Parent reviews for Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Dumb '90s comedy full of gross-out humor, profanity, sex.

Adult Written by[email protected] September 10, 2010
I watched this with my 10 year old son, and I should have turned it off. Instead we fast-forwarded through all the inappropriate scenes. I did not expect the explicit, sexually inappropriate humor in a PG-13 movie. Sorry, call me a prude, but even for teenagers it's just not appropriate. There is one scene where Jim Carrie and Courtney Cox are having rambunctious sex under the covers. There is no skin, but that does not matter (!), the scene is sooo explicit. There is also a scene where a woman asks Ace if she can reward him by pulling down his pants, and she does! I thought this movie should have been rated R.

Adult Written bygreen_goblin November 7, 2008

So funny

I don't think it's OK for kids at all.
Parent Written bytennessegirl14 November 27, 2010

Funny Hahahah

I Liked this movie a whole lot! Idk why its gettin such bad reviews!! this is a classic Jim Carrey movie(and i Luvs him so maby that's y) with crude humor yes but still funny! I think they drop the f bomb a few times but but besides that i believe this is an all around FUNNY movie! A must watch for Carrey fans!

Adult Written byWeron May 22, 2012

Very beautiful comedy film..

I think that is a very beautiful comedy film from legend jim carrey except some scenes there are not for children...
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byCaerleon March 26, 2015

Don't do it!

It's just not a good movie. The language was pretty appalling - and we watch Mel Brooks movies. The sexual content was way more explicate than I had expected. And Carey's over-acting is just painful to watch. Really wish we had looked at the reviews here first. Definitely regret having watched this one!

Parent of a 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byTasbronia April 16, 2011
Disgusting...don't be fooled this is not a kids movie!!

Adult Written byJEDI micah January 3, 2013

Wow! ONE STAR?! Come on, Common Sense!!!

This is one of Jim Carrey's best movies, next to The Mask! I grew up watching this movie dying of laughter! Sure, there are some sexual content and some humorous violence, but you gotta admit Common Sense: Carrey is down-right funny in this movie! Some of his catchphrases ("Loo-ah-ser", for example) have become legendary film phrases! For Carrey fans that haven't seen this movie, ignore Common Sense on this one! IT IS A MUST-WATCH!!!

Parent of a 5, 11, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written byMusicMakesMySoulRock March 17, 2012

:D

Loved It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written bycleanmovies0 May 11, 2012

funny but some sexuality

i loved this movie very funny but a couple scenes where highly surprising including the scene which had ace and the lady who works at the football stadium in bed no nudity but you can easily tell what there doing good movie but you might want to fast forward those scenes

Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe June 1, 2010
Crude, rude, gross and inappropriate.Ace Ventura shouldn't be viewed by children younger than 14 or 15. A friend recommended that I watch this movie and said 'I would love it!' Well, I didn't, I was sorely disappointed.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Really stupid

i only watched this because my friend wanted to. I am very sorry i did. There is nothing of value here. It's not even funny!
Adult Written bycaffinegirl85 February 4, 2012

so funny!!! ''Yes Satan"?

very very funny the beginnig when he delivers the broken package lol and the landlord ''Yes Satan"? lol and the famous line " do not go in there whoo"! very very funny Jim Carry is the best!

Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy January 4, 2013

Wait,WHAT?! ONE STAR?! Very cheap CSM,very cheap.

Please don't listen to CSM on this one.This is a great movie.It had cool and clever action.Sure it's not the best for kids,but that dosen't mean it's a bad film.
Parent Written by4stewarts July 31, 2010

Adult Written byDuncanDerund August 24, 2014

Great Movie

Crude humor. Great movie 10+. There is some mild cursing.

Adult Written byCSM Screen name... April 9, 2008
Adult Written byzjayjay22 November 7, 2013

Really one star?? stupid Humor??

I don't think CSM account for "stupid humor" is really fair. I really don't see the harm here It's not like this movie is glamorizing anything. I don't see humor as black and white as most do. Yeah Jim carry is a physical comedian meaning he uses his body and expressions a lot Ex:(Will Ferrell,Chris Farley..ect) why is that stupid humor? He has a ton more class then the new age dumb humor like "hangover or grown ups" which I consider to bad taste humor, but really Ace Ventura? His character is simply meant to be on the extreme side, It not like its in bad taste. I don't see why this movie got one star to me its a classic. it can be crude but in that there is still hint of innocents that you don't see as much anymore in so called funny movies.
Adult Written byshanerocks April 6, 2012

Very, very funny movie!

This movie is funny. One scene that I had to fast foward through with my son.

Adult Written byhomealonefan123 April 28, 2014

Classic Jim Carrey is goofy, funny and again, a classic!

Parents need to know that this 90's comedy is a hilarious gem, but little kids will not get the gross out humor and stuff that is inappropriate for them. There is plenty of comic slapstick violence. There is sex jokes and other inappropriate humor. There is some brief nudity (one scene where a man's butt is clearly seen). Plus there is some mild language (sh-t and other profanities are used).