All teen and kid member reviews for Bend It Like Beckham

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

This is a great movie for soccer players and everyone else!

This movie about a girl named Jess who loves soccer. The only problem is, her parents don't want her to! She sneaks out of the house in order to practice with her friend Jewel's team. Unfortunately, Jess's parents find out and Jess is banned from playing soccer! Then after watching Jess suffer, her dad finally lets her play in her big game on her sister's wedding day! She scores the winning goal and then gets an offer to play on the women's soccer team and go to college at Santa Clara. Jess gets really excited and goes to college there with her friend Jewels. To find out more about her adventures, go see this great movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer March 8, 2010
Bend it like Beckham is a wonderful story about a teenage indian girl whos dream is to play soccer. And when she plays soccer she wants to be and feel as good as Beckham a famouse soccer star. When her mother sees that her daughter is still playing soccer even though it is against there religion she bands her from playing soccer. Now this indian girl must find a way to live her dream without her mom finding out........ The movie was overall very good there was some very brief sexy content and talks about sex and homosexuals (lesbians). Also some people get drunk there also is some yelling and some strong themes. Also on top of that there is some pritty iffy language here and there. At the beggining the indian girl lyes to get her way and gets herself into trouble and unhappiness. But in the end she learns lying never solves problems and its not the way to make your dreams come true. I give this movie 4 stars and say that it is a bit iffy for 10 for some strong themes, language, and some sexy stuff that may be stretching the limit for some 10 year olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPop_Philosophy June 19, 2015

Perfection

As a kid not many movies spoke seriously on topics such as tradition and homosexuality. This was the first movie I ever saw that took the relationships of the characters and didn't make it heteronormative. The sexuality of the characters was never immediately assumed to be straight and the stereotypes that define lesbian characters were not present. The take on family bonds and society's stance on women and there place was also interesting. Any child old enough to understand and grasp basic concepts should be free to watch this movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydoralovesl12 January 16, 2010

Really good.

This movie was awesome.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

AWESOME!

I HATE sports movies. And yet, I LOVE this movie. Strange? Not after you've seen it. It's so much more than just a sports movie because it has a whole different dimension and storyline. Also, any teenage girl will certainly appreciate Jonathan Rhys-Meyer as the coach. It is laugh-out-loud hilarious at times and you are so caught up in everything that happens and feel just as bad as Jess whenever something goes wrong. Rent it, or better yet, buy it! You'll love it!
Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2010

great movie about a girl that struggles to pursue her dreams

This is my FAVOURITE movie of all time very good, but it makes me want to play soccer everytime i see it.
Kid, 11 years old April 1, 2013

the best

i think its a good film that children from 10 could watch and well little parts of it children might get a bit ovewhelmed but in my oppion its the best film
Teen, 16 years old Written byRocknrollwriter4 June 1, 2012

Very good movie for the family! :)

I enjoyed watching the movie very much. I felt it was a great story rich in positive social values, like the importance of family, taking a stand for yourself, understanding other cultures, and the obstacles of love. The acting was fantastic as well. A good movie all around, entertainment (with a good message) for the whole family!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissAmi December 29, 2011

Amazing movie for all the family!

tells a very possitive message!!! great for all ages!!! amazing fun!!! Great cast!!!! Recommend this movie for everyone!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysillywiz May 15, 2011

Soccer Star!

I think it is a very good movie. It's all about an Indian girl who sneaks behinds her parent's backs. In the end, she gets her way because she just loves soccer and her family sees it's important to her. The messages are good, but there are a few iffy parts. Such as the soccer team gets drunk at a party in Germany. It shows one scene where the main character's older sister is having a bit of fun with her fiancee in their car. At the end of the movie Jess, the main character, shares a long and interesting kiss with her ex-soccer coach. All in all it is one of my favorite soccer movies.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. June 11, 2010

Great movie for the whole family!! And I mean GREAT!!

I just watched this movie with my family, including my parents and my 11 year old sister, and it was a HIT! It was a fabulous tale with spunky and positive female role models, enough sports and amazing soccer for any guy to like, and positive messages and feel good lines thrown in along the way. Jess is such an amazing character with a real passion for soccer, but is intelligent as well. While her parents want her to follow a traditional Indian path and go to school, and then get married and fatten up a husband and children, Jess wants to play soccer, or football as they call it in Britain. And when her parents crack down on her to go to university, Jess is offered the oppurtunity to play on a girls soccer team, the first time she's played besides at the park. The ending is great, maybe not very realistic, but heart-warming and touching, and really makes you think about parenting, passions, and doing the right thing. An amazing movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byemmaforeva2010 May 23, 2010

Great movie!!

I think it was very insperational for kids, because I know when I watched it I got inspired and started doing soccer. I am enjoying it very much!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykrazypanda45 June 6, 2009

A must see

This is a great movie that I saw ith my cousin and we loved it!!
Kid, 11 years old September 1, 2016

Good movie!

Teaches kids to follow their dreams.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAngelastyles July 18, 2015

Good but could be better

I personally like the thought of the movie. This is true we Indian girls have our life and we can see any dream we want. This movie was good but not so good, I mean it won't be time waste to watch that movie but the acting of the main character and the two mothers character were too much for me, this was over acting for me. I feel Gracie movie is better than it.
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2014

Too overrated

Sex- 2 (Mild Sexual References) Language-2 (Mild Coarse Language)
Kid, 11 years old August 2, 2013

Risk it Like Beckham

This movie has a wonderful message about following your dreams, but it has drinking, smoking, language, and some risque romantic scenes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfilmreviewer3 February 12, 2012

Fine

First time I watched it I thought it was brilliant but when I watch it again it is boring in parts and does not pull me in. Not inappropriate or anything though, so fine for kids 11 and up.
Kid, 12 years old December 28, 2011

Good message, iffy language

I thought this movie had a nice message about doing what makes you happy. Although some of the characters use innapropriate language, it doesn't go too far (in my opinion) and they don't use it too often. There are also some iffy scenes with Jess's sister and her fiance, and some part might be a little too sexy for some kids. The main character often sneaks out of her home to attend her football practice against her parent's will and constantly lies about it. I would pause if your child might pick up on this behavior. There is some mild talk concerning breasts, so I would not suggest letting your child watch this movie if they are uncomfortable with that subject. There is also talk of lesbians, and it didn't bother me at all, but if you don't support that then I don't recommend watching this. Overall, this movie has strong female role models (which we all know most movies need) and a very good message, but some language and scenes might disturb some audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCatLover71 December 22, 2011

Funny and really good

I watched this film at school as part of my Other Cultures project, and it was really funny. It has a bit of English minor swearing that viewers from abroad probably don't know. It encourages feminism and it contains about 3 cast members from Eastenders (not telling who) in the wedding scene. I'd recommend it, but not really to children that are too young.