Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Flowers in the Attic

'80s pulp novel gets creepy with evil adults, incest.

Adult Written bywonder dove November 12, 2014

Good remake!

Flowers in the Attic was well done for a remake of the original 1987 movie. Good acting but lacked some depth that the original had, it wasn't near as intense in the escape scenes. Teenage Kathy (Kiernan Shipka), Christopher (Mason Dye) and their much younger sibling twins Carrie (Ava Telek) and Cory (Maxwell Kovach) are four beautiful children of mother Corinne (Heather Graham) and father (Chad Willett). When the father is killed in a car wreck, they're left with nothing and Corinne has no choice but to take them to live with her rich parents, an ill father and a religion obsessed mother Olivia (Ellen Burstyn) who torments the children as well as her daughter Corinne specifically for engaging in an incestuous relationship, often brainwashing her grandchildren to be the Devil's Spawn. In order for Corinne to be accepted by her mother and to inherit her fathers millions, she must keep the children a secret by hiding them up in the attic, but months turn into years until Corinne stops visiting her kids and ultimately becomes just like her evil mother as the money and luxury take over her life. They turn to each other for comfort in a time of puberty and adolescents, the brother and sister start to have feelings for each other. When an innocent life is taken, they will stop at nothing to escape the attic but the memories will always live on. Violence has a scene of a woman who was whipped, her back is shown covered in bloody marks. Some screaming, arguing and verbal abuse. Sexual content has kissing of adult couples, an incest relationship between teenage siblings with some mild references, a scene of kissing and waking up under a blanket together (brother shirtless, sex implied), some talk and accusing of incest relationships, a teen boy looks through a magazine of women (not shown). Language is very mild but a lot of religious references to "evil" and the Devil's Spawn and that "God sees everything". Not much drinking shown. Is it worth seeing? Absolutely, but the story is slightly different than the book. Petals on the Wind, the 2nd installment, is also recommended but for mature viewers! This one is okay for 14 and up!

Adult Written byVanillacola February 20, 2016

Flowers in the attic

I have never watched the movie but I read the book last year in 8th grade when I was13. Based on what happens in the book this should be for older teens. There is incest,poisoning,. There is also a sex scene which is sort of graphic. But I have heard the book is better than the movie so maybe your kid could read the book first. I am going to read the rest of the series as well as the other series that exist.