one of the best action/war movies I have seen! It has multiple scenes that just get your adrenaline rushing. Has a lot of gore and blood though. I recommend the teen you show the movie to has to be really mature.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDJNW January 18, 2020

Great, but Graphic

This movie has an accurate depiction of war, with the nitty gritty realism most movies won’t give you, from it’s great acting, to it’s fantastic cinematography, this movie is a must see. However, there is a lot of violence, and strong language throughout. Many uses of the f and s word. I think this movie is suitable for mature audiences 16 and up, who are old enough to comprehend and realize the horrors of war.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCamden movies r... January 14, 2020

Stunning Movie! Not as suspenseful as it should be.

This movie was great and made you really feel connected to the characters, as you may have heard this movie is a one shot film so you are supposed to feel like you are in the trenches with the characters. Honestly it wasn’t really scary, it was great but just not as suspenseful and surreal as everybody said it would be. There is no sex or drugs that I ever noticed but some swearing throughout the entire film nothing bad for an R rated movie. The violence isn’t over the top at all in fact call me crazy but I could have asked for more! Overall if you want to see this movie do! It’s great and contains powerful lessons about honor and strength. Thinking back of how good it was and the acting was I might have to see it again!

Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2020

Incredible with the one-film!

The film is very well made and is definitely worth going to a cinema with a big screen and good sound. However, it is best for mature tweens and up. Some scenes can get a bit violent and gory but it doesn't have as many swear words for a war film.Still, it is a must watch.