A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about the actions of the drug companies and the FDA as portrayed in this movie. Were they doing the best they could? Or was business (and profits) getting in the way of helping people?
- Even though Ron Woodroof more or less broke the law, is he still a hero?
What's the movie's position on AIDS treatment? Does the movie advocate healthy living over hospitals and prescription drugs? Where do the two meet?
- In theaters: November 1, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: February 4, 2014
- Cast: Jared Leto, Jennifer Garner, Matthew McConaughey
- Director: Jean-Marc Vallee
- Studio: Focus Features
- Genre: Drama
- Run time: 117 minutes
- MPAA rating: R
- MPAA explanation: pervasive language, some strong sexual content, nudity and drug use
- Last updated: November 24, 2019
For kids who love true stories
Our editors recommend
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.
Streaming options powered by JustWatch