Parent reviews for Galaxy Quest

Hilarious, fast, funny, fresh fun for the family.

Parent of a 3, 4, and 6-year-old Written bymarianpriegel February 12, 2010

Beware of the "more than mild" language for younger viewers

"God D--n" "sh-t" - among others were used in just the first few scenes of the movie. Also, more adult humor than expected.

Parent Written byrydisme March 3, 2015

Not for younger kids

Common Sense Media got this age rating wrong again. This is one of my favorite films - so funny, great acting, - but because it was rated age 8, I let my younger daughter (who was 8) watch. She was petrified of the villain and had nightmares afterward! Also, there is a little bit of sexual content, which was gratuitous. This is really a great film but not for young kids.
Adult Written byinfo_doc July 27, 2014

Not appropriate

Unless you are okay with foul language, alcohol abuse, and lots of breast shots.

Parent Written byRebecca M. January 12, 2014

Not for 8-year olds, but really funny!

Tim Allen is hilarious and this movie is about a group of former TV stars who meet up at sci-fi conventions (it is a spoof about Star Trek) until they are actually drawn into a real life out of this world experience with aliens from another galaxy. I loved it but it is not okay for 8-year olds with the drinking, cussing (GD, sh*t, D*mn it), sexual suggestiveness (women's breasts and making out), torture and threat to life. I think kids 12 years old or above and adults will really enjoy this film.

Educational Value
Parent of a 8 and 11-year-old Written byDavisflyer March 13, 2013

IT is a great movie, but the language is not mild as indicated

This is a good movie, but the 8 yr old rating is way too low given the language in the movie. I started watching it with my 11 year old and felt bad afterward. Boobs, sh*t, GD, A$$, are used, probably a couple others I can't remember either!

Adult Written bylartisane May 1, 2009

Think twice before showing to a young child...

THE TORTURING OF THE ALIEN HAS BEEN DISTURBING FOR OUR CHILD AS WELL AS THE DEATH AND THE SMALL CHILD LIKE ALIENS WHO ATTACK IN NUMBERS TO EAT ONE OF THEIR OWN WAS THE FIRST DISTURBING PART THAT MADE ME RECONSIDER THE MOVIE FOR OUR CHILD.AS ADULT WE DID NOT SEE ALL THAT CONTENT BEFORE HAVING A CHILD AND I HAD FORGOTTEN THOSE PARTS TO MY REGRET.ONCE AGAIN I WILL SCREEN THE MOVIES BEFORE HAND...!

Parent of a 11-year-old Written bybobsax May 24, 2010

good for older kids over 10 or 11.

It's a funny movie but I agree that it has a fair amount of adult humor that wasn't mentioned . It seems that in the old days movies had to have profanity to be cool. To bad.
Good for older kids .

Adult Written byCleanplease May 14, 2020

Not for pre-teens

Really isn’t suitable for kids under 13, unless monitored.
Skipped/muted scenes in order (doesn’t hinder the story in the slightest)
3.10 (boobs mentioned) Muted
9.07 (men’s bathroom stalls) skip for 30seconds
11.10 (bottomless scene) 5 seconds skip
12.00 - 12.40 bottomless skip
13.20-13.57 bent over bum inuendo skip
118.50-19.22 making our scene with alien skip

Other scenes have cleavage towards the end and one guy trying to look down her top. Can’t find the scene.

Aliens being tortured will scare kids and one alien warthog thing gets turned inside out and explodes. Little bit of bad language, Best to skip those moments when kids under 13 watching...

Other than that funny film... always cracks me up
Adult Written byIlovejesus777 May 27, 2019

They are foul mouthed

This movie has too much language for anyone to watch definitely not of God

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byOldscool January 19, 2019
Adult Written byQuinnStar November 2, 2018

Good for boys 10+

I think some of the words are a bit coarse and some of the action very possibly scary for 9 and unders, but it is SO hard to find movies for tween boys that are not filled with sex and violence and bad language, but not G-rated - and this movie worked for us as more 'grown up' to get his interest, but still young in spirit and not too crass. And it is funny! Also worked for father and son (a young 12).
Parent Written byLaRue V. April 20, 2018

Great SiFi

My Grandson and I watched it together and laughed from beginning to end. It was a great spoof. Shows how we can help one another

Parent Written byKbab2000 November 24, 2015

Classic snark-fueled Tim Allen

This movie lacks a story line and character development. It depicts a bumbling interstellar crew who...like to make jokes. Bad jokes.

Parent Written byerinw2 October 19, 2014

It should be for 6

Parent Written bymondo64 August 18, 2014

Worth the "Quest"

I watched this film when it first came out some years ago and for me, it's just as clever and funny today as it was back then. This time, I got to enjoy it with my children. Although many of the references in this film can be construed as too complicated for kids, there is enough alternate entertainment to ensure all-around enjoyment for all. And, you certainly don't have to be a fan of Star Trek to understand and enjoy some of references made by this film. This film goes out of its way to ensure that it can be enjoyed by all. The only disagreement I have is with Common Sense Media's rating of this film where they indicate "No" positive message. I disagree as I believe this movie demonstrates team work, honor and loyalty - especially when facing adversity. In fact, it is the entire basis of the film and the reason the Aliens seek-out the former TV characters in the first place. It is by watching the show, and by observing how the actors work together that the Aliens decide to seek out the actors; and of course, these are qualities that have to be repeated by the actors when facing danger once again. I totally love this film, and I highly recommend it!
Parent of a 9, 9, and 16-year-old Written byebmunz May 23, 2009

Fun but edgy for kids

My son said this was either the funniest scary movie or the scariest funny movie he'd ever seen. There are some frightening images even in a scifi context. You need to watch this with your kids.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byhipchick97 May 22, 2009
Great movie very funny!!!!!
Parent of an infant, infant, 3, and 5-year-old Written byMississippiQueen January 7, 2009
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Spoof type movie

This movie would be an excellent spoof movie if they had less breast shots.
Adult Written byrjricci April 9, 2008

we laughted out loud

i just watched this with three 10 year old girls and and 8 year old and my husband and we were all laughing out loud. i had to explain a few times about the setting - a star trek like group of actors and all their fans at a huge convention - but the kids all really enjoyed it, even though they've never seen star trek or anything similar. this is just a funny movie! it's worth grabbing at the video store.