Parent reviews for Babies

Mesmerizing film for kids and parents who adore wee ones.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byLgk123 February 29, 2020

Breastfeeding is not “sexy”

This is a visually beautiful movie that quietly illustrates some of the varying ways in which babies from different cultures are raised.
I am disappointed that Common Sense gave it a star for “Sexy Stuff.” Breastfeeding and breasts shown in the context of nursing have nothing to do with sex.
I respect that different families have different values when it comes to viewing the human body, and explaining how women’s breasts and toddlers’ nudity is shown in the movie could be helpful to others. But it is unfortunate and misleading that some reviewing parents also marked the movie as having sexy stuff. There is nothing sexual in “Babies.”

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byYoureDoingAGreatJob November 1, 2018

Great for Toddlers

Since there are no words, and no plot to follow, this is great a "baby's first movie". It's like cat videos for cats, toddlers love watching Babies!
Adult Written byGamer4056 June 1, 2018

Babies Parent Guide

Nudity: Some mothers are shown breastfeeding. Some baby bottoms are shown. Great role models: The babies are great role models. The adults too.

Parent Written byAngela L. April 2, 2018

Great for kids much younger than 7

This was the one and only thing my 18 month old was interested in watching. Now at 2.5 years he still loves this movie. It’s all about things that interest him! He laughs and cries along with the babies on the screen. The lack of dialogue makes it a perfect quiet time option - he’s happily watched it with no sound. I still like watching it too.

Adult Written byAdrienne R. November 22, 2017

If your kids have never seen a baby being born....

I loved watching this movie with some girlfriends at the theater when it came out. I thought it would be fun to watch with my 9 year old daughter and my 7 year old son. We started it, and just a few minutes in there is a mother nursing her baby without any cover-up. That is followed by a birth in Mongolia, showing the baby as it emerges into the world. I think it's amazing, but my kids were shocked. My daughter started bawling after the birth scene. So if your kids haven't seen anything like a live birth or breastfeeding, they may be surprised. I'm always trying to get them on board to watch documentaries, but they weren't ready for this one.

Parent of a 18+ and 18+-year-old Written byleahanne April 27, 2013

Marvelous film for young kids and toddlers

"Babies" was the only media my daughter watched for about 6 months. She's loved it - learned about cultures, doctors and children. Her curiosity was piqued. She knows each child's name and she mimics what happens with her dolls. I came in one day, for example, and found she'd "written" her doll's name on its feet, like Mari in Japan. And now she always wraps and ties dolls up like Bayar in Mongolia. Marvelous film for kids when a parent needs some time.

Adult Written by2+4=6 March 30, 2012

Great for families

I really enjoyed this film with my 8, 6 & 3 yo. The fact that we as a culture are so appalled at the lack of clothing in another culture is disturbing to me. Yes, I wear clothes, but they don't. My kids asked a few questions about it, but were not disturbed. I thought there were a few scenes where the film skewed a bit towards stereotypes, which I found disappointing. All in all, I was left wanting more. More time on each culture/child. More time to see if the stereotypes held, or if the director just focused on their own biases. I appreciate being able to be exposed to and expose my children to other ways of living, and to have an open dialog of such.
Adult Written bykimmiesmile March 24, 2012

Great to share with your child!

My daughter is adopted from a third world country and we loved watching this together. I think it was really neat for both of to see how other cultures raise their children.

Parent of a 11 and 15-year-old Written byPink Drink June 4, 2011

Entertaining and Educational

I watched this with my 11-year-old daughter and her friend. They were surprised by the nudity in Africa and also by the "gooiness" of a newborn. However they enjoyed the movie, and it gave us a lot to talk about regarding different cultures. It opened their eyes to the fact that people throughout the world grow up very differently, but we are all human - and no matter where they are born, babies and children also have a lot in common. It was a fun way of exposing the kids to cultural differences around the world.

Parent of a 3 and 7-year-old Written byJothe January 2, 2011

Will keep your attention and make you smile

My children (3 and 6) loved watching each of the 4 babies in their countries and cultures and my husband and I enjoyed it, too. There are breasts shown while some babies are breastfeeding but it is in a natural way and did not raise eyebrows with my children, who were not used to seeing it. Fascinating to see what each family considers "normal" in the raising of their children. Well done.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 12-year-old Written bycreativefamilym... December 30, 2010
My daughter couldn't handle all the topless moms and showing kids defecating on legs and such...
Parent of a 3, 5, 7, and 9-year-old Written byannie j December 28, 2010

Funny, sweet and worth watching

I LOVED this movie! It was so interesting to see how different children are raised all around the world. I laughed at how funny little ones can act whether it be in dirt, on carpet or in a bath of water. Definitely worth watching!

Parent of a 9 and 12-year-old Written byhod December 23, 2010
My kids loved this film and loved comparing and contrasting he parenting and environments of the babies.
Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written bycyndifug8 December 9, 2010

Everybody loves babies!

My daughters and I enjoyed this film immensely. It is an honest look at babies from four different cultures for the first year or so of their lives, which ultimately demonstrates how much we all have in common despite our differences.

Parent of a 6 and 10-year-old Written bynatasha7 November 2, 2010
This was an EXCELLENT documentary. But I don't think it's appropriate for younger children due to the amount of maternal nudity. Most of it is just mother's breastfeeding but it is much more graphically portrayed than what western audiences are used to. There also is one very brief full body shot of a mother getting out of a hot tub. I would say watch this with your teenage children. Might be a bit much for tweens.
Parent of a 2-year-old Written bylaurelsstitchery October 28, 2010

Not just for big kids

My DD is two and was riveted by this movie! She sat still the entire time and she still asks for this one even though it went back to the video store almost a month ago. I originally rented it because we're going to have a second child in a few months, so I wanted her to see what babies do. We're thinking about buying a copy for her. :)

Parent of a 2 and 5-year-old Written bykaliope October 26, 2010

Great for siblings with new babies in the house

We have a new baby in the house ourselves and my 5 year old loved this movie. It's thought provoking for the parents as we watched much different lifestyles than our own raise these adorable babies.
Parent Written byParismama October 12, 2010

A charming documentary

We loved this movie. My older child was able to sympathize with the different cultures and "got" the meaning behind the film, whereas my youngest just loved watching the babies! For me, I was only put off slightly by the obvious stereotypes- Poor= Black Africans in a hut, rich= White Americans in the Bay Area ( Why not a middle-class African and a poverty-stricken American?) But pushing that aside, I found the film to be beautifully filmed with a lot of charm.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byOne Picky mom October 7, 2010

Parent of a 2 and 3-year-old Written bymommygirl19 August 20, 2010

Amazingly Riveting for 2 and 3 Year Olds

I have to differ here with the caveat that this film is great for only kids 7+. My 2 and 3 year old were riveted by this movie. They adored it and found the cultural diversity -- even the breast feeding -- very natural and 100% interesting. This is the first 40 minute stretch my 2 year old has spent in front of the TV. Ordinarily he lasts 5 minutes tops. This movie is very unique in that it appeals wordlessly to actual babies. Amazing.