All parent member reviews for Babies

Parent of a 3, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byannie j December 28, 2010

Funny, sweet and worth watching

I LOVED this movie! It was so interesting to see how different children are raised all around the world. I laughed at how funny little ones can act whether it be in dirt, on carpet or in a bath of water. Definitely worth watching!
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bymommygirl19 August 20, 2010

Amazingly Riveting for 2 and 3 Year Olds

I have to differ here with the caveat that this film is great for only kids 7+. My 2 and 3 year old were riveted by this movie. They adored it and found the cultural diversity -- even the breast feeding -- very natural and 100% interesting. This is the first 40 minute stretch my 2 year old has spent in front of the TV. Ordinarily he lasts 5 minutes tops. This movie is very unique in that it appeals wordlessly to actual babies. Amazing.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 June 3, 2012

get ready for the talk

kids will ask where babies come from.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written bycreativefamilym... December 30, 2010

My daughter couldn't handle all the topless moms and showing kids defecating on legs and such...
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bynatasha7 November 2, 2010

This was an EXCELLENT documentary. But I don't think it's appropriate for younger children due to the amount of maternal nudity. Most of it is just mother's breastfeeding but it is much more graphically portrayed than what western audiences are used to. There also is one very brief full body shot of a mother getting out of a hot tub. I would say watch this with your teenage children. Might be a bit much for tweens.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylaurelsstitchery October 28, 2010

Not just for big kids

My DD is two and was riveted by this movie! She sat still the entire time and she still asks for this one even though it went back to the video store almost a month ago. I originally rented it because we're going to have a second child in a few months, so I wanted her to see what babies do. We're thinking about buying a copy for her. :)
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bykaliope October 26, 2010

Great for siblings with new babies in the house

We have a new baby in the house ourselves and my 5 year old loved this movie. It's thought provoking for the parents as we watched much different lifestyles than our own raise these adorable babies.
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written byChrisidink June 11, 2010

Worth viewing

A strikingly simple documentary with no interviews. Simply watching the babies and moms through Year 1. Great contrast of cultures, but understood from any language-point.
Educator and Parent of a 26 and 28 year old Written byleahanne April 27, 2013

Marvelous film for young kids and toddlers

"Babies" was the only media my daughter watched for about 6 months. She's loved it - learned about cultures, doctors and children. Her curiosity was piqued. She knows each child's name and she mimics what happens with her dolls. I came in one day, for example, and found she'd "written" her doll's name on its feet, like Mari in Japan. And now she always wraps and ties dolls up like Bayar in Mongolia. Marvelous film for kids when a parent needs some time.
Educator and Parent Written by2+4=6 March 30, 2012

Great for families

I really enjoyed this film with my 8, 6 & 3 yo. The fact that we as a culture are so appalled at the lack of clothing in another culture is disturbing to me. Yes, I wear clothes, but they don't. My kids asked a few questions about it, but were not disturbed. I thought there were a few scenes where the film skewed a bit towards stereotypes, which I found disappointing. All in all, I was left wanting more. More time on each culture/child. More time to see if the stereotypes held, or if the director just focused on their own biases. I appreciate being able to be exposed to and expose my children to other ways of living, and to have an open dialog of such.
Parent Written bykimmiesmile March 24, 2012

Great to share with your child!

My daughter is adopted from a third world country and we loved watching this together. I think it was really neat for both of to see how other cultures raise their children.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byPink Drink June 4, 2011

Entertaining and Educational

I watched this with my 11-year-old daughter and her friend. They were surprised by the nudity in Africa and also by the "gooiness" of a newborn. However they enjoyed the movie, and it gave us a lot to talk about regarding different cultures. It opened their eyes to the fact that people throughout the world grow up very differently, but we are all human - and no matter where they are born, babies and children also have a lot in common. It was a fun way of exposing the kids to cultural differences around the world.
Adult Written bysceneit March 14, 2011

good for those thinking of having little ones

there is a LOOOOOOTTTT of boob action in this movie; nudity practically the whole way through. you can;t watch for 5 minutes without seeing women walking around topless; especially in africa. not always in the breast feeding sense. they are just living life nude. extreme caution should be used when watching this with children or allowing them to see it
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byJothe January 2, 2011

Will keep your attention and make you smile

My children (3 and 6) loved watching each of the 4 babies in their countries and cultures and my husband and I enjoyed it, too. There are breasts shown while some babies are breastfeeding but it is in a natural way and did not raise eyebrows with my children, who were not used to seeing it. Fascinating to see what each family considers "normal" in the raising of their children. Well done.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byhod December 23, 2010

My kids loved this film and loved comparing and contrasting he parenting and environments of the babies.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bycyndifug8 December 9, 2010

Everybody loves babies!

My daughters and I enjoyed this film immensely. It is an honest look at babies from four different cultures for the first year or so of their lives, which ultimately demonstrates how much we all have in common despite our differences.
Parent Written byParismama October 12, 2010

A charming documentary

We loved this movie. My older child was able to sympathize with the different cultures and "got" the meaning behind the film, whereas my youngest just loved watching the babies! For me, I was only put off slightly by the obvious stereotypes- Poor= Black Africans in a hut, rich= White Americans in the Bay Area ( Why not a middle-class African and a poverty-stricken American?) But pushing that aside, I found the film to be beautifully filmed with a lot of charm.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byOne Picky mom October 7, 2010

Adult Written bytville June 22, 2010

you may want to talk to you kids a bit before the movie about the nudity

A nice documentary film, but the amount of nudity caught me by surprise. I thought there might be some tasteful breastfeeding scenes (with a PG rating)... but it was lactating breasts galore. And lots of one-year old male genitalia investigation. All very natural and innocent, but made a a little uncomfortable (with my son and two nieces 8-11) not knowing this beforehand.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byleilaandsarasmom May 20, 2010

Great for the whole family

Our whole family went to see Babies together and loved it. We talked about it for hours afterward.