Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Jarhead

Intelligent and bleak; for mature audiences only.

Adult Written byi have i s April 9, 2008

interesting

good movie but if you were in the military you will understand
Adult Written byCatlysha April 9, 2008

thank you... a film that lets me use my brain

This film can be summed up by the lyrics of a single song 'War... huh... what is it good for...absolutly nothing, say it again', i forget who the song is by, but you get the picture. Yet while it manages to display the dissilusionment often felt about modern political war, the film manages to stay clear of too many cleches that surround what life in the miltary is like. This balance is most notable in the role of Sworff played by Jake Gyllenhaal. who simultauously critricses the marine corps, yet willingly partakes in the life he is presented with as a result of being in the marine corps!! All in all the film is an intelligent look into the military and war with the indervidual stories of people found within the marine corps taking the main focus rather than any overt political comment. in my opinion this adds to the films genius, by presenting the facts and reality of the characters it leaves the audience to decide what to make of what happens within the film. In this way forcing the audience to think, and distencing itself from other shoot um up action films where answers to moral dilemers are often given in neat little packages. with this film you have to face in full, the range of human capabilites and feelings, from heroism to cowadice, to anger, hate and love, its all there.
Adult Written byteachermom April 9, 2008

The point is...there is no point

This is a well made film with good pacing, amazing scenery and special effects (digging foxholes in a burning oilfield flooded with oil, charred bodies and burned out vehicles, human branding), and excellent acting. What it lacks is plot and a point. Unless, the point is that there is no point and there is no beginning, middle and end to war. One leaves this film feeling that one has an inside look at what it is like to be a Marine and to be on the desert in war. There is way more swearing and sexual content than in most war movies. Except for a very graphic scene of the charred bodies after Allied bombing of an Iraqi highway, there is really not much violence or gore. This is mostly about feeling trapped and frustrated and disappointed. I want to read the book now. There seems to be a really good story trying to get out of the main character. I don't think we really get access to the best part of the story in this movie.
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008
its sucks its only for teens & growing ups.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byjsharpe October 17, 2009
this movie has so many f- bombs that kids can't repeat

Adult Written byseenit April 9, 2008
Parent of a 9 year old Written bypooprap April 25, 2015

Good for adults

If your child has seen other war/violent movies and seen innaproprite images then should be fine if you are interested in joining the military this movie is great for you

Parent Written byJendo January 12, 2013

Skip It

Absolutely revolting. Swaggering testosterone-drunk macho knuckle-dragging primates. No redeeming value (actually I couldn't watch all of it, it was too disturbing watching it with my teenage son in the same room). Gross animalistic behavior, potty-mouth language... I guess that's enough.

Adult Written bycrownjewel82 April 9, 2008

Excellent

This is definitly one of those movies that every young adult should see. Especially those considering the military. The story is realistic. The characters are believable. And the content is not too bad given how far they could have gone.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Parent Written byPlague January 8, 2010

Jarhead

A cool movie for those warfare movie lovers. I never saw this movie in theaters, but my friend insisted I watch it with him on DVD. I'm glad I did.