Kid reviews for Disobedience

Disobedience Poster Image

a really great movie for those mature enough to appreciate it

parents, this isnt the kind of movie your kids will want to watch with you, and probably wont ask for permission to see it either. the movie follows a woman returning to her orthodox jewish community, of which she was shunned 10 years ago, after the death of her father. ronit sees her childhood bestfriend, esti, who she was caught hooking up with when they were teenagers. ronit is a bisexual woman and esti is lesbian, though in a straight marriage with a highly ranked man in the community. there are sex scenes in this movie, two brief ones and one of ronit and esti that lasts a couple minutes. only breasts and back nudity are shown in the scenes. i wouldnt want to watch this movie with my parents because of the scenes just because it would be awkward. but dont think i would be bothered seeing it over the age of 11/12. in my (controversial) opinion, disobedience isnt that explicit, i think the parents age ratings would be different if this were a straight movie. although this movie isnt particularly scarring, it would be pretty boring for tweens and kids. i watched this at 14 with the life experience of being a queer teen in a greek orthodox community and loved it, i was able to appreciate the meaning and messages. i'd say a mature 13 yr old would be the youngest to actually enjoy this movie. i know a lot of people have been complaining about misrepresentation of the jewish community, but i found it quite truthful of my experience in a (greek) orthodox community. Disobedience is a beautiful movie about love, faith, family and freedom that only gets better every time you watch it and every interview you read. (btw i highly recommend the book the movie was based on, disobedience by naomi alderman)

Meh

Well it's important for kids to learn about all kinds of realationships but you wouldn't show anybody who would not be comfortable with seeing this. I say 18 because I mean personally I don't really think this is appropriate. It seems like an adult film. It's your choice if you want to teach your kid about this.