All parent member reviews for Evil Dead

Parent Written byApples21 April 13, 2015

Saved My Sons Life

I think this movie is great for all ages. The moral of the story is strong and so it is a valuable experience for young children. My son is only 10 however and the nightmares induced by it have yet to dissipate. You should also be warned that there is kissing at one point so you should cover you kids eyes at that part.
Parent Written byChristian parents August 2, 2015

What happened?

The review went from 17 to 18! Keep it consistent common sense. Now I don't know if I should let my 13 yr old watch thanks to this change.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 16, 2015

Non-comparable reboot, flat acting, non-creative dialogue, compensated for it's scintillating special effects.

The 2013 version of the horror classic is not terrible, as for the special effects were the only star component of the film; the plot and setting is blatantly predicable - a secluded old cabin in the woods, a bunch of young adults seek an escape in an effort to help of their friends get sober from her drug addiction, then they discover a book heavily incorporated with dark Satanic incantations and scriptures - and decided to recite from it, thinking there would be no consequence of doing so, then... blood and gore galore. Pretty linear, huh? The Evil Dead is mainly manufactured for the eyes of the sadist. If you have a propensity for extremely graphic horror violence and gore, caring less for the poorly executed storyline and egregious dialogue, then you will enjoy this one. Just to include, this film may be too intense for younger teens, as the nightmarish, demonic imagery, strong profanity, rape sequence, animal cruelty, and disturbing sexual content will be upsetting or unnerving to some who aren't accustomed to the horror genre.
Adult Written byThe_Reaper 6184 April 5, 2013

"Evil Dead": a well-made but extremely violent horror film

It has been reported this remake of the 1981 horror film initially received an NC-17 before it was trimmed for an R. However, this is still an extremely violent and gory film. Parents should take this rating very seriously. The movie tells of five young people going to a cabin in the woods, where one of the group hopes to kick her heroin addiction. Once they are there, one of them foolishly reads from a book and unleashes a demon that begins to take them out, one-at-a-time. There are no real positive messages or role models in this movie, save for the fact four of these people are at the cabin to help their friend. The violence is near relentless. At the start, a young girl is attacked, beaten and set on fire. Once at the cabin, after one of the hapless characters unleashes the demon, the characters are subjected to an overwhelming amount of torture. One character slices her face with a shard of glass, with the camera lingering on the gory aftermath. She later has her head smashed with a toilet lid. Another girl slices her arm off with an electric knife. Moments later, the arm falls off with the usual gory results. A nail gun is used as a weapon multiple times. A character has her hand pinned under a vehicle, forcing her to pull until it rips off while the camera makes sure to catch every detail. While possessed, a character uses a box knife to slice her tongue in half. The demon transfers to two characters by spitting blood into their mouths. Another character is beaten repeatedly with a crowbar, after he has been shot multiple times by the previously mentioned nail gun. A dog is briefly shown being killed with a hammer. Language, while not as constant as the violence is still typical for this time of movie. F---, s---, c---, b---- and variations of these words are used throughout the course of the film and some are seen in written form inside of the discovered book. The female lead is seen smoking in her first scene and later she disposes of what is clearly her stash of drugs. Her behavior after her possession is mistaken for withdrawals in the first half of the movie. There is some sexual material. The demon possess one character when it takes the form of a black slime which then crawls up between the girl's legs. One of the possessed girls crawls on top of another female character, sniffs her inner thighs then possess her by kissing her with a mouthful of blood. With the recent onslaught of possession and haunted house movies, mostly notably the "Paranormal Activity" films, parents have children who will want to see this, especially if their children are in high school. However, unlike those films or the films of the like that have been released since, this is clearly an extremely brutal film that goes well beyond the jump scares of the "Activity" films, "Insidious" or "Sinister".
Parent Written byPakistanPEGI December 17, 2014

No one under 18

This movie should be rated NC-17 but it is R and it is rated 18 by BBFC and OFLC and in PakistanPEGI review it is "Not for Kids aged 17 and under". Extreme violence Strong language(f--k,sh-t,c--k,c--t,a--hole,motherf--ker,f--ker)
Adult Written bybobm1 December 11, 2014

Its funny

its not bad a little gory.The second one sucks
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 July 22, 2013

new remake of a so called masterpiece

The movie has a role model of a woman who is trying to stop her drug habit. The movie has many violent scenes as you know it is a modern day remake horror film. There are many scenes that the demons use many foul language. But i thought this was better then the original and had more of a story
Adult Written bywonder dove July 8, 2013

Holy Canolli!!!

What a movie! I've never seen anything so brutally violent. The whole atmosphere of the film was frightening, it's ridiculous! I liked it a lot! The characters were really decent (unlike a lot of other lame characters in horror movies who act stupid), they were likable and actually cared for each other as true friends would. Brother & sister appear to be close. No non-sense drug use or drinking, just a genuine female character taking time out with her friends to kick her heroin habit. I've never seen the original so I can't compare them, but this was good and downright scary as ever!!! A great movie to scare you out of your socks! Violence is very very very strong, brutal and gory. Language is also very strong including some sexual remarks from a character in demonic form. Sexual content mainly includes in demonic form, such as demon slits her tongue and tries to kiss another character, some dirty phrases, a black snake-like sludge crawls up a girls skirt. This is much too violent for teens and should only be viewed to the 18+ crowd.
Adult Written bygabrieltnc April 29, 2013

Loved it!!!!!!

I loved this movie so much!!!! It wasn't very scary; I had more fun screaming with everyone else in the theater rather than actually being scared. It did have a few jump scenes that I fell for though. Very bloody (i.e. it literally rains blood in a scene haha) and the infamous "tree rape" scene made everybody yell and cringe. I was a little disappointed that the "we're gonna get you" scene wasn't in the movie, b/c that creeped me out
Adult Written bydarthsitkur April 27, 2013

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from seeing this with my stepdad and it was FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byRun boy run. April 8, 2013

Rare entertaining horror remake, good, but hard to stomach all the gore.

Extreme gore, with gallons of dripping, spraying, vomiting, and in a ending sequence, raining blood; fighting; bashing with blunt objects; slicing and stabbing with shards of glass; shooting with nail gun's, burning alive with skin graphically melting off the body; bloody severed limbs; and being scalded with hot water. Dead animals are shown. The "tree rape" scene from the original movie is repeated here with sharp thorned tree branches tearing at the victims skin.